Photo

Jay Z, Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar Dominate 2014 Grammy Nominations; Rap leading Grammy Nominations

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,005 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 10:27 PM

Do producers ever get nominated? Because whoever did Started From The Bottom should get Drake's Grammy if he wins it

#22 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted December 17, 2013 - 11:19 PM

Do producers ever get nominated? Because whoever did Started From The Bottom should get Drake's Grammy if he wins it

lol............................................. :smh:

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#23 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,005 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 10:56 AM

lol............................................. :smh:

Idgi....

#24 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 08:41 PM

http://www.rollingst...ations-20131206

Jay Z: 9 Nominations
Kendrick Lamar: 7 Nominations
Macklemore: 7 Nomination

Rap is leading Grammy Nominations.

I swear if Macklemore beats Kendrick, I will never watch the Grammys again. BTW, THERE ARE TWO RAP ALBUMS IN AOTY. Rap hasn't won AOTY since Outkast in '04. If Kendrick wins, I will go nuts!!!

Lol it's going to be mackelmore they've literally won over GKMC in every competition they've web up against each other

They rapped about gay equal rights

They have it in the bag. I personally find mackelmore to be incredibly corny and just downright goofy but they have been winning everything
Posted Image

#25 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Frank ocean losing to Mumford and sons absolutely average album proved the falsity of the Grammys to me last year

Also Jay-Z is nominated 9 times? That album is garbage
Posted Image

#26 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 08:52 PM

MMLP2 wasn't even that good... Was better than Yeezus though LOL

KDot got snubbed last year cause he didn't meet the deadline. They put him on this year.

Yeezus was better than MMLP2. Critics agree as well.

MMLP2 is ok, it doesn't say anything whatsoever, nor does it break any new ground. Eminem can rap his ass off, a fact that's been known for almost 2 decades. But the album is literally just a rapping exercise for about 85% maybe even 90% of it.

Yeezus from a production standpoint is incredible as well from a content standpoint. Definitely some stinkers on the album and it is nowhere near MBDTF, but it's better than MMLP2

As was probably every album nominated over it. I'd even take nothing was the same over it. I mean songs 1-3 are garbage, but then wu-tang forever hits and if you take out worst behavior which is corny as hell and play wu-tang forever to connect is fantastic music only to be derailed by the next 2 songs but then too much comes on and from there to come thru it shines again

Id say nothing was the same had much more high points than MMLP2

I never could listen to MMLP2 all the way through and now I find myself very tired with a good portion of the album
Posted Image

#27 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,030 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted December 18, 2013 - 08:56 PM

I guess some people can't appreciate RAP for what it is.

#28 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 09:07 PM

I guess some people can't appreciate RAP for what it is.

I guess some people can't appreciate what makes music good and what makes music bad

At least Kendrick Lamar is actually saying something of value when he goes crazy on a song.

If people think RAP is only about word play then they are mistaken. MMLP2 was a word play exercise, that's literally all it was. You can barely even call it an album. Might as well call it Marshall plays with words
Posted Image

#29 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,030 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted December 18, 2013 - 09:58 PM

I guess some people can't appreciate what makes music good and what makes music bad

At least Kendrick Lamar is actually saying something of value when he goes crazy on a song.

If people think RAP is only about word play then they are mistaken. MMLP2 was a word play exercise, that's literally all it was. You can barely even call it an album. Might as well call it Marshall plays with words

MMLP2 is just word play while Yeezus and NWTS are better nominations?

Not coming back to this thread.

#30 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,021 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted December 18, 2013 - 10:09 PM

Music is subjective, but it's easier to contrast the content (e.g. lyrics) of songs in comparison to others. Socrates in fact argued that listening to the wrong type of music can create the wrong type of emotion. That is an interesting philisophical idea, because music generates emotion, afterall.

With this stated, I think Kanye West is confused. He's rich as [expletive] and is saying corporations are trying to control everything he does. In an interview, he cites the example of a shoe company not telling him when the date for his shoe will be ready. If it's really that big of a deal, form your own [expletive] from the ground up. All of the major American-name companies didn't magically appear from no where, some started out as ambitious projects. Yes, there are factors that don't allow for the average person in America to do this (we can save that for Political forum), but Kanye West isn't the average person and has a lot of money. The reason you don't have full control over your [expletive] is because you are bought and sold, moron. Go listen to interviews by Immortal Technique and K-Rino on this very issue of corporations and the recording industry....

I do think that Kanye's overall production of his album is very smooth, but I'm not feeling his lyrics all of the time. He's been saying ridiculous things since ever since College Dropout, and not in a good way, either. I used to be really into Kanye, but I noticed he was never really the same after his mother died. He's more interested in clothes now than he is in rapping, he basically even said so in an interview on Sway Talk Radio. Again, respect to Kanye as an artist, and congratulations on his latest album and the overall production of it (some beautiful beats)... but Yeezus is lyrically inferior to MMLP2.

