Photo

If you could have one center to anchor your team with, who would it be?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 02:12 PM

Drummond is a little bit of a lazy ass. But physically he's as impressive as McGee or Dwight

But I used to watch him struggle to score against your average college kid and brick jumpers about as bad as you can when just shooting around

He seems to have improved his workout but he's a wait an see
Posted Image

#42 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 09, 2013 - 02:13 PM

very true, but he hasn't changed as a player since then, and that Orlando Magic wouldn't make the finals now lead by him. And if people wanted to be pessimistic they'd say that if the Celtics had Garnett they'd have beat the Magic in 6 just like they did the following year.

But honestly with Dwight "now" as in "currently" I don't see him 'leading' any team to another NBA Finals.  2009 was 4 years ago, the league has changed back then and players have gotten better while he's remained the same. 

So there's that to take into equation as well.  Give him the same roster that the Orlando Magic had in 2009, that team doesn't make it out of the 2nd round in the East currently.   I am willing to bet that.

I don't have a problem admitting that the 2009 Orlando Magic wouldn't be in the ECF's this season...but here's the thing: you can't give me a single big man (in today's game) that would have carried them to the Finals. Stick Kevin Love in there, and that Orlando team is one of the worst defensive squads in the league.

So my question becomes this: what big man would have kept them a top five defensive team, while giving the shooters wide-open touches all night long? There isn't one out there. You don't need to double Roy Hibbert or Marc Gasol, and while Anthony Davis is creeping up into an all-star career, he wouldn't have been the guy to get them there, either.

I don't want to see people dismissing Houston as a contender after 5-6 games...because that's what happened to the Heat in 2010, and somewhat the case with the 2008 Celtics when they were tested by both Atlanta and Cleveland (seven game series for each) in their first two playoff rounds together.

That's not saying the Rockets will win it all, but when you put together a team that shouldn't play well together...but that has the potential to adjust and make it happen...you can't turn your head so quickly.

The truth is, Howard didn't have anyone in 2009. Hedo and Lewis needed him far, far, far more than he relied on them. Since Detroit in 2004, how many NBA teams have won championships without two true NBA star players on their rosters? Dallas in 2011, and the reason they did was because they had lock-down defenders (Marion, Chandler, Kidd) that made up for their superstar's lack of defense.

Howard, Harden and Parsons can be a scary trio. McHale just needs to bring in a starting stretch four by trading Asik, then finding the right PG in his lineup, to create that exceptional compatibility.

#43 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,920 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted November 09, 2013 - 03:01 PM

Anthony Davis

Young, small ball center, perfect for modern NBA

Hibbert is your classical 7-foot center

Vuciciv in Orlando or pekavicic in minnisota are both nice stat stuffing centers...

#44 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 04:09 PM

I don't think much of parsons personally. To me he's nothing more than a good role player

He's not bosh, ray Allen, Lamar Odom

From my perspective

But harden and Howard are enough to at least get a WCF appearance. Don't think they stand a chance against a healthy warriors team

Top to bottom that team smokes Houston, clippers and everyone else

They have down low scoring, perimeter shooting, down low defense, and perimeter defense along with a decent bench
Posted Image

#45 lildvl10

lildvl10

Rookie

• 741 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted November 09, 2013 - 04:39 PM

pau

#46 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,731 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 09, 2013 - 04:45 PM

Howard has regressed

#47 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,271 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted November 09, 2013 - 05:53 PM

D. Howard

A. Davis

D. Cousins

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

• 40,380 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 11:46 PM

Phil Jackson tells Seth Davis why Dwight Howard has the tools to win an NBA title.

Like being the best pick-n-roll big in the game.

Why did he refuse to do it so much last year knowing this? What's the excuse?

Get over the hate.

Wow? Really? Since when is stating facts hate? Are you telling me that Dwight Howard is a great free throw shooter and great post-up player? C'mon man. Don't confuse facts with hate.

yo.

#49 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,072 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 10, 2013 - 02:04 AM

It's no point in being the best pick and roll center in the game if you refuse to run the pick and roll.

It's as useless as being the best three point shooter in the game and wanting shoot only layups and passing up every three you get.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#50 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,043 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted November 10, 2013 - 05:05 AM

We need more time to see how Dwight does with a new team, but he looks exactly the same as he did last year. He's still the best C in the league, but he doesn't look like a superstar.

