Photo

Lakers & Kobe agree on 2 year, $48 mil extension (Kobe talks to Y! Sports - pg. 27)

• Please log in to reply
804 replies to this topic

#781 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:46 PM

It's too funny the reactions from the so called fans on this forum. Dude the FO needs to be held accountable, The truth needs to be spoken to effect positive change. And don't give that bs about the Lakers winning a ring 4 years go when we are staring at years 5,6,7 and possibly more without any prospect of another one. 

As for the 90's I saw all of the crap teams and suffered through the Smush era. I've seen worse and I have suffered a lot longer than you young fella. I used to have to watch games on delay to be disappointed. I had to endure the Celtics repeatedly kicking the crap out of us. This hiccup you are seeing is not the result of better teams beating the Lakers. It is the result of bad deals, old players and a delusional philosophy.

Mitch and Jeanie love to show off all those Obriens, and then overpay for players in decline. You can't compete in today's NBA by getting older and slower and rewarding players for the past. It's a new era and the CBA has a tremendous impact on how a team will build. It wasn't as if it was a secret. Now you look around and you see a totally wrongheaded approach  to rebuilding.

If you are not calling out the FO how can you say You are a fan of this team?

Like i said it took the spurs 7 years. I am not calling out the FO cause as a FAN i have faith in them. We just had a stacked starting team, the best center in the league, and got [expletive]ed over by him. Now we have little whiners like you on here crying about not winning championships after only two years of mediocrity lmfao.. if you went through the 90s you shouldnt be panicking now. i thought after the last 3 decades you would understand that the lakers ALWAYS find a way to come back and win whether is takes 3 years or 10.. 

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#782 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:47 PM

True but they never missed the playoffs! They gave themselves and their fans a shot at a title every year by planning and sacrificing as a team for a common goal.

and we went to the finals 7 times the past 15 years lol you could go to the playoffs all you want but as a laker fan it dont mean [expletive] if you dont win it all. 

Edited by Ham, July 04, 2014 - 11:48 PM.

#783 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 613 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:47 PM

And yet the same FO won the same number of championships in the 15 years. like I said spoiled

Yes we are spoiled and I expect that tradition to continue. The old rules allowed for  mistakes to be made, but that can't happen anymore.

And whatever success we had was largely due to having the greatest bigman in a generation with a teen aged prodigy that rose to a level of greatness no one could have predicted. Phenomenal role players and a brilliant coach and deep deep pockets.

Celebrating the past is fine, but that does not excuse not preparing and planning for the future.

#784 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:49 PM

Yes we are spoiled and I expect that tradition to continue. The old rules allowed for  mistakes to be made, but that can't happen anymore.

And whatever success we had was largely due to having the greatest bigman in a generation with a teen aged prodigy that rose to a level of greatness no one could have predicted. Phenomenal role players and a brilliant coach and deep deep pockets.

Celebrating the past is fine, but that does not excuse not preparing and planning for the future.

Doesn't the same reasoning go for the spurs. "And whatever success they have was largely due to having one of the greatest bigman in a generation with phenomenal role players and a phenomenal coach." lmfaoo...  :smh:

#785 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 613 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 12:00 AM

Like i said it took the spurs 7 years. I am not calling out the FO cause as a FAN i have faith in them. We just had a stacked starting team, the best center in the league, and got [expletive]ed over by him. Now we have little whiners like you on here crying about not winning championships after only two years of mediocrity lmfao.. if you went through the 90s you shouldnt be panicking now. i thought after the last 3 decades you would understand that the lakers ALWAYS find a way to come back and win whether is takes 3 years or 10.. 

These are Kellerman' talking points, and they are warm and fuzzy placebos. The rules are different the league is different the attitude of the players is different.  And I'm not panicking I am just telling you overly optimistic youngsters that you are being fed manure by the L.A. media.  

Nash cashed in on a great year but there were no teams foolish enough to pay him for three years outside of the LAKERS. Nash was already experiencing problems before he signed but the FO took the bait. Howard was just itching to get out of Orlando and he was never thrilled with Kobe, and Kobe told him  he could be the 4th option lol. So Howard should have been traded. But Mitch and Jeanie just let him walk for nothing.

