Photo

Melo would prefer Lakers over Houston but Lakers not interested (pg 90)

• Please log in to reply
1900 replies to this topic

Poll: Melo would prefer Lakers over Houston but Lakers not interested (pg 90) (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Carmelo Anthony Be Traded This Season

1. Yes (22 votes [45.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

2. Voted No (26 votes [54.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#981 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,366 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 21, 2013 - 08:48 PM

At this point.   It would come down to Chicago and Lakers if the Clippers don't get him by the trade deadline.  

Honestly I don't see the Lakers offering him a max.

I see the negotiating something else and if Carmelo wants a little more money he'd go to Chicago but with Rose's future in question would they win in the 2 year window?  That's an unknown really.  

I doubt that they offer Melo the max.  So it depends.   Melo may go to Chicago because they may offer a little more but his chance to win a title isn't greater there. 

Where are people getting this Chicago-Melo stuff from? Can I get a link.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#982 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,366 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Bledsoe had 25 points tonight, 75% shooting, 6AST. Bum. Everyone said the Suns would suck, but looks like they are all wrong.

I like letting franchise players walk for nothing.

Edited by Chad, December 21, 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#983 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,592 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 21, 2013 - 09:13 PM

I'm not sure if there's any rumors. It's basically a discussion on what options he has if he opts out. 

I doubt he opts out and if he does it would have to be a to winning team and where he doesn't leave a lot of money on the table. 

Along with the Lakers and Clippers, i think Chicago could be that team although it's difficult. 

#984 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,222 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted December 21, 2013 - 09:21 PM

You do realize that CP3 is a great player than Harden and Doc Rivers is a vastly better coach than McHale right?  Most of Houston's issues right now are rooted in their coaching not Dwight's FT shooting or their lack of talent.  You don't gift a team the best C while they already have the best PG in the game in a host of shooters, especially if they are in your backyard.  Would be really stupid.  Not to mention they would probably outsell the Lakers for the next few years until we got a talent outside of Kobe to keep fans interested.

Clippers would not beat our ass for the next 5 years. According to this logic the Rockets are going to be beating our ass for the next 5 years, because the Rockets are a better team than the Clippers.

You could have two all-stars or you can live in the FA fantasy world.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#985 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,222 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 09:23 PM

After they amnesty Boozer they will have about 13M in cap room and if you do a sign and trade and give NY talent and picks back you could probably get a deal their.  I could imagine it would be something like Gibson, Butler and multiple picks at the least.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#986 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,457 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted December 21, 2013 - 09:30 PM

Lakers need to completely gut their team to offer Melo the max.

Chicago can't offer him the max either, unless they amnesty Boozer, trade at least 10 million worth of assets and dont resign Deng.

If Chicago want Melo they have to get him via trades.

Wrong Lakers only player on the roster next year will be Kobe as Lakers will most likely stretch Steve Nash contract. Which paves the way for 1 max contract

Edited by magicbalala245, December 21, 2013 - 09:51 PM.

Posted Image

#987 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,592 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Wrong Lakers only player on the roster next year will be Kobe as Lakers will most likely stretch Steve Nash contract. Which paves the way for 2 max contracts

Next season we can have around 20-million in capspace, depending on what we do, but some of it should perhaps be used to re-sign some of our current guys. For us to get Melo, we would need to gut our roster completely.

#988 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,366 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 10:42 PM

You do realize that CP3 is a great player than Harden and Doc Rivers is a vastly better coach than McHale right?  Most of Houston's issues right now are rooted in their coaching not Dwight's FT shooting or their lack of talent.  You don't gift a team the best C while they already have the best PG in the game in a host of shooters, especially if they are in your backyard.  Would be really stupid.  Not to mention they would probably outsell the Lakers for the next few years until we got a talent outside of Kobe to keep fans interested.

I think Harden is better than CP3.

Hah, it's always the coaches fault with Dwight. Is that why Stan Van Gundy got fired?

Lakers would still have the better team, and we would have a better bench. + It's not gifting when you are getting something good back. Dwight can't handle the pressure anyways, remember? So, that team would be doomed to fail. 

I don't care about the phony Clippers/Lakers rivalry. They have sucked for 500 years, so it's about time they had some success. If all the bandwagon Clippers fans want to fill up Staples every night that's not my problem.

I'd love to see my Bledsoe & Blake P&R under MDA O.

Edited by Chad, December 21, 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#989 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,222 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 10:46 PM

You are totally off base.  Dwight is playing great this year and so is Harden.  The team isn't coached well, thats evident if you actually watched them play.  Again, Doc Rivers is a much better coach.  2nd off, I don't know in what world you think Harden is better than CP3 but that isn't the reality we live in.  Must be another NBA out there. 

I think Harden is better than CP3.

