Photo

If you could have one center to anchor your team with, who would it be?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,252 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted November 12, 2013 - 12:51 AM

Anthony Davis. The guy has it all.

#62 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 12, 2013 - 08:58 AM

Javale mcgee

has heart but dumb :)

33bkfif.jpg

#63 Lakers#1Fan

Lakers#1Fan

Rookie

• 58 posts
  • Fan Since:1983
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted November 12, 2013 - 09:40 PM

You'll find Anthony Davis' name notched at center 51% of the time during Pelican games, versus him logging only 26% of the PF minutes.

Duncan was listed as a PF for years, even known as one by most fans...but he was almost always a center.  He was the anchor, the guy defending Shaq, Yao, etc...and that was the case from David Robinson's retirement up until Splitter's emergence as a starter.

Davis is most definitely a center.

You'll find Anthony Davis' name notched at center 51% of the time during Pelican games, versus him logging only 26% of the PF minutes.

Duncan was listed as a PF for years, even known as one by most fans...but he was almost always a center.  He was the anchor, the guy defending Shaq, Yao, etc...and that was the case from David Robinson's retirement up until Splitter's emergence as a starter.

Davis is most definitely a center.

Kaman was the best center tonight, lol. I still think Davis is more a PF. Jason Smith is slotted as the center and Davis as the PF. Davis plays defense against the PF's, Smith plays D' against the centers. Pretty much everywhere I look, he's slated as the center. ESPN NBA for example. And let's not forget the team, the Pelicans have him at PF. 

#64 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 12, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Minutes are right here: http://www.82games.c...NOH12.HTM#bypos

Davis plays more at center than any player on the team (51% of the minutes), and given that he plays 27% of the team's PF minutes, that means he's also playing center more than he is PF.

#65 Lakers#1Fan

Lakers#1Fan

Rookie

• 58 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 10:21 PM

Minutes are right here: http://www.82games.c...NOH12.HTM#bypos

Davis plays more at center than any player on the team (51% of the minutes), and given that he plays 27% of the team's PF minutes, that means he's also playing center more than he is PF.

You repeated yourself. He's still listed as a PF on most if not all NBA websites. Nba.Com. ESPN, etc. He plays against PF's, just like he played against Gasol tonight and not Kaman. The same would have been if Howard or Bynum was still here. He wouldn't have guarded those guys, A center would.

#66 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 10:35 PM

You repeated yourself. He's still listed as a PF on most if not all NBA websites. Nba.Com. ESPN, etc. He plays against PF's, just like he played against Gasol tonight and not Kaman. The same would have been if Howard or Bynum was still here. He wouldn't have guarded those guys, A center would.

He is listed as a PF due to him being shorter, and less weight, than Jason Smith.  Approximately 89% of Jason's shots are jumpers.  He has played PF all of his career...but let me go ahead and find his listings:

http://www.basketbal.../smithja02.html (Forward)

http://www.nba.com/p...ile/jason_smith (Center-Forward)

http://www.nola.com/...orward_j_1.html (Forward)

http://sports.yahoo....ba/players/4298 (Forward-Center)

http://www.insidehoo...m/blog/?p=12610 (Forward)

http://www.cbssports...897/jason-smith (Power Forward)

So, I'm assuming now you're forced to believe that the Pelicans have no center, or...?

Anthony Davis plays more center than he does PF.  Fact.

Jason Smith plays more PF than he does center.  Fact.

You can believe what you want, though.

#67 Lakers#1Fan

Lakers#1Fan

Rookie

• 58 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 10:39 PM

Who does Davis defend? PF or Centers? He plays against the other teams PF's. True centers will guard the other teams center, not the PF. If he doesn't, then he's not truly a center. He may play that position off and on, but in my opinion, a legit center plays it on both ends. To each his own. I guess if the question was switched to "what PF you would most want on your team" Davis would be mentioned just as much.

