Photo

Melo would prefer Lakers over Houston but Lakers not interested (pg 90)

• Please log in to reply
1900 replies to this topic

Poll: Melo would prefer Lakers over Houston but Lakers not interested (pg 90) (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Carmelo Anthony Be Traded This Season

1. Yes (22 votes [45.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

2. Voted No (26 votes [54.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1301 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,778 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 27, 2014 - 06:01 PM

Im still trying to understand why any fan on this board that wants this team to actually be a contender would want LA to lock in their cap with Carmelo Anthony. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#1302 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,382 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 27, 2014 - 06:06 PM

We don't want Melo. We are getting LeBron this offseason. Remember, they hugged when the game finished?

And and and remember when Lebron was wearing the Kobe shoes? 

Totally coming to LA.  :rock2:

#1303 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted January 27, 2014 - 06:07 PM

ask me if i care, but dont

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

• 40,400 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 06:10 PM

Reggie Miller on Carmelo Anthony

yo.

#1305 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,382 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 06:14 PM

Im still trying to understand why any fan on this board that wants this team to actually be a contender would want LA to lock in their cap with Carmelo Anthony. 

FO isn't going to pay max for Melo. But if he accepts a substantial paycut (very unlikely), then management will sign him.

However, there's no reason to believe that he'll take a paycut:

1) If he signs elsewhere, he's already losing nearly 30 mil or so if he would have just stayed in NY. And that's if you're offering Melo the max. 

2) If an injured Kobe that only played six games this season received a contract offer of 23.5 mil a year, then why should Melo take a far larger paycut? 

First and foremost, the draft will be a major indicator of who we'll sign during free agency. If we sign Embiid, we're likely to pursue a SF during free agency. If we sign Wiggins, we'll probably stay put. In the case that we do go for a SF, Deng should be our first priority. His injuries concern me, but he's a two-way player and would be a better fit with a future Kobe/Love tandem.

#1306 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted January 28, 2014 - 10:12 AM

I'm still trying to understand how any fan thinks we can accomplish signing both melo and lebron. i mean even lebron is a far reach. 

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#1307 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,328 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 10:44 AM

You wouldn't have no problems with Dwight being locked into the super max. Right? The same guy that wanted Kobe to be amnestied. The same guy that smiles after getting blown out. The same guy Olajuwon said was still "very raw" on offense after 500 years in the league.

dwight_howard_sad_1.jpg

Why do I have to play with Kobe. :cry: He is too demanding. :cry:

Dwight needs to get his coach fired again. He already got one of his coaches fired before, and now he can do it again in Houston with Mchale.

Dwight also should have learned his role as Kobe "Tyson Chandler", and shut his mouth. You don't get to come in L.A. as the phony Shaq wannabe clone you are, and think you are going to start running things.

It's nice to know that some people had no problems handing our franchise over to a grown man child.

If Melo stays in New York, Kevin Love will be joining him there. He already talked about how much he loves NYC. You have to be delusional to think that Love will be coming to this rebuilding team. So, we pass on Melo lose Love to the Knicks, and we are stuck with nothing. Then we move on to Durant who won't be leaving the Thunder for the Lakers. Nothing again. I'll start looking up 2017, 2018, 2019 FA.

Have fun with this Mamba. :maskedmamba:

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#1308 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,492 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 10:54 AM

If Melo stays in New York, Kevin Love will be joining him there. He already talked about how much he loves NYC. You have to be delusional to think that Love will be coming to this rebuilding team. So, we pass on Melo lose Love to the Knicks, and we are stuck with nothing. Then we move on to Durant who won't be leaving the Thunder for the Lakers. Nothing again. I'll start looking up 2017, 2018, 2019 FA.

Honestly, I don't think it's so inconceivable for Love to want to team up with KD and come to LA which I'm assuming will have cap space to sign both at the time. And no I'm not saying we are getting Love and KD, I'm just saying it makes more sense to me that the idea would cross both their minds.

Why would Love want to go to the Knicks to play with then 32 year old Melo and a franchise who has proven that they don't know how to win? Your logic makes zero sense. 

#1309 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,469 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted January 28, 2014 - 11:25 AM

You wouldn't have no problems with Dwight being locked into the super max. Right? The same guy that wanted Kobe to be amnestied. The same guy that smiles after getting blown out. The same guy Olajuwon said was still "very raw" on offense after 500 years in the league.

Dwight needs to get his coach fired again. He already got one of his coaches fired before, and now he can do it again in Houston with Mchale.

Dwight also should have learned his role as Kobe "Tyson Chandler", and shut his mouth. You don't get to come in L.A. as the phony Shaq wannabe clone you are, and think you are going to start running things.

It's nice to know that some people had no problems handing our franchise over to a grown man child.

Its called getting a high draft pick.

