Maleficent

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,044 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 07:37 PM

^I'm kinda shocked as well. Thought this would be rated PG-13 just like the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies. I mean, overall.. I'm sure kids ages 10 and older would be cool. But anyone younger, there'll probably be a chance they'll be frightened a bit.

• 40,399 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 10:02 PM

Another new trailer (Japanese) (with some new clips here & there):

yo.

#23 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,749 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 25, 2014 - 04:47 PM

am excited! 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

• 40,399 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 05:25 PM

Pretty cool. Brief interview with Angelina & Miss Fanning in there as well:

MALEFICENT - Official "Legacy" Featurette #1

yo.

#25 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,749 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 05:39 PM

yes well by the original story Maleficent WAS a good fairy once upon a time but went to the dark side.   I really like what they are doing and expanding her cursing Aurora beyond "there wasn't enough plates". 

#26 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,749 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 08:09 PM

.....perfection....

#27 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,154 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted May 10, 2014 - 08:17 PM

Wow, I'm just now noticing that Sharlto Copley is in this!

EyMlHkX.jpg

#28 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,198 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted May 11, 2014 - 10:56 AM

angelina jolie is so damn fine.

ap1.png

#29 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,749 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 06:46 PM

angelina jolie is so damn fine.

That's not Angelina Jolie it's Maleficent! 

#30 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 11, 2014 - 06:53 PM

At Disneyland's California Adventure, they have a special sneak preview in 3D, it's about 10 minutes. Went the other day and checked it out with the GF and I can say this is going to be a pretty awesome movie.  I'm not into these type of movies usually but Angelina Jolie looks like she got this down perfectly. 

#31 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,044 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 08:35 PM

tumblr_n5bt02GYpe1qf62udo1_250.giftumblr_n5bt02GYpe1qf62udo5_250.gif

tumblr_n5bt02GYpe1qf62udo2_250.giftumblr_n5bt02GYpe1qf62udo6_250.gif

tumblr_n5bt02GYpe1qf62udo3_250.giftumblr_n5bt02GYpe1qf62udo7_250.gif

tumblr_n5bt02GYpe1qf62udo4_250.giftumblr_n5bt02GYpe1qf62udo8_r1_250.gif

#32 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,105 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 11:00 PM

Angelina Jolie is one of the greatest actresses to ever live I'm not sure why it's shocking to people that she's going to kill this role
Posted Image

#33 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,371 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted May 30, 2014 - 07:20 PM

It was OK movie
Nothing great and Jolie didn't do much
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

• 40,399 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 07:56 PM

http://www.rottentom...aleficent_2014/

ad93a39c_l.png

http://www.metacriti...ovie/maleficent

6c7812e6_o.png

yo.

#35 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,749 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 09:04 PM

Saw it.  Personally loved it. 

But I could tell as i watched it that there was going to be a middle ground.  You were going to either love it or hate it.   But the universal opinion would be that Jolie was absolutely epic as Maleficent. 

The Maleficent in this movie and this tale is closer to the original material and the poem Briar's Thorn.  The Good Fairy that turned evil from many circumstances within the Kingdom and the straw breaking the camels back being not being invited to Aurora's Birth. 

I could tell this by how they were portraying King Stefan(though if they'd gone the REAL route he'd have raped Aurora as she slept) BUT I don't think they'd go THAT far to be close to the source. 

What they did though, was closer to the story than what Walt Disney did in the Animated picture which was butcher the character of Maleficent making her something for the hero to slay taking all her motives, reasoning and depth and just made her someone that does these kinds of things cause she has nothing better to do and does evil things just because till the hero kills her.   Like they did to Ursula in the Little Mermaid when they cut out her backstory too because too many people would side with her(same with Maleficent).

THIS movie however hammers home the point that the three fairies are one dimensional bimbos and Maleficent has the depth and that the kingdom has more skeletons in their closet than they'd like to act(in particular King Stefan).   I loved this perspective strictly because I hated those three fairies in the original animated story and felt Maleficent was shortchanged. 

So if you're going to see the Maleficent the animated movie tried to act like she was who just goes around taking candy from children, and destroying memories and dancing on the ashes of your failure just because she wants to.   Then you'll be disappointed.     If you go expecting the Maleficent closer to Briar Rose and original lore then you'll like it. 

The only problem with this movie I saw was that you could tell they wanted to tell a DARKER story and get to the nitty gritty and you can REALLY tell when "Disney" steps in and dumbs down parts of it.    There are parts of the movie that work extremely well and are very dark and are executed perfectly, and then there are other parts where you go 'yep..disney stepped in there..' it makes the tone at times feel uneven and it really stands out, almost as much as Alice and Wonderland's 'parts' where Disney would step in stood out of what would have been a darker movie without their interference. 

Spoiler

However that said it doesn't diminish the fantastic performance of Jolie as Maleficent nor the darker parts of the movie that are done perfectly.  It's just that other parts you can OBVIOUSLY tell where Disney steps in and tries to do the "disney thing" for kids.  So it feels uneven in that respect.

So after seeing it I fully expected people would be split on it and it even seems that way with the reviews up there. 

Edited by Majesty, May 30, 2014 - 09:36 PM.

#36 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 31, 2014 - 12:34 PM

Fantastic movie.   

My girlfriend was dying to see it so I took her and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. 

Angelina Jolie absolutely killed it as expected. 

#37 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,154 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted June 06, 2014 - 09:40 AM

EyMlHkX.jpg

#38 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,749 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 05:01 AM

Now that the shock value of the direction they went with the movie has worn off the movie has gained even more steam.   

Within it's first week it has gotten 245,887,000 world wide while budgeted at 180 million so it broke even within the first 5 days. 

It also has become Angelina Jolie's Largest opening weekend performance of her entire career. 
It Eclipsed Disney's other highest live action film midnight openings Alice in Wonderland(3.9 million) and Oz the Great and Powerful(2 million) with a whopping 4.2 million one Thusday Night showing.  
It also has become the third highest opening weekend grossing film of all time with a female lead, the first two being both Hunger Games movies with 69.4 million on opening weekend. 

And we're only in the 2nd week of it's release.  This movie and it's significance to "fairy tales" is going to echo loud and clear :)   To that I say, THANK YOU and about darn time!! 

Critics are divided down the middle on this movie, but now Fans and User Reviews are at almost 80% approval.  So basically right now the Critics are 50/50  the actual audience holds it at a near 80% positive.  Which is fantastic!! :)   Glad that this movie is going well, the way it turns fairy tales upside down and what it teaches within it is something much more important to give to a child than "true love happens when you dance randomly with someone in the woods and sing one song" and its hit home :)

I couldn't be happier that this movie is doing so well ^_^  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users