59 replies to this topic

#41 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted December 18, 2013 - 11:27 AM

lol i grew up with black people.. :smh: i went to the same public school nas went. you don't think i would understand "black culture?" what are you jim jones now?  :laughing:

all im saying is that you can't disrespect a legend. 

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#42 NasWutangKB24

NasWutangKB24

KUSH

• 862 posts
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 18, 2013 - 11:39 AM

Jay-z used to be great but ever since around the first blueprint and black album he has been trash

Eminem is horrible now too....i don't think i have liked one album of his since around 2001

relapse and recovery might be two of the worst albums i have ever herd

#43 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,472 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 18, 2013 - 11:55 AM

lol i grew up with black people.. :smh: i went to the same public school nas went. you don't think i would understand "black culture?" what are you jim jones now?  :laughing:

He was being sarcastic because of the dumb statement BBIQ said

#44 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 11:56 AM

He was being sarcastic because of the dumb statement BBIQ said

oh oops

Edited by Ham, December 18, 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#45 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,447 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted December 18, 2013 - 12:10 PM

That’s ridiculous to me. So how do I respond to that? I can’t win. If I win, then they’ll be like, ‘See. Now chill. You’re a [expletive]in’ bully.’ And if it manages to throw a haymaker from the West Coast, then it’s like ‘Oooooh.’ It’s not even fun. Like, before I did it, because I would diss anybody. Now who has time to do this [expletive] everyday? But before, when I was running after the little fat [expletive] from Ma$e‘s camp, I was doing anybody.

Funny.....I dont remember Jay Z saying a damn thing when Pac put him on blast for real.

Now hes all brave heart but when he had to answer to Pac he was all scooby doo.

Was Makaveli the Don "competition" enough for Jay Z in 1994-1996? lmao. Jay Z wasnt even in the same realm as Pac was then. And Jay Z still isnt and never will be. Jay Z became HOV because Pac put him on blast. And Jay had no answer...till Sept 14th 1996. If Pac would never had mentioned him, hed be touring local night clubs/bars with DMX right now.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#46 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,920 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted December 18, 2013 - 01:06 PM

What else is a man worth half a billion suppose to rap about? He can't talk about struggling anymore. He can't rap about selling bricks. What is left?

You say you don't like how he raps about those things, but every other rapper out there raps about the same stuff. There are very few mc's out there that rap about more than just those superficial things, and their not main stream at all. And that's why their not main stream.

This could be challenged. There is plenty to rap about aside from one's own assets. He can't talk about struggling anymore, why not talk about other people who are struggling? Why not talk about current events on a larger scale, or talk about things that people who don't have money can relate to? Because he doesn't want to? That's a good reason, good for him. And that's why I don't listen to his new [expletive].

I do agree that a majority of rappers who rap with deeper meaning are less mainstream, but you're beginning to see more make it to the spotlight. Kendrick Lamar doesn't rap solely about money. Macklemore, even though I'm not a fan, is now mainstream and has some meaningful songs, though he has switched his style up from the time of "Otherside"; Immortal Technique, while not mainstream, isn't completely underground. He is independent, the mainstream of the underground, if you will. Hopsin is beginning to make a more mainstream appearance, and though not everyone likes his style, it is hard to argue that his raps lack deeper content. Eminem obviously raps about a lot of crazy [expletive], but even he often talks about something more real than just money... like the pain his family goes through in 1/3 of his songs from drug abuse and mental illness. These are serious issues that still plague America today, not becoming a multi-millionaire.

Even those who aren't as mainstream (and those who are sadly no longer with us), but have more than enough money to get by, don't focus on superficial content entirely. K-Rino, Common, Guru, Erykah Badu, Apathy, Killer Mike, CunninLynguists, The Last Emperor, Too Poetic...

Again, I agree that you have to look more underground to find such content, but that doesn't give the mainstream any excuse to spit loser-rap 24/7. We are living in different times from Eazy vs. Dre, Eminem vs. Benzino, Common vs. Westside Connection, Pac vs. Biggie, and Nas vs. Jay-Z... that's for damn sure. Yes, they rapped about money then... but it went WELL beyond that, the bars were genius and personal on many levels, often capturing real world events.

Also, "needing to be" one sort of race to "understand a community" or a genre of music is poisoning of the well at its finest, similar to a woman saying that a father can't have an opinion on the child because he doesn't know what it is like to be pregnant... OK.