It's early, but I thought he would at least be improved physically from last season.

Posted Image

#51 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,418 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted November 10, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Why did he refuse to do it so much last year knowing this? What's the excuse?

Wow? Really? Since when is stating facts hate? Are you telling me that Dwight Howard is a great free throw shooter and great post-up player? C'mon man. Don't confuse facts with hate.

Clearly he didn't want to be here........thats why he left.

Saying he won't win a championship because of his FT shooting (he was only 2 games away from winning a title) is hating. The rest of his game makes up for his FTs

#52 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,072 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 01:58 PM

it's the same kind of things, when players don't want to be somewhere they perform and play differently.

Nick Young by example WANTS to be here, and what is he doing?  He's trying to be unselfish, trying on defense and passing the ball maybe even too much.   He doesn't want to be selfish Nick Young out there for his stats alone as a Laker, because he wants to be a Laker and he wants to help the team win.  Thus he plays differently.  

• 40,380 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 02:38 PM

Saying he won't win a championship because of his FT shooting (he was only 2 games away from winning a title) is hating.

It's not hating when he hasn't done it yet doesn't matter how CLOSE he was. Until he proves otherwise, the statement is warranted. At the end of the day, you either win the title or you don't. If you don't, as Kobe likes to say, you're just dog[expletive] like everyone else. Tough truth.

yo.

#54 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,072 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 02:47 PM

Saying he won't win a championship because of his FT shooting (he was only 2 games away from winning a title) is hating. The rest of his game makes up for his FTs

How close has he gotten since then?

#55 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,255 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted November 10, 2013 - 04:50 PM

People still pointing to 2009.

It's 2013. This isn't 2009 Dwight anymore. He's still coming off a major injury and he has yet to prove to us that he can be the Dwight of old.

Yes, based off the numbers he put up last season, you can say he was the best Center in the league. But he wasn't. Not defensively (Hibbert and Gasol both better) and not offensively.

If you want to hold him to the standards of today's Centers then sure, he's the best in the league. Whatever that's worth. I will be the first to admit that I called Dwight the best center in the league throughout last season, and I'm not going to deny his impact on the game but as of now there are better centers.

Fact of the matter is I am aware of what he has done and what he's capable of doing. But he has to prove that he can do it again coming off a major injury. Dwight hasn't been the most effective center in the league since April 2012.

Edited by Triple Ocho, November 10, 2013 - 04:51 PM.

EAT
SLEEP
CONQUER
REPEAT

#56 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,028 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted November 10, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Hibbert or AD 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#57 Lakers#1Fan

Lakers#1Fan

Rookie

• 58 posts
  • Fan Since:1983
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted November 10, 2013 - 05:01 PM

People here have mentioned Anthony Davis. He's listed as PF, so I'm not sure how to take that. He is not a Center apparently, so his name shouldn't be mentioned. As the question goes, I'll take Chris Kaman.

Edited by Lakers#1Fan, November 10, 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#58 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 847 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted November 11, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Marc Gasol.

#59 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,707 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted November 11, 2013 - 09:24 PM

it's the same kind of things, when players don't want to be somewhere they perform and play differently.

Nick Young by example WANTS to be here, and what is he doing?  He's trying to be unselfish, trying on defense and passing the ball maybe even too much.   He doesn't want to be selfish Nick Young out there for his stats alone as a Laker, because he wants to be a Laker and he wants to help the team win.  Thus he plays differently.  

Not seeing that on the court at all.  He takes bad shots with wide open teammates available.  The stats tell the same story.  Basically he is replicating his career averages, maybe a  worse in some areas.

#60 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted November 12, 2013 - 12:28 AM

People here have mentioned Anthony Davis. He's listed as PF, so I'm not sure how to take that. He is not a Center apparently, so his name shouldn't be mentioned. As the question goes, I'll take Chris Kaman.

You'll find Anthony Davis' name notched at center 51% of the time during Pelican games, versus him logging only 26% of the PF minutes.

Duncan was listed as a PF for years, even known as one by most fans...but he was almost always a center.  He was the anchor, the guy defending Shaq, Yao, etc...and that was the case from David Robinson's retirement up until Splitter's emergence as a starter.

Davis is most definitely a center.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users