MDA was an idiot everyone in NY knew it, but the LAKERS hired him instead of Phil lol. You painted quite a rosy picture, just like the one that the L.A. media loves to paint, but it's all Bs. WE GOT STERNED and I give Mitch credit for trying to reload, but I am calling him out on not moving Howard once the drama between him and Kobe went down. I sure wasn't feeling a 3 year deal for Nash. 

So lets not sugar coat what really went down so we can feel better about the current episodes of F#@__g up that we are watching.

#786 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 613 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 12:11 AM

Doesn't the same reasoning go for the spurs. "And whatever success they have was largely due to having one of the greatest bigman in a generation with phenomenal role players and a phenomenal coach." lmfaoo...  :smh:

Duncan is not on the same level as Shaq. You know that so why act like it's anywhere near as dominant a situation, and if you're talking about the Admiral he was very good, but Shaq spanked his behind when they met. The ROLE PLAYERS success was a product of the Spurs system and the players executing it consistently.  

Take Patty Mills... He's a solid shooter and a great team guy but his talent is magnified because of the system. He may walk and some dumb GM somewhere will overpay and scratch his head at why Patty isn't playing at the same level. The Spurs team first philosophy is superior because it takes average to above average role players and gets good production out of them.

A few years ago JJ Barea was Patty Mills. Some Dumb GM overpaid for him and this speedy little guard fell back to earth. He was still a good player, but he sure was not worth 22 million. The point is the best basketball is about execution and players playing consistently within a system, under control with intelligence and discipline. You can thank Pop for that.

Phil Had Superman and Kobe on the same team! I don't think Phil had to think as much about his offense as Pop did.

#787 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 12:33 AM

Duncan is not on the same level as Shaq. You know that so why act like it's anywhere near as dominant a situation, and if you're talking about the Admiral he was very good, but Shaq spanked his behind when they met. The ROLE PLAYERS success was a product of the Spurs system and the players executing it consistently.

Take Patty Mills... He's a solid shooter and a great team guy but his talent is magnified because of the system. He may walk and some dumb GM somewhere will overpay and scratch his head at why Patty isn't playing at the same level. The Spurs team first philosophy is superior because it takes average to above average role players and gets good production out of them.

A few years ago JJ Barea was Patty Mills. Some Dumb GM overpaid for him and this speedy little guard fell back to earth. He was still a good player, but he sure was not worth 22 million. The point is the best basketball is about execution and players playing consistently within a system, under control with intelligence and discipline. You can thank Pop for that.

Phil Had Superman and Kobe on the same team! I don't think Phil had to think as much about his offense as Pop did.

Duncan averaged 25 10+ back then... Beat us when shaq was injured

Edited by Ham, July 05, 2014 - 12:33 AM.

#788 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 05, 2014 - 04:05 AM

You are living in the past and I doubt you are even old enough to have any legitimate perspective of the BOSTON teams of the 60's. 

That said San Antonio has a better playoff track record than the Lakers over the past 15 years. They just closed the show with a championship in one of the best displays of precision offense and team defense ever seen. 

The Lakers are a team in distress because of a history of defying common sense. The last three years alone is ample proof that the Lakers are not in tune with today's NBA. If I say the Lakers are in deep trouble it is because it is true. Unfortunately there are too many fans that are not able to divorce their emotions from the reality of the current situation.

Dismissing Duncan is petty and inaccurate. His role is to lead just like Kobe. Kobe carried the offense for years, but Duncan set the standard for being prepared focused and consistent. His impact on the Success of the Spurs can not be over stated and ironically seldom is. It's hilarious that you dis Duncan while he is celebrating his 5th Championship because he executes according to a system. Whereas you laud Kobe for essentially disrupting one. 

No, I'm living in the present. The present where a team known as the San Antonio Spurs has been hyped year after year...after year...finally gets number five. Five is ok but let's not act like they're on the same level as other franchises who have "been there, done that"...and done it better. And no, I wasn't around in the sixties...lol. SA only has a better track record than LA with regards to keeping their HOF coach. At their peaks, they're known for choking and when they go up against us...they lose. 