At the end of the day, the musical geniuses are the ones who are remembered for spitting from their heart, not their wallet. If you devote your life to music because you love it and end up blowing up in the meantime, continue to produce music for the love, regardless of profit... that is something special. Something a lot more special than the rapper who ONLY produces music for money. It's good to get paid for your profession, I'm all for it... but let's talk about something else.

I know my opinion might be unpopular to some, but please, respect it. I treat each song as a sentimental object. I, personally, don't find too much sentiment in $$$... I can get that anytime.

Edited by -Wade-, December 18, 2013 - 01:20 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#47 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,700 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted December 18, 2013 - 01:27 PM

lol i grew up with black people.. :smh: i went to the same public school nas went. you don't think i would understand "black culture?" what are you jim jones now? :laughing:

I'm agreeing with you on everything in this thread. Sorry the sarcasm didn't translate over too well :/

#48 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,265 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 18, 2013 - 04:27 PM

I like reasonable doubt jay z. The newer mainstream stuff, I could careless about.
Posted Image

#49 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 05:19 PM

I'm agreeing with you on everything in this thread. Sorry the sarcasm didn't translate over too well :/

yea i realized it after LOL

damn -wade- went ham

Edited by Ham, December 18, 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#50 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,472 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 18, 2013 - 06:06 PM

IMO Big L would have been up there with Nas, Eminem, Tupac, etc if he did not die so young.

Big L was sick.

Edited by LakeShow805, December 18, 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#51 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,879 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted December 19, 2013 - 11:56 AM

Again.

It's easy to tell who puts words together.
But put it this way. As good of a lyricist as Em is, he doesn't resonate with the black community anymore and you can see his relevancy fade.

That might make u feel "some type of way" but it doesn't matter

And im sure most of u in here HATE the South rap, but it resonates in the black community.

And in hip hop, that matters

#52 James Worthy

James Worthy

Rookie

• 860 posts
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:36 PM

Tupac >>>>> everyone mentioned in this thread

#53 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:40 PM

lol thats debatable 

#54 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,713 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted December 20, 2013 - 11:58 PM

Rakim isn't a joke.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#55 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,191 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 21, 2013 - 04:31 PM

Nas is already better than Jay-Z. 

In all honestly Jay-Z is considered where he is because of what he's done with the business side of things and how much money he's made and what he's made himself.

But in terms of as a "rapper" Nash, Eminem, KRS-One, Gill Scott-Heron and whatever album Tupac releases next from beyond are all better than him.    There's underground rappers that would probably tear Z a new one.   But he's on top because of how he used his money what he made with it, the company and management he runs.  It's not even so much about his rapping anymore as there's many better rappers than him, they just don't make more money and that's all it's become about now.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#56 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 04:56 PM

Diddy has twice as much money as Jay Z

#57 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,134 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 11:17 PM

Uh false. Jay-z is worth 500 million, diddy is worth 580million
Posted Image

#58 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,826 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted December 21, 2013 - 11:37 PM

Ya'll need to be introduced to Mr. Kendrick Lamar?

He raps about the same stuff...

If someone said Big than nope. Yea I went there :cool2:

This could be challenged. There is plenty to rap about aside from one's own assets. He can't talk about struggling anymore, why not talk about other people who are struggling? Why not talk about current events on a larger scale, or talk about things that people who don't have money can relate to? Because he doesn't want to? That's a good reason, good for him. And that's why I don't listen to his new [expletive].

Because that isn't what sells.

Wade we have have several discussions on the different institutions put in place in Amercia and how we believe they are only a way for some people to make a lot of money. The rap  industry is no different. I believe it was Kanye that said,  What you think I rap for to push a [expletive]in' Rav 4? These rappers today might love their craft but at the same time they know that they can paid off of this. Like your post said you want some real hip hop with a message and true content go look up some underground rappers that arent sitting on millions. There are people in the game that have deeper content then others no doubt, but there isn't one big name that doesn't rap about the same stuff the industry looks for and sells.

The same amount of white girls know Kendrick lamar songs as they know Jay-z songs.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, December 21, 2013 - 11:49 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#59 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,968 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 12:01 AM

Kendrick is real tho

#60 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 10:26 PM

He raps about the same stuff...

Clearly you haven't listened to most of his songs.  :o)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users