Photo

If you could have one center to anchor your team with, who would it be?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,470 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted November 13, 2013 - 12:09 AM

Not sure if this is a troll or...
iyjywo.jpg

• 40,400 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 12:16 AM

^ Some people are just so stubborn they can't even accept defeat to the great Real Deal. If more people could learn that sometimes humility is the best course of action, society could be so much better off.

yo.

#83 Lakers#1Fan

Lakers#1Fan

Rookie

• 58 posts
  • Fan Since:1983
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted November 13, 2013 - 12:26 AM

^ Some people are just so stubborn they can't even accept defeat to the great Real Deal. If more people could learn that sometimes humility is the best course of action, society could be so much better off.

Sorry, I guess I am new here. I didn't know there was a basketball God here. I'm sorry that you are too afraid to debate a certain member, but the Great XX, or the "Great Real Deal", or the Great whoever you feel is legend here, doesn't deter me from debating the game. I love the Lakers and talking basketball no matter who it is I'm talking to. I'm sorry you feel so inferior to another person. Grow a pair.

Edited by Lakers#1Fan, November 13, 2013 - 12:42 AM.

• 40,400 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 12:38 AM

^ A little fight in you, I like that. No but really bro, don't mean to offend you. I'm only offering my advice off of grand experience here. If you want to gain knowledge, then by all means go for it. No shame or harm in that, but if you're going into a debate with the great Real Deal thinking you're actually going to win. I'm sorry, but it just about never happens here. It may sound like I'm totally kissing ass, sure, but I wouldn't be doing so this much if it weren't completely warranted & earned. The man didn't just earn his legendary status by some pure-like coincidence or mistake. He's been doing his thing for years just like our beloved Black Mamba.

yo.

#85 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 13, 2013 - 12:56 AM

Kevin Love is also listed as a center. Is Davis better than Love? The numbers don't say so.. Love avg's 26 and 15, Davis avg's 21 and 12..

That's funny, because your answer to this topic was this:

As the question goes, I'll take Chris Kaman.

And the numbers for Chris Kaman (9 and 6) don't say so, since that's what you're going by.  Not even close.

So, you're trolling...or, you're tripping up, badly.  One or the other.

tumblr_mowjwsq0xQ1snfsquo1_400.gif

#86 Lakers#1Fan

Lakers#1Fan

Rookie

• 58 posts
  • Fan Since:1983
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted November 13, 2013 - 01:20 AM

That's funny, because your answer to this topic was this:

And the numbers for Chris Kaman (9 and 6) don't say so, since that's what you're going by.  Not even close.

So, you're trolling...or, you're tripping up, badly.  One or the other.

tumblr_mowjwsq0xQ1snfsquo1_400.gif

When I mentioned Kaman, it was just a Laker thing, not totally serious. Besides, Kaman went 8, 9, and 6 tonight, Davis went 15, 5 and 2.  Davis led in points and Kaman led in boards and assists. Kaman won this battle if you add it up. Who was the better player tonight? Kaman. If the debate ended after tonights game, I'm right.  Either way, I think Davis is a PF and you feel he is a center. How is that trolling when everywhere you look on the internet he is a PF. Am I making it up? I believe he is a PF, how is that trolling? Do I have to agree with you in order to not be a troll?

Edited by Lakers#1Fan, November 13, 2013 - 01:57 AM.

#87 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:04 AM

Minutes are right here: http://www.82games.c...NOH12.HTM#bypos

Davis plays more at center than any player on the team (51% of the minutes), and given that he plays 27% of the team's PF minutes, that means he's also playing center more than he is PF.

Davis may be listed as a C some places and in this nauseating small-ball-centric league many would consider him a C. But at 220 pounds he’s not a true C, but more of a KG-type PF capable of playing the C. 82games may have him playing 51% of his minutes at the C, but that’s because they consider 7’0’’ Jason Smith a PF. More than 30 mpg, Davis plays next to either Jason Smith or Greg Stiemsma, who both are Cs.

But who the hell cares. He's a 'Big' and if I had to pick 1 guy to build my team around for the next decade, I’d probably pick Davis ahead of anyone else – including LBJ.

#88 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,469 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted November 13, 2013 - 08:08 AM

When I mentioned Kaman, it was just a Laker thing, not totally serious. Besides, Kaman went 8, 9, and 6 tonight, Davis went 15, 5 and 2.  Davis led in points and Kaman led in boards and assists. Kaman won this battle if you add it up. Who was the better player tonight? Kaman. If the debate ended after tonights game, I'm right.  Either way, I think Davis is a PF and you feel he is a center. How is that trolling when everywhere you look on the internet he is a PF. Am I making it up? I believe he is a PF, how is that trolling? Do I have to agree with you in order to not be a troll?

Its trolling because you are giving your opinion (Davis is PF) on a statement that is a fact (Davis is C).

#89 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,575 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted November 13, 2013 - 08:24 AM

This conversation with Davis... Reminds me of the conversation back with amare stoudimire.

Dantonie played him at center, but, for the other 29 teams, he would be a pf

Davis is a super unique talent in the low post

#90 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 08:59 AM

Its trolling because you are giving your opinion (Davis is PF) on a statement that is a fact (Davis is C).

