Rank these all Laker teams

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 drk3351

drk3351

Rookie

• 14 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 09:59 PM

So me and 3 friends had a all-time Laker draft today, and we'd like it if some of you would judge. Just rank these 4 teams 1-4. I wont even mention which team is mine. Also keep in mind we didn't take into account how good they were when they were on the Lakers, so like Karl Malone just think of him when he was on the Jazz. Also we all kept in mind time periods, so for example George Mikan was taken in the 10th round cause he may have trouble in today's NBA.

Team A

PG: Gary Payton

SG: Mitch Richmond

SF: Elgin Baylor

PF: Dennis Rodman

C: Kareem Abdul-Jabaar

Bench

Adrian Dantley

Horace Grant

Ron Harper

Byron Russell

Mychal Thompson

Case for this team (i wrote all of them): A team predicated on defense and rebounding, with Kareem, Rodman, and Payton. It would be tough to score with also good perimeter defenders such as Harper and Russell off the bench. On offense Kareem is in the post, and of course Baylor does it all. Dantlry and Richmond can shoot the rock for sure.

Team B

PG: Jerry West

SG: Gail Goodrich

SF: Jamaal Wilkes

PF: Karl Malone

C: Wilt Chamberlain

Bench

Dwight Howard

Eddie Jones

Derek Fisher

Lamar Odom

Antwan Jamison

Case for this team: Maybe the best frontcourt with Wilt, Malone, and Wilkes an underrated SF. Plus two great scorers and shooter in Goodrich and West. Off the bench there is a great post defender in Dwight. And Jones would provide a scoring punch.

Team C

PG: Magic Johnson

SG: Byron Scott

SF: James Worthy

PF: Bob McAdoo

C: Shaquille O'Neal

Bench

A.C Green

Norm Nixon

Derek Harper

Happy Hairston

Glen Rice

Case for this team: You got Magic running the show paired with Scott and Worth guys he ran with. Add in Shaq and McAdoo and you got a dynamic offensive team. They also have good guard depth with Nixon and Green to come off the bench. This team sure has a dynamic fast break.

Team D

PG: Steve Nash

SG: Kobe Bryant

SF: Michael Cooper

PF: Pau Gasol

C: Andrew Bynum

Bench

Robert Horry

Kurt Rambis

Vern Mikkelsen

Vlade Divac

George Mikan

Case for this team: This team has deadly shooters and scorers Nash and Bryant. That's really though to defend. Then pairing up Bynum and Gasol again, which worked for 2 titles. Cooper will defend really well, and so will glue guys like Rambis off the bench. And lets not forget Horry, a key guy who will make you pay down the stretch.

lasportscentral.com a LA sports forum.

#2 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,988 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:14 PM

Easily B and C, dominating centers with great guard. Both defensively capable and athletic in any time. On one side you have West with his running mates in Gail plus a steady bench with the Mailman next to Wilt. But the fact you Magic, Worthy and Scott as opoosition is strong together.

If anything compared to all these, Group D is by far the weakest. Even in their primes, you'd fave deficits at Center, PF, Nash wouldn't be defensive factor, Bynum and Gasol would be abused nonstop. Only good thing is Kobe with Mikan which even then you could start Mikan and have Gasol off the bench. This Group is at a terrible disadvantage.

Group A is the best defensive team, Ill give them that.

Edited by Ven, December 05, 2013 - 10:15 PM.

#3 drk3351

drk3351

Rookie

• 14 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Easily B and C, dominating centers with great guard. Both defensively capable and athletic in any time. On one side you have West with his running mates in Gail plus a steady bench with the Mailman next to Wilt. But the fact you Magic, Worthy and Scott as opoosition is strong together.

If anything compared to all these, Group D is by far the weakest. Even in their primes, you'd fave deficits at Center, PF, Nash wouldn't be defensive factor, Bynum and Gasol would be abused nonstop. Only good thing is Kobe with Mikan which even then you could start Mikan and have Gasol off the bench. This Group is at a terrible disadvantage.

Group A is the best defensive team, Ill give them that.

so B, C, A, D?

#4 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,567 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:25 PM

I'm not too sure about Team C. Shaq can't run the way Magic and Worthy did. If you slow the game down for Shaq, Magic's game suffers.

Team A is scary on defense and Kareem and Elgin can score at ease. Pretty nice.

Team B would be the greatest pick and roll team ever, with that starting 5 and Dwight and Jamison off the bench.

Prime Kobe Nash Gasol Bynum Cooper is a scary as hell team. Prime Gasol was no slouch on D. Prime Nash is a top 10 PG of all time. Kobe is Kobe. Most won't like this team, but I do.

#5 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,988 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:28 PM

B and C is a toss up, maybe C because I actually like their bench slightly more. With A somewhere after and Group D all the way in the back. I base Team D at a disadvantage because of mismatches. In no way can you expect their front court to compete against the other front courts.

Although no Ceballos, Exel, Fox, and some other names you could've swapped.

C ≥ B > A > D

Edited by Ven, December 05, 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#6 drk3351

drk3351

Rookie

• 14 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:35 PM

I'm not too sure about Team C. Shaq can't run the way Magic and Worthy did. If you slow the game down for Shaq, Magic's game suffers.

Team A is scary on defense and Kareem and Elgin can score at ease. Pretty nice.

Team B would be the greatest pick and roll team ever, with that starting 5 and Dwight and Jamison off the bench.

Prime Kobe Nash Gasol Bynum Cooper is a scary as hell team. Prime Gasol was no slouch on D. Prime Nash is a top 10 PG of all time. Kobe is Kobe. Most won't like this team, but I do.

So whats your order?

#7 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,567 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:48 PM

A B D C, only cause I don't think Magic and Shaq can work together

#8 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,091 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 12:11 AM

Team A [expletive]slaps all other teams lol.

A lot of tier 1 and tier 2 HOFs in teams A, B and C. Team D is waaaay too weak. As much as I like the chances of prime Kobe dominating the other teams, going up against 3 best centers of all time with a lineup of Pau/Bynum will hurt no matter what.

Whoever drafted Team D has no idea about basketball. Lol.

#9 drk3351

drk3351

Rookie

• 14 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 07:24 AM

Team A [expletive]slaps all other teams lol.

A lot of tier 1 and tier 2 HOFs in teams A, B and C. Team D is waaaay too weak. As much as I like the chances of prime Kobe dominating the other teams, going up against 3 best centers of all time with a lineup of Pau/Bynum will hurt no matter what.

Whoever drafted Team D has no idea about basketball. Lol.

So a,b,c,d?

#10 Lemon

Lemon

Rookie

• 361 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 06, 2013 - 03:45 PM

C > D > B > A

If we're considering Laker days.

C > A > B > D

Considering prime across the board.

I like how very well balanced D is. Has the best shooters, great D, and has a great variety of bigs.

In the case of C, however. You have 2 top 10s of all time. vee made a good point about magic and shaq, but i'd say Shaq was pretty damn quick for his size in his prime. 

A is just a powerhouse defensively. B has some stuff that other teams have better on the perimeter.

EDIT: Moved B up because Wilt will play 48 mins per game.

Edited by Hit up the Post, December 06, 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#11 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 847 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 06, 2013 - 06:27 PM

I don't think you should have included Rodman. He played like 5 games as a Laker.

Some snubs: Jim Pollard, Metta World Peace.

My order: B, A, C, D, thought I think neither are bad.

Now, who would coach these 4 teams?

I'd say Phil, Riley, John Kundla, and either Mike Brown, Paul Westhead, or Bill Sharman. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users