God I wish stern retired 5 years ago

#22 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 13, 2013 - 09:17 PM

We're actually 23rd in the NBA in points per 100 possessions (which is a better statistic, deflecting the pace of our opponents)...and uh...well, that's 23rd in the league, which is still bottom 10.

Last year, with Howard, we were 20th.

But, of course, the blame does fall onto the shoulders of MDA and our awful frontcourt defense.  Turnovers are killing us, also, but even if we took care of the ball more, we aren't going to stop teams from scoring buckets at the other end.

#23 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,338 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 13, 2013 - 09:24 PM

God I wish Dwight Howard re-signed with us.

The month of December, he's averaging 20.8 points (56% field goals) and 16.8 rebounds while also shooting 60% from the free throw line.

He's getting ready for a statement game when he comes to Staples Center.

#24 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,470 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted December 13, 2013 - 09:51 PM

Not gonna change until we get some actual defenders on this team besides Wes and get rid of MDA

#25 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 5,999 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted December 13, 2013 - 10:16 PM

We're actually 23rd in the NBA in points per 100 possessions (which is a better statistic, deflecting the pace of our opponents)...and uh...well, that's 23rd in the league, which is still bottom 10.

Last year, with Howard, we were 20th.

But, of course, the blame does fall onto the shoulders of MDA and our awful frontcourt defense.  Turnovers are killing us, also, but even if we took care of the ball more, we aren't going to stop teams from scoring buckets at the other end.

Part of our frontcourt defensive problems are that their is almost always a constant assault on the rim though correct? Dribble penetration absolutely causes our defense to go nuts. Don't know what it exactly is but our defense has to be tweaked a great deal. Adding more defensive talent can help of course. 

Edited by The Big Fish, December 13, 2013 - 10:18 PM.

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#26 PurPnYellowLaker

PurPnYellowLaker

Rookie

• 463 posts
  • Name:alejandro
  • Fan Since:platon
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted December 13, 2013 - 10:19 PM

Its not mda fault . Tyrone lue would take it to pau and pau cant even do a yhing about it

#27 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,750 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted December 13, 2013 - 10:46 PM

Majesty:  "If Blake were healthy, we would have only lost by 20."

Windu:  "It's Pau's fault".

West Coast:  "MDA sucks."

Jode Smokes:  "The sky is falling."

Me:  Its ultimately the FO's fault.  Old superstars, journeymen roster fillins, no draft picks, bad coach, dumb Kobe contract.  The late 80's/ early 90's drought may be short by comparison.   In other words, the sky is falling.

#28 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted December 13, 2013 - 11:01 PM

Me:  Its ultimately the FO's fault.  Old superstars, journeymen roster fillins, no draft picks, bad coach, dumb Kobe contract.  The late 80's/ early 90's drought may be short by comparison.   In other words, the sky is falling.

Sounds like you've summarized the entire forum. Do we even need a message board anymore? 

#29 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,623 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 13, 2013 - 11:06 PM

You can blame MDA all you want, but we just do not have the talent down low (interior wise).

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#30 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 11:40 PM

For the record, I've given MDA plenty of credit this year in getting these group of players to play .500 basketball while Kobe was out.  

He doesn't have the defensive players down in the paint, I understand that, but it doesn't change the fact that MDA's team's have followed this same script defensively over the years.  Whether it's the quick offense that leads to more possessions for both teams, lack of defensive commitment by the coaching staff, the player personnel, etc, it still falls on D'Antoni as he is the coach of the team's that give up 100 + points on average.

But good job outlining the forums for us, pretty spot on if you ask me  :laughing:

#31 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted December 14, 2013 - 12:27 AM

Part of our frontcourt defensive problems are that their is almost always a constant assault on the rim though correct? Dribble penetration absolutely causes our defense to go nuts. Don't know what it exactly is but our defense has to be tweaked a great deal. Adding more defensive talent can help of course. 

