Photo

Video games may be more expensive in the near future. Will you still buy them?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

Off The Bench

• 2,652 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted November 12, 2013 - 10:28 AM

I have a friend who works for IGN as a marketing consultant and he told me the other day that expect an increase in price for the next generation console games to atleast 10 dollars more. So the avarage PS3 and Xbox game cost $59.99  The PS4 and Xboxone will increase to $69.99 and some games will be$79.99.  Due to the cost and profit margin of creating video games with such technical and high graphics, certain video game developers are not making enough profits to compensate the amount of money to create a game. Even the PC world will be affected with more expansive online charges and steam charges.  When you look at video games in the 80's to the 90's to the new melinium it has increases in price very rapidly and it only a matter of time when games will be at $100 dollar mark.

Would you guys still buy it if it comes up to that high?  I dont know if it will happen or if its true but thats what i heard from a friend of mind.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 20,824 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted November 12, 2013 - 10:33 AM

I don't buy many games. Outrageous increases would make me buy less. I'd like to buy multiplayer and campaign separately.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#3 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 1,996 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted November 12, 2013 - 10:55 AM

and thats why pirating games will continue to exist.

the industry is in a big trouble, they spend millions into a single game, they need to start cutting development cuts or reduce the marketing campaings.

Games Workshop isnt in the same industry, but their marketing aproach works, consumers spread the word about the hobby. fans spread the brand by their own fiction and art, videos, pictures alike.

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#4 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,017 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted November 12, 2013 - 10:59 AM

Games getting more expensive doesn't hurt me too much yet. I only play maybe 2 or 3 games for a whole year (NBA 2K, Madden since theres no other football & maybe a shooter here and there) plus sometimes I'll skip years like with Madden for instance since they don't change it much.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#5 epicwolf

epicwolf

Off The Bench

• 2,652 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted November 12, 2013 - 11:01 AM

and thats why pirating games will continue to exist.

the industry is in a big trouble, they spend millions into a single game, they need to start cutting development cuts or reduce the marketing campaings.

Games Workshop isnt in the same industry, but their marketing aproach works, consumers spread the word about the hobby. fans spread the brand by their own fiction and art, videos, pictures alike.

And this is also why there are more indy games developers out there and more people going for those type of games more. Those games doesnt cost much to make and still probably wouldn't increase in prices

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#6 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,418 posts
  • Name:Chao❤Wade
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted November 12, 2013 - 12:55 PM

The $10 increase was to be expected. PS2 games were $50, PS3 games were $60, some (if not most) PS4 games are likely to be $70. I used to always purchase games when they first game out, but I stopped doing it as of late. I, personally, have better things to do with my money and can play the same game for A LOT cheaper price on the PC. Everyone has their personal preference but that is my take. Just like with the PS4, if I am to get one, I'm going to wait 6 months to 1 year before doing so.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#7 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,004 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 12, 2013 - 01:13 PM

There will be games that come out for cheaper

Minecraft and state of decay come to mind

#8 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 1,996 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted November 12, 2013 - 01:44 PM

And this is also why there are more indy games developers out there and more people going for those type of games more. Those games doesnt cost much to make and still probably wouldn't increase in prices

you´re right 

I prefer my 20 bucks into mount and blade than other game out there

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

• 38,989 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 02:08 PM

I rarely buy games, but when I do, I've got no problem for the most part being patient & waiting for the price to come down or a good deal coming about.

yo.

#10 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,004 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted November 12, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Back in the 1990's, I lived overseas In Venezuela.

And we bought Zelda OoT. For 112 bucks or whatever

That was the most expensive game ever for me...
I remember when the GameCube came out, with their little discs, it was said that the smaller discs would lower production cost, and, bring down the price of games!!!

Never happen

#11 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 2,810 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted November 12, 2013 - 07:22 PM

That's gonna be bull especially when I want a game at release but for the rest....

I've got no problem for the most part being patient & waiting for the price to come down or a good deal coming about.

pTjodNA.gif

#12 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 9,897 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 12, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Battlefield 5 or whichever BF game is next after BF4 will definitely be a pre-order for me and I'd pay the extra cash for it.

That's about it. Other than that, just wait it out.

Just not many franchises out there that I reallyy like. Uncharted is like the only other slight possibility.

#13 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,938 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:14 AM

I doubt they get to $80.

But regardless, that's why preordering is the way to go. Pay it as you go, not all at one time.

#14 -MagicKareemKobe-

-MagicKareemKobe-

Rookie

• 1,206 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted November 13, 2013 - 04:59 PM

70 bucks would definitely see me buy less games. That's outrageous. 

#15 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,237 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 21, 2013 - 09:39 PM

90% of the games I play on Xbox are Xbox Arcade titles.  Maybe once or twice a year I buy a game.

They are already massively over-priced as it is.  Also, I can't afford a next-gen system anyway, so if the price of the games also increases, I'm out of the video game market for good.

#16 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,882 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 23, 2013 - 03:06 PM

I seriously doubt we ever see an increase in the standard price of games.  If anything they could get cheaper due to a lot customers moving over to the download/digital format.  This is a part of the reason why the same games released on PC have managed to be cheaper.

Now they are finding ways to get extra money from games via microtransactions and extra downloadable content. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#17 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,237 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 23, 2013 - 06:17 PM

I recently got Steam on my computer (and I can use the standard Xbox controller with it), and the prices for the exact same games, plus some more maps and such are far cheaper.

#18 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 22,642 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted November 23, 2013 - 07:51 PM

they used that for Gameplay commentary's on Youtube right?

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users