Photo

Google Wants To Build Army Of Robots To Replace Factory Workers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

• 40,431 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 04:07 AM

More & more humans being replaced by robots, technology. Welcome to our future.

http://www.huffingto..._ref=technology

We have some disheartening news for those who fear one day losing their job to a hunk of metal.

On Wednesday, The New York Times reported that Andy Rubin, the boss behind Google's Android operating system, is manning the company's next "moonshot" effort: A division building and experimenting with robots.

The project is similar to Google's initiatives to develop computerized glasses and driverless cars, but with one notable difference: The robots won't be sold to regular folks, but to businesses looking to streamline manufacturing.

"The company’s expected targets are in manufacturing — like electronics assembly, which is now largely manual — and competing with companies like Amazon in retailing," writes John Markoff, citing people familiar with the project. Google isn't saying much about what it's got planned.

Google's decision to disclose its robotics program comes on the heels of Amazon's announcement that it's developing drones that can deliver packages.

n-GOOGLE-ANDROID-large570.jpg?6

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#2 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,785 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted December 07, 2013 - 07:32 AM

Haven't people seen what happens when robots gain too much control?  I hardly am looking forward to Judgement Day.  

#3 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted December 07, 2013 - 11:43 AM

it be funny if apple makes robots too and they call it iRobot....

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#4 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted December 07, 2013 - 11:48 AM

I wonder if people in general realize where this puts them as far as job prospects....this century really will be interesting as it unfolds.

#5 lakersp4p

lakersp4p

Rookie

• 815 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted December 07, 2013 - 12:29 PM

how much are these things gonna get paid...

#6 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,129 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted December 07, 2013 - 02:23 PM

Pretty sure we are already using robots for a lot of factory stuff. 

• 40,431 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 05:28 PM

^ Of course, but it's only gonna' expand more dramatically I presume in our near & distant future.

it be funny if apple makes robots too and they call it iRobot....

I was gonna' say they'd probably have to buy the rights to the Will Smith movie franchise, but I looked at the title of the movie closely, and it's not spelled exactly in the typical what would be Apple way.

yo.

#8 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,518 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 07, 2013 - 05:45 PM

Learning how to fix, create, and modify technology = job in the future.

#9 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted December 07, 2013 - 06:37 PM

For qualified people, not all people are meant to receive that kind of education.

#10 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,326 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted December 07, 2013 - 06:56 PM

For qualified people, not all people are meant to receive that kind of education.

yup.. i guess quality control will be more prevalent with robots working... putting people out of work is something im never for

ap1.png

#11 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,129 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Yes but I think its more that you need to know how to use a computer and well if you want a good job that doesn't deal with physical labor. But really that just means you are able to look things up on the internet, use Microsoft Word and other simple applications. These days this shouldn't be a problem. 

The problem though is everyone thinks that a guy who has no useful skill deserves to have a dream job. Good jobs come from acquiring useful skills. I mean technically thats what college is. To gain useful skills to get a job. Though try telling that to a chicano studies major lol. 

#12 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,129 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 08:13 PM

yup.. i guess quality control will be more prevalent with robots working... putting people out of work is something im never for

Never ever stop progress. I said this before in another thread. If we forced Ford to stop making automobiles to stop them from destroying the horse industry where would we be today. Though it created allot of jobs in automobiles(mechanics,truck drivers, etc). Same thing will happen here. Technology needs to be maintained and that creates jobs. 

• 40,431 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 08:34 PM

The problem though is everyone thinks that a guy who has no useful skill deserves to have a dream job. Good jobs come from acquiring useful skills. I mean technically thats what college is. To gain useful skills to get a job. Though try telling that to a chicano studies major lol. 

People study me? I'm flattered.

yo.

#14 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,689 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 18, 2013 - 06:21 AM

Yes but I think its more that you need to know how to use a computer and well if you want a good job that doesn't deal with physical labor. But really that just means you are able to look things up on the internet, use Microsoft Word and other simple applications. These days this shouldn't be a problem. 

Not everyone can go to college, and we are not talking of dream jobs here. I don't think delivering parcels for amazon is a dreamjob...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users