1210 replies to this topic

#821 JasonWll

JasonWll

Rookie

• 218 posts
  • Fan Since:Ever
  • Fav. Laker:Earvin Magic Johnson

Posted January 26, 2014 - 04:53 AM

Yes, Blake was averaging 7 with a more or less healthy roster.  Marshall is averaging 5 more assists than that with a worse depleted roster.  There is a difference. 

Blake was averaging 7.7 apg

Marshall is averaging 9.6 apg

How that's 5 more per game is something that you're gonna have to explain to me like I'm a 4yr old.

Posted Image

#822 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Sixth Man

• 3,643 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 26, 2014 - 04:54 AM

I love the Marshall pickup, but i have one concern: he seems like he's extremely depended on having the ball in his hands. Playing alongside Kobe and whoever we end up drafting/signing, is that going to be a problem. Or am i wrong?

Also, what do you guys think about his defense?

#823 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,748 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 26, 2014 - 04:59 AM

Blake was averaging 7.7 apg

Marshall is averaging 9.6 apg

How that's 5 more per game is something that you're gonna have to explain to me like I'm a 4yr old.

Per 36 Marshall is averaging 10.2  The only reason it's 9.6 is because his first few games he barely played, then played sort of normal minutes off the bench when X got hurt and then he put up 10/7 coming off the bench.  That's the only reason his assist numbers were low, I'm talking about as a starter.  Not in garbage time when you hit a three. 

And since becoming a starter he's averaging 12.  If you want to break it down he's averaging 4.3 more assists than Blake did as a starter.  
And per 36 he's averaging 10.2 assists per game which means that his minutes played(which is at 38) only gives him 1.8 more assists.  Which means that even if he played "normal" starting 36 minutes a game, he'd average 10.2 assists in this league. 

Which would be 2nd behind Chris Paul.     Hope that explains it to you easily ;)    

ONCE AGAIN, stop ducking this question 

About the shooting.. you don't have to answer that.  Even if it dropped down to 40% from three it would still be solid and there's a lot of time to see.  

Though I've never known someone that "can't shoot" or sustain improvement go through a 10 game span shooting 47% from three when he averages nearly 5 threes a game on a team with no legitimate double team worthy player on it to keep defenses away from him(which would be the benefit of playing with a guy like Kobe and is the precise reason why he struggles inside the arc because defenses do NOT have that worry) but is still averaging 10.2 assists per 36 as well as 44% shooting along with that

If I asked you to explain why he's doing that you'd probably avoid that question too. .  

So instead of trying to answer why he can despite "not improving or sustaining" in your opinion despite the stats that say different,  you can try to answer is the one you keep avoiding.

What point guards ever lead the NBA in assists not named Nash in "D'antoni's" system or came close to it? 

And in general  how many PG's average 10.5 in 36 minutes a night, period?  In any system? (which is what Marshall is doing) ? 

Those 3 extra minutes only give him 1.8 an extra assist.  So you want to back track on that a bit? 

Edited by Majesty, January 26, 2014 - 05:06 AM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#824 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 826 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 26, 2014 - 05:29 AM

Marshall has taken the opportunity he has been given and made the most of it. Cant complain with that. In a disastrous season like this he is one of the few bright spots.

What intrigues me most about him is his long term appeal. If he is able to make improvements to the areas he needs too(shooting,defense), he could be a quality player. At current state he is at least a decent back up. If he develops further and improves, that's just icing on the cake.

Marshall could also be a good trade assest if we draft a Guard next year, though I'd prefer to keep him. He is on a great contract next year at under a million. If we do hold on to him we would have his early bird rights after next year and could offer him up to about 5 million if he was worth it by then.

Anyway for now I'm just content watching him gain quality experience and playing time.

Edited by jax24, January 26, 2014 - 05:33 AM.

#825 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,748 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 05:39 AM

I love the Marshall pickup, but i have one concern: he seems like he's extremely depended on having the ball in his hands. Playing alongside Kobe and whoever we end up drafting/signing, is that going to be a problem. Or am i wrong?

Also, what do you guys think about his defense?

Marshall would help Kobe.. a lot. 

Cause it means he(Kobe) Doesn't have to create at the top of the key and put extra unneeded pressure on his body and he can attack from the block and be off ball like he wanted to be.  But Blake's injury put the breaks on that when he'd already settled into it by the 2nd game.

You can bet Kobe doesn't want to injure himself again.   Being off-ball and attacking from the block is his best bet. Having Marshall helps that, it means no more having to be PG for Kobe. Which is best for him right now and re-acclimation. 

Edited by Majesty, January 26, 2014 - 05:39 AM.

#826 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Sixth Man

• 3,643 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 26, 2014 - 07:39 AM

Marshall would help Kobe.. a lot. 

Cause it means he(Kobe) Doesn't have to create at the top of the key and put extra unneeded pressure on his body and he can attack from the block and be off ball like he wanted to be.  But Blake's injury put the breaks on that when he'd already settled into it by the 2nd game.