Edited by Lakers#1Fan, November 12, 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#68 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 10:43 PM

Who does Davis defend? PF or Centers? He plays against the other teams PF's. True centers will guard the other teams center, not the PF. If he doesn't, then he's not truly a center. He may play that position off and on, but a legit center plays it on both ends.

So LeBron isn't a legit SF?  He defends four positions on the court, off and on.  Plays PF quite often on the offensive end.

Yeah, he defended Gasol tonight.  Hill was the other starter.  Hill racked up 26 minutes in this game, and so did Pau.  Kaman played 21.  I'd rather not go and take screenshots of the game, but if it's that important, I'll download all eight Pelican games from this season (I've seen six of them, since Anthony Davis is one of my favorite players right now).

#69 Lakers#1Fan

Lakers#1Fan

Rookie

• 58 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 10:51 PM

So LeBron isn't a legit SF?  He defends four positions on the court, off and on.  Plays PF quite often on the offensive end.

Yeah, he defended Gasol tonight.  Hill was the other starter.  Hill racked up 26 minutes in this game, and so did Pau.  Kaman played 21.  I'd rather not go and take screenshots of the game, but if it's that important, I'll download all eight Pelican games from this season (I've seen six of them, since Anthony Davis is one of my favorite players right now).

I edited my post. If the question were "what PF would you have to start a new team or anchor your team" I bet just as many would say Davis. Who would you choose?

#70 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 10:58 PM

0:34 - Davis playing center, down low with Gasol

0:47 - Davis playing center, Kaman on him this time, posts up

1:09 - Davis down the lane, Kaman on him, he immediately posts up

1:43 - 2:06 - Davis takes one side of post (two plays), Davis runs down the lane on break (two plays)

2:11 - Davis posts up on Kaman down low

2:48 - block on Gasol down low

I'm not going to watch the rest.  Some plays I left out, only one was with Smith in the post, Davis outside and taking a jumper.  I left out instances where Davis kicked it to Smith for a jumper a bit beyond the elbow, and 3-4 other times that Davis ran down the middle, into the lane, and finished (like centers do), while Smith was about 40 feet from the rim.  Just didn't care to add it.

And again, that's just against the Lakers in their first meeting.  He plays center most of the time he's on the floor.

#71 Lakers#1Fan

Lakers#1Fan

Rookie

• 58 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 11:00 PM

0:34 - Davis playing center, down low with Gasol

0:47 - Davis playing center, Kaman on him this time, posts up

1:09 - Davis down the lane, Kaman on him, he immediately posts up

1:43 - 2:06 - Davis takes one side of post (two plays), Davis runs down the lane on break (two plays)

2:11 - Davis posts up on Kaman down low

2:48 - block on Gasol down low

I'm not going to watch the rest.  Some plays I left out, only one was with Smith in the post, Davis outside and taking a jumper.  I left out instances where Davis kicked it to Smith for a jumper a bit beyond the elbow, and 3-4 other times that Davis ran down the middle, into the lane, and finished (like centers do), while Smith was about 40 feet from the rim.  Just didn't care to add it.

And again, that's just against the Lakers in their first meeting.  He plays center most of the time he's on the floor.

Who's your favorite Pf then? Many would say Davis. To me he is the best PF in the game right now. Who would you pick?

#72 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 11:04 PM

I edited my post. If the question were "what PF would you have to start a new team or anchor your team" I bet just as many would say Davis. Who would you choose?

A lot of people wouldn't say Davis, they'd say Kevin Love...me included.

#73 Lakers#1Fan

Lakers#1Fan

Rookie

• 58 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 11:05 PM

A lot of people wouldn't say Davis, they'd say Kevin Love...me included.

Kevin Love is also listed as a center. Is Davis better than Love? The numbers don't say so.. Love avg's 26 and 15, Davis avg's 21 and 12..