Hah, it's always the coaches fault with Dwight. Is that why Stan Van Gundy got fired?

Lakers would still have the better team, and we would have a better bench. + It's not gifting when you are getting something good back. Dwight can't handle the pressure anyways, remember? So, that team would be doomed to fail. 

I don't care about the phony Clippers/Lakers rivalry. They have sucked for 500 years, so it's about time they had some success.

I'd love to see my Bledsoe & Blake P&R under MDA O.

#990 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,243 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted December 21, 2013 - 11:31 PM

2nd off, I don't know in what world you think Harden is better than CP3 but that isn't the reality we live in. Must be another NBA out there.

He might just be one of those guys that just looks at points lol.

Edited by MrKnowItAll, December 21, 2013 - 11:31 PM.

#991 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 900 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted December 21, 2013 - 11:53 PM

Next season we can have around 20-million in capspace, depending on what we do, but some of it should perhaps be used to re-sign some of our current guys. For us to get Melo, we would need to gut our roster completely.

If we sell Steve Nash for one 2nd rounder, we have Kobe 24 mil deal and Scare's 1 mil deal. Cap is 62, so by my math, that's 37 mil in cap space. Add in about 2 mil for a 1st rounder, and you have 35. IIRC we're still paying Duhon 1.9 mil. We have Marhsall on board still, but he's contract can be waived. 

Giving Melo the max (23 mil) leaves 10 mil in cap space left.

Give Young 3 mil, Wesely 3 mil, and Farmar 4 mil, cap is full.

Give Hill the full MLE.

Give Henry the LLE.

That's 9 player roster.

Sign Blake for the vets min.

Problem with this team is no inside play whatsoever.

I doubt Kaman will return, and some of us Laker fans don't wanna see Pau in a Laker uni every again. (/me glares at Windu)

We are fine if we can get Melo to take around 17-18 mil. Then, maybe we could afford Sessions or Vareajo or some decent FA

#992 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,855 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted December 22, 2013 - 12:08 AM

If we sell Steve Nash for one 2nd rounder, we have Kobe 24 mil deal and Scare's 1 mil deal. Cap is 62, so by my math, that's 37 mil in cap space. Add in about 2 mil for a 1st rounder, and you have 35. IIRC we're still paying Duhon 1.9 mil. We have Marhsall on board still, but he's contract can be waived.

Give Hill the full MLE.

Give Henry the LLE.

That's 9 player roster.

I doubt Kaman will return, and some of us Laker fans don't wanna see Pau in a Laker uni every again. (/me glares at Windu)

We are fine if we can get Melo to take around 17-18 mil. Then, maybe we could afford Sessions or Vareajo or some decent FA

Sounds like a first round exit (at best) 80mil+ team.

#993 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,986 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 22, 2013 - 01:04 AM

Give Hill the full MLE.

Give Henry the LLE.

That's 9 player roster.

If Nash retires and opens up 9 mill extra that will help a lot. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#994 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,592 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 01:05 AM

Give Hill the full MLE.

Give Henry the LLE.

That's 9 player roster.

The most optimistic would be:

1. Nash retires due to medical reasons and we waive Meeks, Blake, Kelly, Kaman, Marshall. 

2. Young opts into his 1.2 million deal. 

3. Wes, Farmar, Henry agrees to take 2 million each. 

4. Hill takes the full midlevel.

With one first rounder at 1.5 million and four 0.5 capholds, we'd have arund 21 million in cap-space. Theoretically enough to sign Melo, if he'd take a million or two less. 

However, Nash probably isn't retiring, young wont opt in, Wes, Farmar and Henry probably wont take only 2 million, although they might and Hill is probably looking at a bit more than the MLE. 

#995 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,986 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 22, 2013 - 01:16 AM

The most optimistic would be:

1. Nash retires due to medical reasons and we waive Meeks, Blake, Kelly, Kaman, Marshall. 

2. Young opts into his 1.2 million deal. 

3. Wes, Farmar, Henry agrees to take 2 million each. 

4. Hill takes the full midlevel.

With one first rounder at 1.5 million and four 0.5 capholds, we'd have arund 21 million in cap-space. Theoretically enough to sign Melo, if he'd take a million or two less. 

However, Nash probably isn't retiring, young wont opt in, Wes, Farmar and Henry probably wont take only 2 million, although they might and Hill is probably looking at a bit more than the MLE. 

We have Hill's bird rights. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#996 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,457 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted December 22, 2013 - 01:40 AM

Nash won't be retiring but under the CBA we can use the stretch provision on his contract which is a type of waive process which is most likely going to be used on Nash whether we get a Carmelo or not.