Fact?

NBA.com has him listed as a F-C and ESPN as a PF. He shares the court most of his minutes with Greg Stiemsma and Jason Smith who most would call Cs and he has the size and game of a PF. 

#91 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,131 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:09 AM

To put an end to this let me ask you a question

What's Tim Duncan?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#92 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,469 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted November 13, 2013 - 01:07 PM

Fact?

NBA.com has him listed as a F-C and ESPN as a PF. He shares the court most of his minutes with Greg Stiemsma and Jason Smith who most would call Cs and he has the size and game of a PF. 

Davis plays more minutes at center than he does at PF...so his primary position is center. Thats a fact...

#93 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted November 13, 2013 - 05:13 PM

Your size doesn't make you a C or a PF.  Ben Wallace was a center.  Rasheed Wallace, who "looked" more like a center, was a PF.

Jason Smith scores the majority of his points off jumpshots...89% of his attempts are jumpers outside of the paint, because he plays PF in the offense the Pelicans run.  How this is even debatable is beyond me.  

And once again, don't give me the rubbish about what they are listed at.  CBS Sports listed them both at PF, so I guess the Pelicans just don't have a center.

If you actually venture over to NBA.com, you'll also see that a lot of the heights and weights aren't correct.  They aren't updated often...and neither are positions.  Jason Smith may have played the majority of his minutes at center for a different team, if he's listed as a C-F...but that doesn't mean that's the case this season.

Use the eye check.  Simply watch the game.  Davis is the defensive anchor.  He posts up FAR more than Smith.  He takes around 59% of his shots outside of the paint, compared to Smith's 89%.  He defends post players more than Smith does, despite weighing less.  He runs down the court, through the lane, on breaks...like centers are directed to do.

Now, if all you're going to do is say you're correct...then I truly have no idea what else to explain or present, at this point.  My end of the table is so full, it looks like Thanksgiving dinner for Dwight Howard and his children.

• 40,400 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Now, if all you're going to do is say you're correct...then I truly have no idea what else to explain or present, at this point.  My end of the table is so full, it looks like Thanksgiving dinner for Dwight Howard and his children.

Lmao. :clap2:

yo.

#95 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 09:38 PM

Your size doesn't make you a C or a PF.  Ben Wallace was a center.  Rasheed Wallace, who "looked" more like a center, was a PF.

Jason Smith scores the majority of his points off jumpshots...89% of his attempts are jumpers outside of the paint, because he plays PF in the offense the Pelicans run.  How this is even debatable is beyond me.  

And once again, don't give me the rubbish about what they are listed at.  CBS Sports listed them both at PF, so I guess the Pelicans just don't have a center.

If you actually venture over to NBA.com, you'll also see that a lot of the heights and weights aren't correct.  They aren't updated often...and neither are positions.  Jason Smith may have played the majority of his minutes at center for a different team, if he's listed as a C-F...but that doesn't mean that's the case this season.

Use the eye check.  Simply watch the game.  Davis is the defensive anchor.  He posts up FAR more than Smith.  He takes around 59% of his shots outside of the paint, compared to Smith's 89%.  He defends post players more than Smith does, despite weighing less.  He runs down the court, through the lane, on breaks...like centers are directed to do.

Whatever man, lets just see who they start at the 5, if they land Asik. 

• 40,400 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 02:18 PM

Some of you huge Dwight proponents in here, check this out.

Here are a few of Dwight's failures against Bargnani last night. He's now made both Bargnani & Pau, two of the softest damn players in the league look like defensive beasts. Let that marinate.

yo.

#97 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted November 15, 2013 - 02:43 PM

I've always considered Love a PF, similar to Aldridge, but obviously more rebounding emphasis. Davis I do consider as a center, more than a PF.

Isn't the general tell usually back to the basket, center? While PF especially nowadays seem more comfortable past the baseline.

#98 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,131 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 15, 2013 - 02:57 PM

Some of you huge Dwight proponents in here, check this out.

Here are a few of Dwight's failures against Bargnani last night. He's now made both Bargnani & Pau, two of the softest damn players in the league look like defensive beasts. Let that marinate.

Dwight getting locked down by Bargnani.   Like I said, dude never got better after leading the Magic to the finals, but the rest of the league did, that's why he only made it to the conference finals the next year, and the first round the next before his injury the following year. 

Guy never got better,  never will get better.  He just got locked up by Bargnani for crying out loud and the Knicks left Bargnani on him ALONE.  

When the heck have you ever seen that? In 09 they'd double team him down low all the darn time. Even in 2011 they were still doing that.  

But now they can leave Bargnani on him by himself and he can successfully lock down Dwight Howard. 

Like I said, Dwight Howard's days as 'best center in the game' don't make it past this year. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#99 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 11:24 PM

Dwight's days as the best center in basketball is over and he wasted what could have been the best few years in his career with sulking, indecisiveness and general douche-ness. 

Actually, (i know people will laugh) Bargnanis defense in isolation-plays isn't all that bad, at least not according to this study:

http://www.sloanspor...for the NBA.pdf

Amazing what people can get out of stats.

Edited by DanishLakerFan, November 15, 2013 - 11:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users