Edited by Lakers#1Fan, November 12, 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#74 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 11:10 PM

Kevin Love is also listed as a center. Is Davis better than Love? The numbers don't say so..

:|

Nikola Pekovic is the center for the Wolves.  He starts at center, he plays all of his minutes at center.

http://www.82games.c...MIN15.HTM#bypos (Pekovic)

http://www.82games.c...MIN12.HTM#bypos (Love)

That's enough.

• 40,556 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 11:14 PM

Nikola Pekovic is the center for the Wolves.  He starts at center, he plays all of his minutes at center.

That's enough.

:laughing:

Sorry Lakers#1Fan, no offense intended, just couldn't help it after a while.

yo.

#76 Lakers#1Fan

Lakers#1Fan

Rookie

• 58 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 11:22 PM

:laughing:

Sorry Lakers#1Fan, no offense intended, just couldn't help it after a while.

When did I say Nikola wasn't a center? 

That's enough.

When did I say Nikola wasn't a center? He is listed as "Center" and that's exactly what he is, as well as Love. Davis is listed as the same as Love, a PF and a center. If the case is the same for he and Davis, then why would Davis be talked about as the best center when Love's numbers are better than his? If they are both PF's/ centers, then numbers alone, Keven Love is the better center, yet he is not mentioned in this thread. They both play the same positions.

#77 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 11:43 PM

Layman's terms: Love is a primary PF.  Davis is a primary C.  It's not difficult to figure out.

So when you ask who to build a team around, or who to vote into an all-star game, or who your favorite player at each position is...you use their primary position.

Otherwise, LeBron is the best PF, SF, SG and PG in the NBA...since he plays all of them (yet, he's sure not listed as a guard, huh?)...

I don't care what the players are listed as.  Kevin Love is a PF, and Anthony Davis is a center...the same way Kobe was NOT a SF last year (despite playing SF in a small lineup a bit too much), and Duncan posted up as a big, played in the offense as a big, and defended bigs throughout his career, despite being called the greatest PF to ever play the game.

I'm done talking about it.

#78 Lakers#1Fan

Lakers#1Fan

Rookie

• 58 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 11:51 PM

Layman's terms: Love is a primary PF.  Davis is a primary C.  It's not difficult to figure out.

So when you ask who to build a team around, or who to vote into an all-star game, or who your favorite player at each position is...you use their primary position.

Otherwise, LeBron is the best PF, SF, SG and PG in the NBA...since he plays all of them (yet, he's sure not listed as a guard, huh?)...

I don't care what the players are listed as.  Kevin Love is a PF, and Anthony Davis is a center...the same way Kobe was NOT a SF last year (despite playing SF in a small lineup a bit too much), and Duncan posted up as a big, played in the offense as a big, and defended bigs throughout his career, despite being called the greatest PF to ever play the game.

I'm done talking about it.

If you are done, our conversation is over then. Let's just see when the All star game comes this year. We will see if voted on and he earns an invitation, will he be listed as a PF or a Center. It is in fact the "All Star" game, so if he is in it according to you, he will be a center. If you are right you are right. We can talk in February.

Edited by Lakers#1Fan, November 12, 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#79 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 11:57 PM

If you are done, our conversation is over then. Let's just see when the All star game comes this year. We will see if voted on and wins an invitation, will he be listed as a PF or a Center. It is in fact the "All Star" game, so if he is in it according to you, he will be a center. If you are right you are right. We can talk in February.

Actually, as of last year, the all-star game votes in three frontcourt players now, doesn't list centers or forwards, so...?

http://espn.go.com/n...all-star-ballot

Again, it's whatever you believe.  Not sure what else to tell you.  You're incorrect, though, because statistics (and logical reasoning) say Love is a PF, Davis a center.  If you know more than a statistical analysis of their game, then...well, k.

• 40,556 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 12:03 AM

If you are done, our conversation is over then. If you are right you are right.

2vs2cmq.jpg

yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users