• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,238 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted December 03, 2013 - 11:19 PM

people are gonna steal or destroy them...

Problem is that this would be a huge felony. Its being regulated by the FAA and would be treated like a plane of some sorts. So shooting one down or stealing it would land you in major trouble(like shooting at a plane trouble). Also those things will most likely have trackers and camera's sending constant feed back to the fulfillment center. So chances are you will get caught if you grab the thing. 

Also the only time they would go to grabbing range would be at a persons house and were there for the few seconds its actually on land. So if the person at that house stole it then they would easily get caught. So for people who don't live there to steal it they would have to go onto someones property and hang out there until it lands, this also being that they know its coming which would be unlikely. 

Also from what I heard they would only be doing this is good neighborhoods (low crime rate). So all in all I think the risk is very minimal. 

#22 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,238 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 11:32 PM

^Playing devil's advocate. I think that cuts both ways. We are beginning to see major leaps in AI (see Watson 2.0 and the new Wolfram language), in which computers may start taking the jobs of highly quality professionals. For example, computers that are learning to debate and reason might start making medical decisions instead of a professional (it's easier to deny someone the medical attention through a computer's algorithm rather than having a human doing it and affecting their conscience). For example, drones are becoming more and more automated and less and less user controlled. For example, the power of physical computing in pair with AI to automate almost ANY task (auto baking pizzas synced up to an online ordering system, automated payment systems in every store, etc.) With all of the advancements in auto-driving vehicles, I would not be surprised to see computers taking the jobs of taxi cabs, and possibly trains, airplaines, etc. through extraordinary developments.

With new tech come new jobs. For instance at my work were making software that would be downsizing one department and increasing massively on another department for a particular business. In the end they are actually getting more employees (actually twice as many from last I heard). 

People always want to bring up the "this tech is going to put people out of a job" argument but are we really as a society going to stop progressing because some guy who couldn't graduate high school can still do his job that can easily be replaced by a computer. If anything it will just create a job in another needed area. Usually does. 

Are we gonna hate on Ford for making so many automobiles and putting all the horse breeding out of a job. Its progress. The worst thing we can do these days is slow it down. 

#23 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,690 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 04, 2013 - 12:26 AM

Problem is that this would be a huge felony. Its being regulated by the FAA and would be treated like a plane of some sorts. So shooting one down or stealing it would land you in major trouble(like shooting at a plane trouble). Also those things will most likely have trackers and camera's sending constant feed back to the fulfillment center. So chances are you will get caught if you grab the thing. 

Also the only time they would go to grabbing range would be at a persons house and were there for the few seconds its actually on land. So if the person at that house stole it then they would easily get caught. So for people who don't live there to steal it they would have to go onto someones property and hang out there until it lands, this also being that they know its coming which would be unlikely. 

Also from what I heard they would only be doing this is good neighborhoods (low crime rate). So all in all I think the risk is very minimal. 

People will shoot them down even if it's a felony, they will just do it with a mask on...

Posted Image

#24 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,238 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 12:54 AM

People will shoot them down even if it's a felony, they will just do it with a mask on...

Its not like these things are flying low you know. They are flying quite high. Way above a shotgun range. 

#25 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,690 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 01:47 AM

Its not like these things are flying low you know. They are flying quite high. Way above a shotgun range. 

They will have to come down sometime. And they won't be flying too high if you don't want them crashing with small aircraft.

Posted Image

• 40,431 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 02:40 AM

This Video Reveals One Big Problem For Those Amazon Drones

yo.

#27 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,690 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 01:21 AM

This Video Reveals One Big Problem For Those Amazon Drones

hahahha, guess they didn't think about the friendly birds, it seems like they won't need to be shot down after all.

Posted Image

#28 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,951 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted December 09, 2013 - 02:06 AM

With new tech come new jobs. For instance at my work were making software that would be downsizing one department and increasing massively on another department for a particular business. In the end they are actually getting more employees (actually twice as many from last I heard). 

People always want to bring up the "this tech is going to put people out of a job" argument but are we really as a society going to stop progressing because some guy who couldn't graduate high school can still do his job that can easily be replaced by a computer. If anything it will just create a job in another needed area. Usually does. 

Are we gonna hate on Ford for making so many automobiles and putting all the horse breeding out of a job. Its progress. The worst thing we can do these days is slow it down. 

“Progress means getting nearer to the place you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning, then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man.” --C.S. Lewis

While I agree with what you are saying in large, comparing horses and automobiles to computers and robotics is comparing apples with oranges. There is no way you are going to convince me that certain technilogical advances, like transhumanism and AI to replace decision making that only a sentient being should make, is actually "progress." It sounds like the wrong road.

Edited by -Wade-, December 09, 2013 - 02:08 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#29 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,690 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 02:10 AM

I'm against AI and drones taking jobs from people, but it seems it's the road companies want to take to reduce costs. How is a delivery boy going to benefit from the introduction of drones? It's not like he can jump from that to building drones?

Posted Image

#30 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,951 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 02:13 AM

I think you'll see the companies that want to save money 3D print their drones before they hire some kid to build them.

Edited by -Wade-, December 09, 2013 - 02:13 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#31 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,690 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 02:16 AM

I think you'll see the companies that want to save money 3D print their drones before they hire some kid to build them.

Yeah, and we will see how that helps unemployment stats...

Posted Image

#32 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,951 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 02:17 AM

Yeah, and we will see how that helps unemployment stats...

We've got an interesting future ahead of us, that's for sure. Nice talking, I'm going to go get some ZzZ

Edited by -Wade-, December 09, 2013 - 02:18 AM.

wKNsigp.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Amazon, drone, delivery, technology, shopping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users