Individually negotiated revisions to the payment schedule are not allowed for contracts signed or extended under the current CBA2. For these contracts or extensions the remaining guaranteed salary for a waived player is "stretched" and paid in equal amounts over a greater time span, as follows:

If the player is waived from July 1 to August 31, then his remaining salary is paid over twice the number of years remaining on his contract, plus one. For example, if the player is waived on August 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.3 million, respectively, then his remaining salary is paid over five years (two seasons times two, plus one), in even amounts of $4.1 million per year.

If the player is waived from September 1 to June 30, then the current season is paid per the normal payment schedule, and any remaining years are stretched over twice the number of years remaining plus one as described above. For example, if the player is waived on December 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.5 million, respectively, then the current season (at $10.2 million) is paid normally, and the final season (at $10.5 million) is stretched over three years (one season times two, plus one) and paid in even amounts of $3.5 million per year.

Read More

In essence Nash after this season Nash is getting only paid $9,701,000 million for next season.  But once he is stretched in the offseason which would fall under the timeline of July 1 to August 31 (for Nash contract it would be 1 x 2 + 1 = 3), Lakers will have 3 years to pay off that Nash contract which breaks it down to about paying Nash $3,233,666.67 over the next 3 years.

Compare paying Nash at 3 million over those years compare to paying Nash 9 million in the 2014 off-season is huge for Lakers this up coming off-season to get more players as Lakers will have more cap room this off-season by stretching Nash

Edited by magicbalala245, December 22, 2013 - 01:56 AM.

Posted Image

#997 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,592 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 01:48 AM

We have Hill's bird rights. 

Yes. But for us to use his bird rights, we need to include 6.5 milion worth of caphold in the payroll. 

We may be able to sign Melo but it would be at the expense of almost all of our current guys. 

Is Melo worth that? 

#998 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,222 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 07:42 AM

It doesn't matter if we have just enough cap room to sign Melo.  Once he's signed all of our flexibility is out the door.  Unless Melo alone makes this team as good as OKC, Miami, Indy or even the Spurs then the signing will set this franchise back worse than Kobe's contract.  Melo just isn't that good.  Sure it would be exciting to possibly see 2 guys drop 30 in a game together but what else? We'd still be a horrible defensive team and we'd still be in a position to choose between a quality defense C or a quality PG. 

Lakers are much better making a splash signing in 2015.  A max starting out for Love is 16.6M.  Much cheaper than Melo and then he's about 4 years younger and easier to build around future with.  Lakers should stay the course by bringing in reject talent, accumulating assets and make a way out of this [expletive] hole we are in. 

A few things to note:  We won't have the FULL MLE next year, only the Room MLE.  Know the difference and why that is.  Nash can only free up his cap hit IF he gets medical retired.  That is very unlikely even under his circumstances. Jordan Hill is a nice player but he's a glorified hustle man that should not be invested too deeply in (he's not an all star player and never will be).  Nick Young surprisingly has played himself out of that player option and will probably be looking to get paid.  We make the right decisions we could be a dangerous team in the near future but don't expect a championship run unless something drastic happens (Lebron signing, KD and Russ tear an ACL and Indy gets beat in the ECF all in the same year)

Edited by Jody Smokes, December 22, 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#999 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,222 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 07:53 AM

Has to be.  I can't even take his statement serious lol. 

He might just be one of those guys that just looks at points lol.

#1000 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,592 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 08:10 AM

It doesn't matter if we have just enough cap room to sign Melo.  Once he's signed all of our flexibility is out the door.  Unless Melo alone makes this team as good as OKC, Miami, Indy or even the Spurs then the signing will set this franchise back worse than Kobe's contract.  Melo just isn't that good.  Sure it would be exciting to possibly see 2 guys drop 30 in a game together but what else? We'd still be a horrible defensive team and we'd still be in a position to choose between a quality defense C or a quality PG. 

Lakers are much better making a splash signing in 2015.  A max starting out for Love is 16.6M.  Much cheaper than Melo and then he's about 4 years younger and easier to build around future with.  Lakers should stay the course by bringing in reject talent, accumulating assets and make a way out of this [expletive] hole we are in. 

A few things to note:  We won't have the FULL MLE next year, only the Room MLE.  Know the difference and why that is.  Nash can only free up his cap hit IF he gets medical retired.  That is very unlikely even under his circumstances. Jordan Hill is a nice player but he's a glorified hustle man that should not be invested too deeply in (he's not an all star player and never will be).  Nick Young surprisingly has played himself out of that player option and will probably be looking to get paid.  We make the right decisions we could be a dangerous team in the near future but don't expect a championship run unless something drastic happens (Lebron signing, KD and Russ tear an ACL and Indy gets beat in the ECF all in the same year)

I think you're right on the money, although Nick Young could accept that one-year deal and hope Mitch and co. repays that loyalty and come 2015. Hill may be a glorified hustle-man, but he's easily worth a contract equivalent of the MLE. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users