Photo

Lakers & Kobe agree on 2 year, $48 mil extension (Kobe talks to Y! Sports - pg. 27)

• Please log in to reply
804 replies to this topic

#761 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted July 04, 2014 - 08:05 PM

This again? 5 Lakers rings = 5 Spurs rings. The Spurs are the one team to equal that.

So I'd say the Lakers way works just fine.

The Lakers are going to be scrubs for a long time while the Spurs just won a Championship. Duncan is going out in a blaze of glory and Kobe is going out with a fizzle. What team has spent more money? What team has missed the playoffs more in the past 15 years. Which team is irrelevant?

#762 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,772 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 04, 2014 - 08:06 PM

That's not the point he's making.  SAS is clearly a more sustainable system of winning b/c it doesn't require a player in his prime to win.  When LA was winning titles they always always had the player that was clearly top 1-3 or so.  TD hasn't been a top 5 players in nearly 6 years or so and they have been doing fine as far as competing when he's not even on the floor. 

I will say LA has a more exciting way of doing this b/c they go hard or go home.  Neither way is right or wrong but SAS will probably never hit the area LA is in b/c they for one aren't pressured by the same external factors.  They just have different approaches.  I will say that LA needs to shift more towards that way of doing things until they have an elite player in the fold. 

This again? 5 Lakers rings = 5 Spurs rings. The Spurs are the one team to equal that.

So I'd say the Lakers way works just fine.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#763 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 08:18 PM

Someone offers me 24 Milli a year I ain't saying no and neither would any of you lol

True, UNLESS you have been shooting your mouth off for years about Championships being the only thing that mattered and were committed to doing whatever it takes to win.

When you constantly self promote and talk a big game and put yourself above petty things like money... You look a little like an Arse when you blatantly contradict that big talk with your eagerness to remain the highest paid player in the NBA;even though you know doing so cripples your team from competing at the highest level.

#764 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,096 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted July 04, 2014 - 08:36 PM

The Lakers are going to be scrubs for a long time while the Spurs just won a Championship. Duncan is going out in a blaze of glory and Kobe is going out with a fizzle. What team has spent more money? What team has missed the playoffs more in the past 15 years. Which team is irrelevant?

So many melodramatic posts nowadays. Some of you make me look like the most optimistic Lakers fan around. 

For the thousandth time, the San Antonio Spurs is not a franchise that can even begin to hold a candle to the LA Lakers. The only team that can say that, and it pains me to say this, is the Boston Celtics. Everyone knows it.

Duncan was reduced to nothing but a glorified role player while Kobe Bryant still does the heavy lifting with his team. 

Edited by Windu, July 04, 2014 - 08:36 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#765 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,158 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 04, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Also, not bad when there are really only 2 teams in 20 years in this discussion in the first place.

Worst case...our way is 2nd best

That's not the point he's making.  SAS is clearly a more sustainable system of winning b/c it doesn't require a player in his prime to win.  When LA was winning titles they always always had the player that was clearly top 1-3 or so.  TD hasn't been a top 5 players in nearly 6 years or so and they have been doing fine as far as competing when he's not even on the floor. 

I will say LA has a more exciting way of doing this b/c they go hard or go home.  Neither way is right or wrong but SAS will probably never hit the area LA is in b/c they for one aren't pressured by the same external factors.  They just have different approaches.  I will say that LA needs to shift more towards that way of doing things until they have an elite player in the fold. 

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#766 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,772 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 08:49 PM

Boston did the bulk of it's winning in a much different era on a stacked team.  They lucked up on the big 3 situation and didn't do anything 20 before that and haven't done much since winning the championship.

So many melodramatic posts nowadays. Some of you make me look like the most optimistic Lakers fan around. 

For the thousandth time, the San Antonio Spurs is not a franchise that can even begin to hold a candle to the LA Lakers. The only team that can say that, and it pains me to say this, is the Boston Celtics. Everyone knows it.

Duncan was reduced to nothing but a glorified role player while Kobe Bryant still does the heavy lifting with his team. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#767 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,096 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted July 04, 2014 - 09:35 PM

Boston did the bulk of it's winning in a much different era on a stacked team.  They lucked up on the big 3 situation and didn't do anything 20 before that and haven't done much since winning the championship.

How many championships do they have compared to us? It's no competition.

You could say San Antonio "lucked up" and got Tim Duncan. San Antonio is small potatoes compared to the LA Lakers. People pump up SA on here because they played Miami (and everyone made Miami enemy number one for some odd reason) and now that they've FINALLY done what they were supposed to do, they're on the level of the LA Lakers? Not even close.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#768 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,772 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 09:45 PM

We are clearly talking about recent history man.  No way you can include Boston in this conversation when they won 16 of their titles before you were born.  For the last 20 years or so LA and SAS have been neck and neck as far as dominance.  LA being a dominant force at a higher and SAS having a sustained system of winning basketball...Chicago has more titles than SAS but do you really want to argue that as a franchise they are better?  Simply b/c MJ has a cluster of titles 16 years ago?