Have fun jumping on to a new bandwagon 

#1310 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,773 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 12:50 PM

I don't see how Love and Melo can play together ..

For the Lakers , it should be one or the other. Our draft pick will determine what position we'll be going after in the free agency.

As mentioned above, If we're getting Embiid then Deng and Love would be perfect to go along with Kobe and whomever our point guard is.

If we're going for a SF parker or Wiggins, then you go for a Center in the FA or re-sign Gasol and get a defensive power forward.

All i'm afraid of is that we don't anything helpful. Assuming we don't get a top 5 pick and we couldn't find anyone with value to sign this summer. Then we'd have to postpone the rebuilding process couple more years..

We shouldn't forget about the players in the current roster. Players like meeks or Young are viable options moving forward.. Add to that Hill if MDA is not staying next year..

Edited by fozi, January 28, 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#1311 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,778 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 12:51 PM

Melo and Love cannot coexist on a championship roster...no point in even entertaining that.  They both require similar spots on the floor for their offense and neither are good defensive players. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#1312 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,773 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 01:02 PM

If the Lakers believe some way or the other they can build a contender next year, then i don't see why Melo can't be a priority over Love.

But having both Melo and Kobe means that you need a good defensive team, same goes to Love even though he's younger than Anthony. Its a matter of how you value next year.

Been months now, but Kobe's new contract makes it harder for team to bounce back.

#1313 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,131 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 28, 2014 - 01:08 PM

The only way Melo and Love would work together on a championship roster is if Love was spending so much time around the perimeter that it allowed Melo to work on the block like the Knicks use Bargnani.  The problem with that is, Love has to be inside out to get those rebounds which is what he's effective at and trying to relegate him to just a spot up shooter is handcuffing what he can give you.  That or risk him not having the stamina for a full game as he's always running off the perimeter to get rebounds.

Minni already does that and Love as you can see is completely winded by the 4th quarter and has issues closing games. 

Edited by Majesty, January 28, 2014 - 01:08 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#1314 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,916 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted January 28, 2014 - 01:19 PM

I don't know why a player, much less their wife, would reveal their intentions when the season isn't over yet. Further, I wonder if Melo is more interested in $$$ or winning? If he wants to win, I don't think he is going to stay in NY.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#1315 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 02:27 PM

I mean you could be a contender with melo, it'll just mean our draft pick would become that much more important.

They'd have to really be a super stud

You can win with

Embiid
Hill
Melo
Kobe
Marshall

Now that's all assuming embiid is the real deal.

Maybe even

Hill
Melo
Wiggins/Parker
Kobe
Marshall

But Parker or wiggins would have to be Lebron type rookies in that they are 20-5-5 out of the gate

Melo in some ways makes things easier but also makes things harder
Posted Image

#1316 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted January 28, 2014 - 04:45 PM

I don't know why a player, much less their wife, would reveal their intentions when the season isn't over yet. Further, I wonder if Melo is more interested in $$$ or winning? If he wants to win, I don't think he is going to stay in NY.

He wants attention and to be courted like other FA's before him. In some ways I get it, but we as fans would like our athletes intense and only care about winning and competitiveness.

A lot of analysts have also talked about how much of a priority winning is to Melo, even Stephen A. Smith commented on it. The general consensus is he would live to fall into a great situation in order to win to ensure his legacy so to speak, but certainly he wants max money. He just wants a perfect situation pretty much. I honestly don't see Melo taking less than anywhere near max money.

A lot of people will bring up the Lebron thing in sacrificing money (again Florida tax no one brings up lol), but difference is Lebron had to win, he had all the pressure in the world and an actual legacy. If Melo never wins, historically might be seen as just another good or great player who never won and that's that.

#1317 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,778 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 09:10 PM

No one thinks Melo is on that level in the first place.  Not sure why he keeps getting mentioned amongst the elite and like him not winning a ring is going to tarnish his legacy.  He's a great scorer.  He will go out just like any other great scorer.  Adrian Dantley and Dominique Wilkins legacies aren't tarnished.

• 40,400 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 01:30 AM

Stephen A: Carmelo Needs To Mandate Help In New York

yo.

#1319 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 918 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 29, 2014 - 07:46 AM

Many people don't realise that Melo is actualy not that bad on defense, when he wants to be. He is lazy though in NY.

But do you think that on a team full of young guys playing with a chip on their shoulder, and Kobe running things, that he would still play half-assed on Defense? He wouldn't he would give it his all.

#1320 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted January 29, 2014 - 07:54 AM

Many people don't realise that Melo is actualy not that bad on defense, when he wants to be. He is lazy though in NY.

There is some truth to that but I find that worse than someone who is simply bad at defense or doesn't understand it. Great players should play to their skill regardless and lead by example, if your best player is wimpy on effort then why should everyone else show hustle. That says a lot about his mind state.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users