The Lakers are not in distress :facepalm: They've made some poor decisions but every franchise does that. You can count on LA to rectify those mistakes relatively soon. Most naysayers only feel that way because they're still sore over Kobe's contract which is a waste of energy worrying over. 

I'm not dismissing Duncan. I was just addressing your over-the-top "blaze of glory"/"going out with a fizzle" statement. All these exaggerations about Kobe Bryant and the LA Lakers are tiring. All these types of posts are nothing except poorly veiled attempts at attacking Kobe Bryant...all the while gushing over an inferior franchise in the San Antonio Spurs. Yes, all of us know how much a few of you like to go on and on about Kobe Bryant's contract the not-so-sneaky attacks towards him/Lakers: "See see see, look at how the awesome Spurs did it", "Duncan took a pay cut! He's better than that selfish Kobe Bryant", etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Duncan set the standard for being prepared focused and consistent

Oh please. Empty air. Kobe Bryant has been setting the standard far longer than Tim Duncan has and he's more "prepared", more "focused", and more consistent than Tim Duncan. 20s into 30s, Kobe Bryant is still putting up similar numbers. 

celebrating his 5th Championship because he executes according to a system. Whereas you laud Kobe for essentially disrupting one. 

Pretty easy to celebrate under the leadership of Popovich. I do "laud" Kobe for not choking Mike Brown and MDA. 

Edited by Windu, July 05, 2014 - 04:07 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#789 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 06, 2014 - 06:51 AM

Does anyone know what MJ got paid the last two years of his career with Washington. I know his contract the last two years with the Bulls was almost identical to Kobe's last two years before this contract with us.

#790 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

I do the walk of life.

• 1,905 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 06, 2014 - 08:42 AM

^
1 million or the vet's min each year.
Impossible is nothing.

#791 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,463 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 06, 2014 - 09:05 AM

Does anyone know what MJ got paid the last two years of his career with Washington. I know his contract the last two years with the Bulls was almost identical to Kobe's last two years before this contract with us.

He owned a part of the team, so I can bet he profited a great deal overall from that endeavor 

#792 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 613 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 10:53 AM

Duncan averaged 25 10+ back then... Beat us when shaq was injured

I'll take your word for it because I am  too lazy to get into a stats debate, or just to look them up.  I never said Duncan was not a superstar just that he was not the force of nature Shaq was. I appreciate all great athletes but there ain't never gonna be another Shaq.

#793 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 613 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 11:26 AM

No, I'm living in the present. The present where a team known as the San Antonio Spurs has been hyped year after year...after year...finally gets number five. Five is ok but let's not act like they're on the same level as other franchises who have "been there, done that"...and done it better. And no, I wasn't around in the sixties...lol. SA only has a better track record than LA with regards to keeping their HOF coach. At their peaks, they're known for choking and when they go up against us...they lose. 

The Lakers are not in distress :facepalm: They've made some poor decisions but every franchise does that. You can count on LA to rectify those mistakes relatively soon. Most naysayers only feel that way because they're still sore over Kobe's contract which is a waste of energy worrying over. 

I'm not dismissing Duncan. I was just addressing your over-the-top "blaze of glory"/"going out with a fizzle" statement. All these exaggerations about Kobe Bryant and the LA Lakers are tiring. All these types of posts are nothing except poorly veiled attempts at attacking Kobe Bryant...all the while gushing over an inferior franchise in the San Antonio Spurs. Yes, all of us know how much a few of you like to go on and on about Kobe Bryant's contract the not-so-sneaky attacks towards him/Lakers: "See see see, look at how the awesome Spurs did it", "Duncan took a pay cut! He's better than that selfish Kobe Bryant", etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Oh please. Empty air. Kobe Bryant has been setting the standard far longer than Tim Duncan has and he's more "prepared", more "focused", and more consistent than Tim Duncan. 20s into 30s, Kobe Bryant is still putting up similar numbers. 