You could say San Antonio "lucked up" and got Tim Duncan. San Antonio is small potatoes compared to the LA Lakers. People pump up SA on here because they played Miami (and everyone made Miami enemy number one for some odd reason) and now that they've FINALLY done what they were supposed to do, they're on the level of the LA Lakers? Not even close.

#769 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,772 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 09:45 PM

We are clearly talking about recent history man.  No way you can include Boston in this conversation when they won 16 of their titles before you were born.  For the last 20 years or so LA and SAS have been neck and neck as far as dominance.  LA being a dominant force at a higher and SAS having a sustained system of winning basketball...Chicago has more titles than SAS but do you really want to argue that as a franchise they are better?  Simply b/c MJ has a cluster of titles 16 years ago?

#770 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 10:57 PM

You are living in the past and I doubt you are even old enough to have any legitimate perspective of the BOSTON teams of the 60's. 

That said San Antonio has a better playoff track record than the Lakers over the past 15 years. They just closed the show with a championship in one of the best displays of precision offense and team defense ever seen. 

The Lakers are a team in distress because of a history of defying common sense. The last three years alone is ample proof that the Lakers are not in tune with today's NBA. If I say the Lakers are in deep trouble it is because it is true. Unfortunately there are too many fans that are not able to divorce their emotions from the reality of the current situation.

Dismissing Duncan is petty and inaccurate. His role is to lead just like Kobe. Kobe carried the offense for years, but Duncan set the standard for being prepared focused and consistent. His impact on the Success of the Spurs can not be over stated and ironically seldom is. It's hilarious that you dis Duncan while he is celebrating his 5th Championship because he executes according to a system. Whereas you laud Kobe for essentially disrupting one. 

#771 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:04 PM

Lmfao spurs don't even have a third of our championships just stop... You can't neglect our past championships by saying "you weren't alive during that time." That's not really objective at all. the only team that will ever be compared to our stature is the celtics.

Calm the [expletive] down it took the spurs years to come back and win a title. It's gonna be the same for us.

Edited by Ham, July 04, 2014 - 11:09 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#772 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:08 PM

Lmfao spurs don't even have a third of our championships just stop... You can't neglect our past championships by saying "you weren't alive during that time." That's not really objective at all.

How does the past help the present? Do you have a time machine? If you don't then forget about the past because it is absolutely irrelevant. This is a what have you done lately league and lately the Lakers haven't done a damned thing. 

#773 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,254 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:10 PM

You are living in the past and I doubt you are even old enough to have any legitimate perspective of the BOSTON teams of the 60's. 

That said San Antonio has a better playoff track record than the Lakers over the past 15 years. They just closed the show with a championship in one of the best displays of precision offense and team defense ever seen. 

The Lakers are a team in distress because of a history of defying common sense. The last three years alone is ample proof that the Lakers are not in tune with today's NBA. If I say the Lakers are in deep trouble it is because it is true. Unfortunately there are too many fans that are not able to divorce their emotions from the reality of the current situation.

Dismissing Duncan is petty and inaccurate. His role is to lead just like Kobe. Kobe carried the offense for years, but Duncan set the standard for being prepared focused and consistent. His impact on the Success of the Spurs can not be over stated and ironically seldom is. It's hilarious that you dis Duncan while he is celebrating his 5th Championship because he executes according to a system. Whereas you laud Kobe for essentially disrupting one. 

lmao what an ignorant thing to say. Actually, one of the obvious post to talk ish once again about kobe.

Duncan, Parker, Ginobili (sp). and Pop. Add in leonard, and green, and mills.

Duncan has had a consistent system surround him that his FO handled amazingly. 

The majority of players that Kobe won rings with are GONE, his head HOF coach is GONE.

btw, Kobe has had his 5th for awhile before duncan due to his "consistency" and "focus". 

Edited by RobBlake, July 04, 2014 - 11:11 PM.

ap1.png

#774 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:13 PM

How does the past help the present? Do you have a time machine? If you don't then forget about the past because it is absolutely irrelevant. This is a what have you done lately league and lately the Lakers haven't done a damned thing.

What have we done lately? 4 years ago we won a championship. They don't come every year and not everything goes your way. You probably didn't suffer the 90s drought like most of us. This is normal with the current CBA. It's our rebuilding time. It could take 3-4 years maybe even 10 if things don't go our way. If you're gonna keep complaining then just stop refreshing twitter and lakernation.com and come back when we are relevant. This is a transition era.

Spoiled. As for the spurs, they won after 6? 7 years? Lmfao. It takes time.

