43 replies to this topic

#1 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,077 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:02 PM

I think a lot of board members owe this guy an apology.  Been the most solid wing player on the team.  Guys were ready to ship him because of Xavier Henry and Nick Young. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

• 40,431 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:04 PM

I already did in his thread in the player evaluations section early on. Don't include me as one of those still on the list.

Never would've even expected this much from him at his best to be honest. Can't say enough.

yo.

#3 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:20 PM

It's early.

He was good to begin last year too, and was just useless by the end of the season.

Posted Image

• 40,431 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:22 PM

^ Yeah, but never THIS good NOR THIS consistent. Specifically in going to the basket as well, it's clear he's made huge strides there in particular. He's actually finishing now. Can't compare him to D-Fish anymore in that regard.

yo.

#5 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,068 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:36 PM

I thought Meeks and hill were in line for improvement. Meeks TRIED to add something to his game last year, maybe the lane was too clogged or maybe the team around him was too slow ,, or maybe he needed a year to transition to being a better player. certainly the turmoil in the locker room was no place for him.

But I labeled him a new Sasha last season, but not a Euro player so less flopping, same tenacity but more athletic.

Now he's more comparable to JJ Reddick in my opinion, but more athletic, and less of a pure shooter , but better overall game.

He moves VERY well off the ball.

Xavier continues to play like a bull in a china shop at times. He's a good kid though so I think his next chance to shine he'll step up.

Good to see Nick Young get in there.

I need Wes Johnson to find some offensive confidence, but really if we had Kobe and Nash( playing solid) right now, aren't the pieces around them pretty nice.

I mean if Paul george or LeBron is out and those teams lost to the Grizz, would it be egregious?

I see something though, this team ( Grizz) isn't as sharp without Hollins. They better PRAY, none of their big 3 misses significant time.

#6 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:36 PM

^ Yeah, but never THIS good NOR THIS consistent. Specifically in going to the basket as well, it's clear he's made huge strides there in particular. He's actually finishing now. Can't compare him to D-Fish anymore in that regard.

True, but he still won't be good for this team if he goes through long slumps like he did last year.

Maybe his ability to get to the basket will get him consistently open. That's what I'm hoping.

Posted Image

#7 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:39 PM

I must admit, Jodie has looked great so far in this early season. He has made huge strides since last season. Last season I would cringe every time he dribbled the ball, as he always looked about as smooth as a car with square tires.

• 40,431 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 10:42 PM

True, but he still won't be good for this team if he goes through long slumps like he did last year.

Well that's the thing though. Last year if his outside shot wasn't going down he was pretty much worthless on the offensive side since he had nothing else going for him, but now this year with him having that added improved facet of his game on the attack & finishing, those slumps (if & when they occur) shouldn't be nearly as bad.

yo.

#9 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 11:16 PM

I was one of the few who said he was worth keeping for the simple fact he's cheap and works his ass off every single second he's on the floor

That's always worth keeping
Posted Image

#10 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted November 15, 2013 - 11:58 PM

Until this season, Meeks have been a 1-trick pony throughout his NBA career. 

Nice to see someone improve their game 

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#11 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,766 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted November 16, 2013 - 12:04 AM

No one owes Meeks anything, it's not as if he reads these boards and gets depressed or keeps a list of offenders.  Dude is getting paid millions to professionally play the game that we all obsess over for free.  I'm sure he's fine...

Jodie Meeks, leading scorer of the Los Angeles Lakers...how many people envisioned those words ever being said?

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#12 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,874 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted November 16, 2013 - 02:07 AM

He's the second leading scorer of a non-playoff team that is currently sitting on a 4-7 record, and he's averaging just 12 PPG (yet, on very good shooting percentages, so he gets credit there).

Our offense was ranked 27th in the NBA going into the Memphis game (and I know it didn't improve after tonight).  Meeks is a chunk of what we do on the offensive end, so here's where I'm going to pick at him...

Teams look away from him, let him do his thing.  Why?  It makes perfect sense to, because Jodie Meeks is not a ball distributor.  There are NINE players on this team who have more assists than Meeks.  That's everyone except for:

Shawne Williams

Robert Sacre

Elias Harris

Ryan Kelly

Three of those guys above have played 18 minutes or less, total, this season.

Also, 45 of his 81 shot attempts have been three-pointers.

So now, for those who have been watching, you'll see that Meeks is still having loads of trouble putting the ball on the floor.  He most definitely cannot defend his man.  He's the second-worst defensive player on this team, behind Steve Nash.  He doesn't create offense for anyone else, rarely creates it for himself (and of course, as fans, we'll remember the few times he actually does, to argue).  

It's difficult to give credit to a guy who's just shooting the ball very well...and doing nearly everything else badly.

