59 replies to this topic

#21 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,003 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted December 16, 2013 - 10:58 AM

The thing with the Rap Industry now though is if you don't give guys like Jay props and respect you won't make it anywhere strictly by a business sense. A lot of MC's say he's their favorite when the camera is on but I wouldn't be surprised if off camera it's a different story.

Agree with this entirely, similar to basketball, gotta be in someones fanclub in order to belong in today's buddy system.

Also no need to be defensive, people here aren't negating Jay's previous influence, but anyone who says for quite sometime he has been 'average' at best has a good claim.

Edited by Ven, December 16, 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#22 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 16, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Eminem and  Nas were some of the greatest, but that was 10+ years ago and now you have up and comers like Kendrick Lamar. I still think at their best though, nobody can touch Jay Z, Nas, Eminem, Tupac, Biggie, etc. 

#23 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted December 16, 2013 - 11:22 AM

nobody can touch Jay Z, Nas, Eminem, Tupac, Biggie, etc. 

no one would even try...

for example: 

you don't want war with any of the greats

you [expletive] with jay. he'll buy your career LOL

you [expletive] with nas, he'll make ether part 2

untouchable.

Edited by Ham, December 16, 2013 - 11:24 AM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#24 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,825 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted December 16, 2013 - 12:09 PM

cmon, his latest album was absolute trash, his only good songs were featuring with other pop names. 

Em is doing it for 10 or so years and still is at a higher level than him.

Kendrick would kill him, some of the new cats would straight up ether him 

MCHG was trash? Really? I thought it was one of the best rap albums of the year. He dropped it after Yeezus, Mac millers album, and Born sinner. Song for song MCHG matches with those big rap albums of the year and if not passes them. You obviously arent a hov fan and that is cool, dont discredit the dude though.

Em's album was super overhyped and wasn't anything special at all. The big Eminem fans are what keeps him around. I used to like him way back, but recent years he isnt much more then a flow without substance. My opinion of course.

Yea I am sure K dot and all these new guys will torch Hov... Hov writes some new rhymes because he doesnt know what to do with his time. If someone really was seen as a threat to Hov he would get to writing some bars. He is pre-occupied with trying to do other things his whole life isnt rap like these other guys.

The thing with the Rap Industry now though is if you don't give guys like Jay props and respect you won't make it anywhere strictly by a business sense. A lot of MC's say he's their favorite when the camera is on but I wouldn't be surprised if off camera it's a different story.

The truth about the rap industry is rappers come and go, but Hov has been here the whole time. Remember when 50 was hot ish? How about when Wayne had people saying he passed Jay? Where are they now? I could go on and on about rappers that were hot and then fell off the face of the planet. Three have staied, Jay, Nas, and Em.

The thing is Nas has fell way off he refused to go commercial and after a while he ran out of real stuff to rap about. EM has a super loyal fan base since he started rapping. Loved the old EM over the years IMO he has gotten worst. Not the same and doesn't really say much anymore. Hov has been dropping albums since 1997 and wheather you like him or not the consensus of the rap world INCLUDING other artist is he at the top. Like I said rappers get hot for a year or two and then fade. Hov has been at the top since 97'. In 2000 you could ask who is the hottest out people would say Jay z. You could of asked that in 2010 and get the same answer. You can say that for no other rap artist. Staying power is what makes an artist great, screw one hot album and a few nice features 16 years of quality music tops all of that.

A lot of people on this board when it comes to music are quick to knock an artist as not good because they dont like him. Music is an opinion and everyone is gonna have a different one on who they like and who they think are better, there is a reason these debates go on forever. However, you can't knock a dude that has been on top of the rap game for 16 years and counting.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, December 16, 2013 - 12:10 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#25 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,444 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted December 16, 2013 - 12:28 PM

Dre still is in the background.  Someday when he actually has his album drop, I am curious to see the reaction.

I actually heard thats hes working on Chronic2020.

I can see the lyrics now...

"55 years old and I still got love for the streets its the D-R-E hittin them corners in the low lows girl".

"Its been half a century and people still wanna know how me n snoop is and who Im still cool with"

"RIP Eazy I still miss ya when the Alzheimers lets me remember ya".

"Still got it wrapped like a mummy cuzz I literally am one".

Serious...no disrespect to him and his career. But at 50 just stop. Pave the way for actual new artists with skills instead of clogging up the game and maintaining your own position. Hes made his millions. Hip hop does not need another recycled Next-Next Episode with Eminem telling us how we forgot about Dre again. 

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#26 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,700 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted December 16, 2013 - 12:51 PM

To me, Jay Z's of recent raps like Lil Wayne with better punch lines. All of his songs are about how much money he has, and how you can't [expletive] with him.

I can't stand rappers that build their flow and punchlines around bragging about themselves.

I don't know, just my 2 cents. I guess I'm one of the few who actually listens for content in rap, rather than just a punchline.

#27 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,825 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted December 16, 2013 - 04:31 PM

To me, Jay Z's of recent raps like Lil Wayne with better punch lines. All of his songs are about how much money he has, and how you can't [expletive] with him.