Edited by Ham, July 04, 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#775 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,449 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:14 PM

And Duncan had his fourth before Kobe did. What does it matter? 

#776 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:25 PM

lmao what an ignorant thing to say. Actually, one of the obvious post to talk ish once again about kobe.

Duncan, Parker, Ginobili (sp). and Pop. Add in leonard, and green, and mills.

Duncan has had a consistent system surround him that his FO handled amazingly. 

The majority of players that Kobe won rings with are GONE, his head HOF coach is GONE.

Spare me the cheer leading for Kobe. What I said is 100% true. The Spurs are successful because players listen to their coach and check their egos at the door and execute as a team. Kobe had Shaq in his prime to bring 3 Titles. Kobe had Pau in his prime to help win two more. Duncan has had some great players around him but not on par with the superstars  Kobe has had. Perhaps if Kobe had taken smaller deals he would still be on a contending team.

The Triangle in Chicago won 6 Rings because Jordan listened to his coach, took good shots, and didn't play hero ball until a hero was actually needed. Kobe is a superb player but he is not disciplined and that cost the Lakers championships period. You are making me laugh out loud Junior because you are making all of the predictable excuses that all Kobe worshippers make. He didn't have this, his coach left... Blah blah blah. 

You can't whine your way to a title. You play as a team and you put the team first in order to maximize success. Nobody can say Kobe hasn't been successful, but it can be argued that he should have already won his 6th and possibly his 7th ring if he had played a little more like Duncan and a lot less like Himself.

BTW Kobe is not the subject. The Subject is the trainwreck that the Lakers are because of horrible decisions and incompetence from the FO.

#777 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:26 PM

Spare me the cheer leading for Kobe. What I said is 100% true. The Spurs are successful because players listen to their coach and check their egos at the door and execute as a team. Kobe had Shaq in his prime to bring 3 Titles. Kobe had Pau in his prime to help win two more. Duncan has had some great players around him but not on par with the superstars Kobe has had. Perhaps if Kobe had taken smaller deals he would still be on a contending team.

The Triangle in Chicago won 6 Rings because Jordan listened to his coach, took good shots, and didn't play hero ball until a hero was actually needed. Kobe is a superb player but he is not disciplined and that cost the Lakers championships period. You are making me laugh out loud Junior because you are making all of the predictable excuses that all Kobe worshippers make. He didn't have this, his coach left... Blah blah blah.

You can't whine your way to a title. You play as a team and you put the team first in order to maximize success. Nobody can say Kobe hasn't been successful, but it can be argued that he should have already won his 6th and possibly his 7th ring if he had played a little more like Duncan and a lot less like Himself.

BTW Kobe is not the subject. The Subject is the trainwreck that the Lakers are because of horrible decisions and incompetence from the FO.

And yet the same FO won the same number of championships in the 15 years. like I said spoiled

#778 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:37 PM

spurs won a championship after 7 years and Tim Duncan is just about done. Lmfao what are you trying to say... Lol it took them quite a while too.

Edited by Ham, July 04, 2014 - 11:38 PM.

#779 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:39 PM

What have we done lately? 4 years ago we won a championship. They don't come every year and not everything goes your way. You probably didn't suffer the 90s drought like most of us. This is normal with the current CBA. It's our rebuilding time. It could take 3-4 years maybe even 10 if things don't go our way. If you're gonna keep complaining then just stop refreshing twitter and lakernation.com and come back when we are relevant. This is a transition era.

Spoiled. As for the spurs, they won after 6? 7 years? Lmfao. It takes time.

It's too funny the reactions from the so called fans on this forum. Dude the FO needs to be held accountable, The truth needs to be spoken to effect positive change. And don't give that bs about the Lakers winning a ring 4 years go when we are staring at years 5,6,7 and possibly more without any prospect of another one. 

As for the 90's I saw all of the crap teams and suffered through the Smush era. I've seen worse and I have suffered a lot longer than you young fella. I used to have to watch games on delay to be disappointed. I had to endure the Celtics repeatedly kicking the crap out of us. This hiccup you are seeing is not the result of better teams beating the Lakers. It is the result of bad deals, old players and a delusional philosophy.

Mitch and Jeanie love to show off all those Obriens, and then overpay for players in decline. You can't compete in today's NBA by getting older and slower and rewarding players for the past. It's a new era and the CBA has a tremendous impact on how a team will build. It wasn't as if it was a secret. Now you look around and you see a totally wrongheaded approach  to rebuilding.

If you are not calling out the FO how can you say You are a fan of this team?

#780 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:41 PM

spurs won a championship after 7 years and Tim Duncan is just about done. Lmfao what are you trying to say... Lol it took them quite a while too.

True but they never missed the playoffs! They gave themselves and their fans a shot at a title every year by planning and sacrificing as a team for a common goal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users