Good offense will always defeat good defense in one-on-one situations.  You can give me the five greatest offensive players in NBA history, and they would rain buckets on the five greatest defenders at their positions...1) if there was no defensive system in place, and 2) if there were no anchors to step in front of them.

But I'll also state that it doesn't help that a guy like Xavier Henry, who is five times the defender Jodie Meeks is, sees inconsistent minutes at two different positions on the court.  Don't get me wrong: Meeks is doing well on the offensive end, but he's just a shooter.

So, we're left with 12 different starters on a 14-player roster...just 22 games into the season.

Kobe, Henry, and Johnson should be enough, with a decent defensive frontcourt (that we don't have) and a decent defensive strategy in place (that we don't have) to be a top 15 defensive team in the league.

The Cleveland Cavaliers are 15th in the league in defensive rating.  Who on the roster plays defense?  Anderson Varejao, and that's about it...but they are coached by Mike Brown, who only cares about his defensive system (and you'll notice that, in turn, Cleveland's offensive rating is 28th).

Last year, if LA had a coach like Stan Van Gundy (just throwing a name out there that isn't mentioned enough), our defense would have been miles better...and that has been proven over and over again, with Dwight, back in Orlando.

Combine a good defensive coach with a good defensive anchor, and you'll intimidate slashers attacking the rim.  You'll change your opponents' game plans.  You'll force contested shots.  At one point, Kobe was all LA really had on the defensive end, but people were so scared to drive the lane vs. Shaq (more because they didn't want a foul hard enough to paralyze them), they weren't even driving with Derek Fisher on them.

#32 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted December 14, 2013 - 01:19 AM

While this team doesn't have a lot of defensive players in general, playing good defense starts with having a good defensive anchor and having a good defensive system in place.

It may feel like piling on, but I feel comfortable putting most of the blame on Pau and MDA for the defense.

And, Real Deal basically said what I was thinking. But, a lot better with more detail.

Edited by Japago, December 14, 2013 - 01:22 AM.

Posted Image

#33 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,847 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 14, 2013 - 02:49 AM

Why this defensive deficiency would surprise anyone is beyond me.

Didn't everyone know this was coming?

The trouble is teams that hire D'Antoni fashion their squads around his inherently defective offensive system, not only crippling them while he is the coach but for seasons afterward as they slowly recover a functional defense and offense.  This is all stuff the Lakers should have known going into this coaching decision they made.  The fact that they didn't is absolutely astounding to me - and a key reason why caring about this organization in its current state is awfully tough to do.

#34 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,793 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted December 14, 2013 - 03:19 AM

We're first in heart.

#35 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,764 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted December 14, 2013 - 06:46 AM

We're first in heart.

Where are we in the league for moral victories?

#36 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 07:19 AM

Where are we in the league for moral victories?

Last year we were, but we also started the season 17 different times.

#37 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,620 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted December 14, 2013 - 07:58 AM

We will go 3-7 in our next 10 if we're lucky

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#38 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,049 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted December 14, 2013 - 08:17 AM

On the bright side...a lot of the layups and dunks we're allowing the other teams are really exciting!

Edited by kball, December 14, 2013 - 08:18 AM.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick!, 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!)

#39 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted December 14, 2013 - 08:42 AM

Dwight was a good defensive anchor in the latter part of the season. He wasnt to start the season.

As far as this season. No solution for our interior D on this squad. The best you can probably do is Sacre and Hill in spurts with Wes, Xavier and Kobe out there directing the D.

Williams can move his feet but is often out of position.

First thing is first, though. Defensive rebounding.

We have to do it as a team. That means Wes, Kobe, and everybody else.

We can actually do better as a rebounding team if we don't get OUTWORKED like we did last

That was pathetic. It wasnt just skilled. It was 50/50 balls

#40 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 297 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted December 14, 2013 - 08:46 AM

For the first half of this short season, we had Steve Nash and Steve Blake.  Now we have an old and injured Kobe Bryant.  None of these guys could guard my Grandmother.  I watched the OKC guards just blow past our perimeter. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users