It's like comparing Takeover to Ether. Takeover is musically superior thanks to Kanye West... Ether is lyrically superior thanks to Nas being Nas. In my book, Nas won, but we all have different books we enjoy.

Edited by -Wade-, December 18, 2013 - 10:12 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#31 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 11:48 PM

Depends, I think MBDTF is incredibly strong lyrically and like a great director he doesn't just convey his message in dialogue, he also does so with the production, sounds almost become visual representations of his words

I feel he found similar things in Yeezus, again not even in his top 3 albums all time, but he found moments where entered MBDTF which IMO is still the best hip hop album of the last 5 years

To me MMLP2 is actually incredibly weak lyrically. Yes there are bright spots but I think word play is being confused to what he's actually saying. Evil twin for example sounds cool with word play but when you actually listen its all just nonsense, and I feel that way about a good portion of the album,

When the MMLP came out eminem was flipping off mainstream culture and essentially being a nuisance for all the right reasons. He was needed in music, but now, he needs to be someone who says something of value

He is going to go platinum regardless of content, so why not say something. On top of that MMLP2 is almost opinion less. I found MMLP2 to be like a transformers movie, enjoyable but nothing happened

Yeezus isn't a great album, it's why it won't win the Grammy, but IMO it says more than MMLP2 and more importantly for me it gives you a clearer look into the psyche of the artist youre listening to. I Am A God is an incredible look into Kanye, a song where he essentially puts it on the table that his arrogance is driving him crazy

Kanye says a lot of stupid stuff and acts like an ass but im not sure how you can call his music wrong, and eminems right, one of them talks about murdering people, raping women, shooting up schools, etc. the other one talks about falsified slights by society that are created by an incredibly insecure individual in his own mind

I'm confused lol to say the least

By the way I have no problem with eminem or his content I'm just wondering how you can attack Kanyes content and then present eminems as ok when in terms of obscenity it's not even close, especially over careers
Posted Image

#32 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 11:50 PM

MMLP2 is just word play while Yeezus and NWTS are better nominations?

Not coming back to this thread.

MMLP2 is just word play, it's a mediocre album that didn't deserve a nomination and was rightly left off the list

NWTS didn't deserve to be nominated either but it's better than MMLP2

Yeezus probably did deserve to be nominated but it doesn't deserve to win over GKMC
Posted Image

#33 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted December 18, 2013 - 11:58 PM

Yeezus was better than MMLP2. Critics agree as well.

MMLP2 is ok, it doesn't say anything whatsoever, nor does it break any new ground. Eminem can rap his ass off, a fact that's been known for almost 2 decades. But the album is literally just a rapping exercise for about 85% maybe even 90% of it.

Yeezus from a production standpoint is incredible as well from a content standpoint. Definitely some stinkers on the album and it is nowhere near MBDTF, but it's better than MMLP2

As was probably every album nominated over it. I'd even take nothing was the same over it. I mean songs 1-3 are garbage, but then wu-tang forever hits and if you take out worst behavior which is corny as hell and play wu-tang forever to connect is fantastic music only to be derailed by the next 2 songs but then too much comes on and from there to come thru it shines again

Id say nothing was the same had much more high points than MMLP2

I never could listen to MMLP2 all the way through and now I find myself very tired with a good portion of the album

You're out of your mind. That's all I'm saying. Yeezus was probably Kanyes worst album ever. A rap album is a rapping exercise? Outside of beats Yeezus had no real purpose or value. Lyrics were terrible. No replay value at all. Beats were okay on some songs. Lol if you think a rap album is better than another solely because of production, I'm just gonna stop posting on this topic. MMLP2 will get nominated next year; it missed the deadline. And it will get a lot of nominations. Four songs were on Billboard, why wouldn't it get nominated?

You just went on a whole another level of blasphemy just by even bringing up NWTS.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#34 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 12:09 AM

This article pretty much is identical to how I feel about the MMLP2 now I know people other than WADE won't read it because that would involve learning something but it's pretty spot on

http://www.grantland...ers-lp-2-review
Posted Image

#35 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 12:25 AM

You're out of your mind. That's all I'm saying. Yeezus was probably Kanyes worst album ever. A rap album is a rapping exercise? Outside of beats Yeezus had no real purpose or value. Lyrics were terrible. No replay value at all. Beats were okay on some songs. Lol if you think a rap album is better than another solely because of production, I'm just gonna stop posting on this topic. MMLP2 will get nominated next year; it missed the deadline. And it will get a lot of nominations. Four songs were on Billboard, why wouldn't it get nominated?

You just went on a whole another level of blasphemy just by even bringing up NWTS.

Yeezus 85
NWTS 79
THe Heist 74
GKMC 91

MMLP2 72

Read this, which you won't but it's the truth

http://m.pitchfork.c...ye-west-yeezus/
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users