I can't stand rappers that build their flow and punchlines around bragging about themselves.

I don't know, just my 2 cents. I guess I'm one of the few who actually listens for content in rap, rather than just a punchline.

What else is a man worth half a billion suppose to rap about? He can't talk about struggling anymore. He can't rap about selling bricks. What is left?

You say you don't like how he raps about those things, but every other rapper out there raps about the same stuff. There are very few mc's out there that rap about more than just those superficial things, and their not main stream at all. And that's why their not main stream.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#28 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 08:24 PM

What else is a man worth half a billion suppose to rap about? He can't talk about struggling anymore. He can't rap about selling bricks. What is left?

You say you don't like how he raps about those things, but every other rapper out there raps about the same stuff. There are very few mc's out there that rap about more than just those superficial things, and their not main stream at all. And that's why their not main stream.

Ya'll need to be introduced to Mr. Kendrick Lamar?

Edited by Ham, December 16, 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#29 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,700 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 09:06 PM

There are a ton of subjects to rap about that don't involve money. J Cole is one of the better story-tellers in today's rap world. K Dot is probably the best up and comer.

Topic is still remembered today because of his amazing wisdom. To me, Jay Z is just like, "I'm rich, you're not as rich. I'm married to Beyonce, you're not." I don't hear much creativity with him, lately, to consider him up there with the greats.

#30 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,878 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted December 17, 2013 - 06:10 PM

There are a ton of subjects to rap about that don't involve money. J Cole is one of the better story-tellers in today's rap world. K Dot is probably the best up and comer.

Topic is still remembered today because of his amazing wisdom. To me, Jay Z is just like, "I'm rich, you're not as rich. I'm married to Beyonce, you're not." I don't hear much creativity with him, lately, to consider him up there with the greats.

Jay Z speaks to young black males fofrom the struggle. He is bringing insight into a world that a LOT of young  people are curious about.

Jay-Z is a Rap God

#31 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,878 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 06:10 PM

Rap STARTED like that. It's about braggadocio 

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,878 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 06:12 PM

I actually heard thats hes working on Chronic2020.

I can see the lyrics now...

"55 years old and I still got love for the streets its the D-R-E hittin them corners in the low lows girl".

"Its been half a century and people still wanna know how me n snoop is and who Im still cool with"

"RIP Eazy I still miss ya when the Alzheimers lets me remember ya".

"Still got it wrapped like a mummy cuzz I literally am one".

Serious...no disrespect to him and his career. But at 50 just stop. Pave the way for actual new artists with skills instead of clogging up the game and maintaining your own position. Hes made his millions. Hip hop does not need another recycled Next-Next Episode with Eminem telling us how we forgot about Dre again. 

SMH

how does Dre making an album stop a young artist from developing?

Young artist don't need the record label money anymore, so that's the ONLY possible way Dre can take from another artist.

I swear, people talk out their ass

#33 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,878 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 06:14 PM

Jay-Z 's verse on BDKmV Remix said it all\

Up in the clouds, me and my spouse/

it's for the BLACK CULTURE

Some of you don't get that

#34 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,878 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Nah. Jay speaks to rappers, particularly in the black community

Some of you aren't black and therefore aren't in tune with the culture

Some guys put words together nice. Some dudes have amazing flows.

Jay-Z is having conversations. He is on a different level than these guys. Noting to prove

#35 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,471 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 17, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Nah. Jay speaks to rappers, particularly in the black community

Some of you aren't black and therefore aren't in tune with the culture

Some guys put words together nice. Some dudes have amazing flows.

Jay-Z is having conversations. He is on a different level than these guys. Noting to prove

lol he is not on a different level than Eminem

Eminem would murder Jay Z

#36 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,878 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 08:28 PM

lol he is not on a different level than Eminem

Eminem would murder Jay Z

Em is another Rap God and while Nas isn't, he is a King amongst men

Andre 3000 is up there too

#37 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,713 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted December 17, 2013 - 10:01 PM

nas cant rap? nas is done? are you guys nuts? just listen to life is good album. every song is a classic. top 4 album from nas

Illmatic
Stillmatic

It Was Written

Life is Good

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#38 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 11:21 PM

who just disrespected nas rap game? ill meet you at qb or ps111, where i grew up

ya'll some disrespectful mother[expletive]ers. "tupac was like jesus, nas wrote the bible" - j cole.

damn wtf is with this generation

Illmatic is probably the best rap album to be ever made... smh

Edited by Ham, December 17, 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#39 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,700 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 02:03 AM

who just disrespected nas rap game? ill meet you at qb or ps111, where i grew up

ya'll some disrespectful mother[expletive]ers. "tupac was like jesus, nas wrote the bible" - j cole.

damn wtf is with this generation

Illmatic is probably the best rap album to be ever made... smh

Don't say that, you just don't get it. You don't get "black culture".

Seriously though, Jay doesn't touch Nas. King amongst men? Wow.

#40 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,471 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 18, 2013 - 08:02 AM

Yea ill take Nas and Eminem over Jay Z.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users