#13 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,565 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 16, 2013 - 03:17 AM

I think you're being a bit harsh. He's hitting almost half of his threes without turning the ball over and he competes.

#14 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,874 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted November 16, 2013 - 03:36 AM

I think you're being a bit harsh. He's hitting almost half of his threes without turning the ball over and he competes.

So, he's a shorter version of Kyle Korver?

Now, ask yourself this: when was the last time Korver was the second-leading scorer on his team?  There was actually only one time, the post-Iverson 2006-07 Sixers, who finished the season 35-47 with the 26th-ranked offense in the NBA.

You want to know what's hilarious about all of this?  Here's Korver's statline so far this season:

13.1 PPG on 54.5% FG, 52.2% 3PT, 4.7 RPG, 2.9 APG, 1.3 SPG, 1.9 TO

Here's Meeks:

13.2 PPG on 52.6% FG, 48.1% 3PT, 2.7 RPG, 0.7 APG, 0.7 SPG, 1.0 TO

Neither play defense, but Korver is actually better at everything he does, minus limiting the turnovers...at 32 years old.

With Korver being known as a one-dimensional shooter for most of his career, what does that say about Jodie Meeks at 26 years old?

#15 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,391 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 16, 2013 - 06:35 AM

I own up to saying I can no longer support this cat. Leading the Lakers in scoring and thats about it. play some defense. Call it what you will, when he's on he's on but when he's off he is wack. He dissapears. I stick to what I said.
Posted Image

#16 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,590 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted November 16, 2013 - 06:52 AM

I'll say it.

My bad. He's playing much better than I expected and I thought he'd be seeing nothing but the end of the bench with all the guards and perimeter players we had brought in.

For those of you holding out because he's not good enough defensively, gimme a freaking break. He's a guy who has been the 6th, 7th, 8th, even 9th guy off the bench his entire career and expected to do nothing but shoot 3's. Now he's carrying the load for us offensively AND expected to guard Klay Thompson, James Harden, Eric Gordon, etc; guys who are much bigger and/or quicker than him (and just flat out better). You can't just give some props for what he IS doing?

#17 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,068 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 16, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Wow

I g

uess to some of you, if you're not Kobe or 2009 gasol, then EVERY ONE else is useless and worthless.

If you're a shooter but not the BESt like Korver, you mean NOTHING.

I really DGAF about a player's past, how tall is Meeks?

He's everything I want in my players. Never QUITS. He got better with time. Worked on his shot selection, and improved his ball handling.

RD, Jodie 's defense compared to Korver? korver is actually the height to be a good defender. jodie's only problem is that he's short. He certainly plays defense. 

Ioeno how ANY one can say Korver and Meeks bring the same defensive value.

but let's get this straight. Korver is PURE. Meeks ain't that type of shooter.

But as far as being one-dimensional and all that.

You're lucky to have 4 two way players on your tem.

Offensively, some guys can only get putbacks, catch lob and hit an open 10 footer, and unless you're Dwight Coward and insist on doing the thing you're not so good at(posting up and scoring) then no one criticizes guys who try as hard as Meeks

#18 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,565 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 07:50 AM

So, he's a shorter version of Kyle Korver?

Now, ask yourself this: when was the last time Korver was the second-leading scorer on his team?  There was actually only one time, the post-Iverson 2006-07 Sixers, who finished the season 35-47 with the 26th-ranked offense in the NBA.

You want to know what's hilarious about all of this?  Here's Korver's statline so far this season:

13.1 PPG on 54.5% FG, 52.2% 3PT, 4.7 RPG, 2.9 APG, 1.3 SPG, 1.9 TO

Here's Meeks:

13.2 PPG on 52.6% FG, 48.1% 3PT, 2.7 RPG, 0.7 APG, 0.7 SPG, 1.0 TO

Neither play defense, but Korver is actually better at everything he does, minus limiting the turnovers...at 32 years old.

With Korver being known as a one-dimensional shooter for most of his career, what does that say about Jodie Meeks at 26 years old?

First of all, i've said for a long time that we should move Jodie Meeks so i wouldn't exactly call myself a big supporter of the guy. But so far this season in only 6 more minutes per game than last season he's been playing pretty well. Not great, like the amazing Kyle Korver, but solid and better than last year. 

Btw, Korver is paid 6,7 million per year, Meeks only 1,5 million. 

#19 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,391 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 16, 2013 - 08:04 AM

The moment he starts bricking he will be on every crap list like he was in the off-season and the beggining of the season.
Posted Image

#20 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,565 posts

Posted November 16, 2013 - 08:45 AM

Meeks is a servicable back-up 2, nothing more, nothing less. He hits 3s at a decent clip, competes and doesn't make a lot of mistakes and for 1,5 million that's about all you can ask for. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users