You can bet Kobe doesn't want to injure himself again.   Being off-ball and attacking from the block is his best bet. Having Marshall helps that, it means no more having to be PG for Kobe. Which is best for him right now and re-acclimation. 

As much as Kobe needs another ballhandler, he also needs someone who can spread the floor. Marshall may shoot well from 3 this season, when he's wide open, but for him to have real value playing off the ball, he needs to improve in that area. 

Defensively, he has decent size, but i'm not sure if he's any good. 

Question: would it be a disrespectfull to call him a rich-mans Ramon Sessions? 

#827 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 930 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 26, 2014 - 07:57 AM

I'm looking for a reason NOT to keep him and there just isn't one tbh.

One of the very few guys this year earning money on the team imo.

Opposing Coaches Brief Pregame Peptalk/Scouting Report:

"Now remember, go out there for opening tip, look at the guy you're matched up with, and bust out laughing!"

#828 Icker

Icker

Superstar

• 8,043 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 08:32 AM

Kendall Marshall is no superstar, but he's not scrub either. You can't accredit the passes he makes to the system, that's just nutst. During my time as a laker fan, I've never seen a better passer put the jersey on. And yaa, he seems to only knock down threes, but that's all Derek Fisher was called to do. Kendall Marshall is only going to get better from here, don't understand all the hate.

#829 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Off The Bench

• 2,799 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted January 26, 2014 - 09:08 PM

Hope Kendall is the guy we've been waiting for at PG. Another need to cross off the list in free agency.

• 39,205 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 09:10 PM

^ I'd still prefer Lowry though, but at the same time keeping Marshall. Lowry's a better defender and scorer. Not a better passer nor pure point guard although he can dish out enough dimes too, but the other two advantages he has are greater overall imo.

yo.

#831 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Off The Bench

• 2,799 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted January 26, 2014 - 09:15 PM

^ I'd still prefer Lowry though, but at the same time keeping Marshall. Lowry's a better defender and scorer. Not a better passer nor pure point guard although he can dish out enough dimes too, but the other two advantages he has are greater overall imo.

We've done more with far less at PG. Marshall, as it's looking now, is a fine piece to have rounding out your starting 5. A pass first PG. Doesn't take a lot of shots, nor does he want to, and he usually makes the right decision. Younger and cheaper than Lowry. I'd rather spend our money on other positions where we are not so well off.

• 39,205 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 09:20 PM

^ I mean I agree ideally if we more than likely can't get Lowry for reasonably cheap, then yeah, certainly other positions would be of higher priority, but if we can, then I do prefer Lowry still ahead on the pecking order.

yo.

#833 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,748 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 09:29 PM

I think it comes down to who you keep and who comes cheaper between Farmar and Lowry or even Harris at this point.  If Lowry comes at a high asking price the Lakers will pass on him to re-sign guys and if Farmar leaves or his injury worsens.   I think Marshall is a lock, or should be.  

• 39,205 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 09:32 PM

We still don't know whether Farmar will be able to completely return to the player he's capable of being at best with that hammy. I don't believe he'll be completely done such as fido, but he could definitely be hampered enough by it to no longer be at his max anymore.

yo.

#835 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,748 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 09:39 PM

Not this year at least.   But that could mean that we can re-sign him for the same amount this off season or a percentile increase. 

If he was still getting like 15 off the bench etc, there's no way he'd re-sign for the vets minimum. 

But in a down season as one of the injured players we may be able to re-sign him for the same amount or just a small increase.

Same can be said of X actually. 

Edited by Majesty, January 26, 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#836 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 930 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 27, 2014 - 06:26 AM

^ Yep. Injuries may have cost these players bigger contracts going forward and a more uncertain career.

Though we may be able to reacquire them for less as a result. But balanced against will they be worth it after these injuries?

Not easy being a GM. (Fantasy leagues don't count)

Opposing Coaches Brief Pregame Peptalk/Scouting Report:

"Now remember, go out there for opening tip, look at the guy you're matched up with, and bust out laughing!"

#837 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 865 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted January 27, 2014 - 07:31 AM

If the lakers plan on keeping farmar I think he should just sit out the rest of the year as well. Farmar as a back up to Kendall would be nice

#838 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,748 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 02:49 PM

If the lakers plan on keeping farmar I think he should just sit out the rest of the year as well. Farmar as a back up to Kendall would be nice

Yes it would be.  And it would save us having to spend extra on another point guard and focusing on other areas

#839 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 15,561 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 04:54 PM

stop askin me how to shoot with me in 2K, I don't know. I'm still tryin to figure it out in real life. lls

lol.

85146fdf-2f3a-45b0-8e85-9715e75efc22_zps

#840 Galácticos

Galácticos

Kings

• 2,955 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Young

Posted January 27, 2014 - 05:43 PM

Kobe

Young

Johnson

Pau

Hill

Don't use Kendall in 2K. He is like a 63. Mostly use the Bucks anyways.

CHAD.jpg

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users