Pretty easy to celebrate under the leadership of Popovich. I do "laud" Kobe for not choking Mike Brown and MDA. 

OMG this is pathetic. Kobe Bryant is not the emphasis here. The LAKERS are. The Lakers are not in distress lmao :smh:

The FO begged Dwight to stay when most people knew he was only here to get out of Orlando and he left which was imo very predictable and the Lakers got nada. The Fo tried repeatedly to trade Pau and nobody wanted him. The Lakers are coming off their worst record in history. They are on their third coach in 4 years, and Kobe is turning 36 coming off of two catastrophic injuries. The Lakers don't have any assets no picks and the cap is tight because of Kobe and Nash's stupid contracts. 

Currently Mitch and Company are literally begging Lebron and Melo to save the Franchise. The Owner put himself on a time line to turn things around. Viewership is down attendance is down and the Clippers are the better team in L.A!! But in your world the Lakers are not in distress?!?

I thought you would make some reasonable arguments but it's the same old apologies for bad business decisions. BTW Giving credit to a team that has not missed the playoffs in 12 years is respect not gushing. Most NBA fans I have talked with admire the way the Spurs play fundamental ball. Today's NBA is all about the individual and it's refreshing to see a team play together and check the egos at the door for the good of the team.

Even your second to last sentence is typical of the silly strawman arguments SO COMMON around here. I never challenged Kobe's stats that was never the point. My argument is that the Spurs and Duncan put the success of the team first. Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan are not concerned with stats. They are concerned with playing the best basketball they are capable of at all times. They understand that WINNING IS MORE IMPORTANT than personal glory.

#794 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,710 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 06, 2014 - 11:31 AM

I'll take your word for it because I am  too lazy to get into a stats debate, or just to look them up.  I never said Duncan was not a superstar just that he was not the force of nature Shaq was. I appreciate all great athletes but there ain't never gonna be another Shaq.

If there is...i hope we get him :dance:

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#795 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,710 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 11:39 AM

Naismith, we come from a different time than the majority of fans on this site.

Back when there were only 4 ways to enjoy the lakers 1. Go to Game, 2. Watch on KCAL, 3. Watch about 2 minutes of highlights on the 11pm news, and 4. Read about them the next day in the LATimes.

Now theres all of this and while yes they are fans, not all are peers. And many are all over the country or even in different countries.

Just a heads up.

New world obviously.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#796 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 809 posts
  • Fan Since:since my dad took me to see "Wilt the Stilt" at the Forum
  • Fav. Laker:whoever wins the next game

Posted July 06, 2014 - 11:41 AM

Back when there were only 4 ways to enjoy the lakers 1. Go to Game, 2. Watch on KCAL, 3. Watch about 2 minutes of highlights on the 11pm news, and 4. Read about them the next day in the LATimes.

Now theres all of this and while yes they are fans, not all are peers. And many are all over the country or even in different countries.

Just a heads up.

New world obviously.

umm, I think you forgot one: listen to Chick on KLAC! 

#797 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,710 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 11:45 AM

umm, I think you forgot one: listen to Chick on KLAC!

Oh crap.
Quick story...Chick used to live in the san fernando valley a block from a friend of mine. I remember getting buzzed one day with a buddy on our way to the laker game, we went by chicks house (likely he was already at arena) and got out of the car and bowed in reverence, then got back in the car, finished the Joint, and drove to the Forum!

Damn Chick is probably rolling over in his grave i forgot to mention that (enjoying lakers, not the pot story).

Edited by kball, July 06, 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#798 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 613 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 12:50 PM

Just a heads up.

New world obviously.

I remember checking the paper to confirm game times. MAN I'm old. :laughing:

#799 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 613 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 12:53 PM

If there is...i hope we get him :dance:

You and me both. I wish we could have gotten  hold Of Cousins back when he was insane. 

#800 JDuggernaut

JDuggernaut

Rookie

• 69 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 06, 2014 - 01:14 PM

I've probably spent the equivalent of 3 days in the past 3 years trying to trade for Cousins on the ESPN Trade Machine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users