80 replies to this topic

#41 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 725 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:43 PM

U don't score 81 points, mostly 3s, or have many 60+ point games if you can't shoot.

#42 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,361 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:53 PM

U don't score 81 points, mostly 3s, or have many 60+ point games if you can't shoot.

You're still missing his point. 

Kobe is a scorer. Can he shoot? Sure.  Is he a great shooter? No. 

A great shooter is that of a Curry, Nash, Allen, etc. 

Kobe is a career 33% from three point range. That's not being a great shooter in any sense.  His highest % from three is 38 and that was back when he was 24 years old. 

Kobe's a volume shooter from beyond the arc.  He can make multiple threes in a row when he's feeling it, but he's not exactly what you would call reliable from three. 

There's nothing wrong with him not being a great shooter. Neither was Jordan (career 32% from three).  Kobe is a scorer and one of the best the game has seen. He can score from where ever he wants but doesn't mean he's a shooter. 

#43 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:57 PM

I never said Kobe was JUST a scorer.  You should read, it may save your life one day.  Kobe is a 34% 3 pt shooter for his career.  That is not sharpshooter status.  And what does Harry and Lebron have to do with anything?

hmm tell that to the coaches kobe plays against, kobe is a much better shooter than his stats would lead a geek to believe. his jacked up finger and willingness to shoot from anywhere on the court havent helped that stat though. The way he is defended also doesnt help but it does affirm his prowes. Dont recall seeing him dared to shoot in any playoff game against pop or any other coach. The guy has taken so many contested bail out shots when passed the ball at the last second. id say 34 is very good under the circumstances but stats usually mean very little to me when it comes to comparisons, too many variables.

and with that i am in no way saying he is a sharpshooter, just pointing out the flaws af a stat based argument. if anyone keeps a stat of uncontested shot percentage(and by that i dont mean kobe's idea of uncontested from half-court), that may be more interesting. a guy guarded like kobe or mj is not likely to have the same percentages as a guy camping on the 3 pt line.

some players can shoot on the move and run to spots as well as take the stand still, another reason i dont thinks stats are everything. id say he's somewhere in between good and sharpshooter lol

Edited by SweatShop, November 08, 2013 - 07:22 PM.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#44 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,477 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:23 PM

Sigh...this is the last time I'll speak on this in this thread.  Kobe is great scorer, a volume shooter.  You just wrote a book attempting to argue with me but in the end agreed with me.  Do you understand the difference in a player that is a scorer vs one that is classified is a pure shooter?  Saying Kobe isn't a sharpshooter isn't saying he can't shoot.  Read my statements before posting.

hmm tell that to the coaches kobe plays against, kobe is a much better shooter than his stats would lead a geek to believe. his jacked up finger and willingness to shoot from anywhere on the court havent helped that stat though. The way he is defended also doesnt help but it does affirm his prowes. Dont recall seeing him dared to shoot in any playoff game against pop or any other coach. The guy has taken so many contested bail out shots when passed the ball at the last second. id say 34 is very good under the circumstances but stats usually mean very little to me when it comes to comparisons, too many variables.

and with that i am in no way saying he is a sharpshooter, just pointing out the flaws af a stat based argument. if anyone keeps a stat of uncontested shot percentage, that may be more interesting. a guy guarded like kobe or mj is not likely to have the same percentages as a guy camping on the 3 pt line.

some guys can shoot on the move and run to spots as well as take the stand still, another reason i dont thinks stats are everything. id say he's somewhere in between good and sharpshooter lol

Edited by Jody Smokes, November 08, 2013 - 07:23 PM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#45 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 725 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:39 PM

Kobe isn't a shooter but is constantly double teamed on the perimeter. Makes perfect sense

#46 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,490 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:42 PM

So you wouldn't take a prime Pau, Odom, Fisher and Bynum over Bosh and a gimpy D Wade and Ray Allen who is well past starter minute status?

Pau Odom Bynum weren't our roleplayers. maybe bynum a little

Edited by Ham, November 08, 2013 - 07:42 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#47 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Pau Odom Bynum weren't our roleplayers. maybe bynum a little

Bynum was prior to injury both of those years so it does count in a way.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#48 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Sigh...this is the last time I'll speak on this in this thread.  Kobe is great scorer, a volume shooter.  You just wrote a book attempting to argue with me but in the end agreed with me.  Do you understand the difference in a player that is a scorer vs one that is classified is a pure shooter?  Saying Kobe isn't a sharpshooter isn't saying he can't shoot.  Read my statements before posting.

drop the high horse act guy,and take your own damn advice lol. i wasnt attempting to argue with you on whether or not he is a sharpshooter, i merely was pointing out the flaws of that stat based argument and that he is a better shooter than his stats would lead you to believe. comprehend a damn comment before you reply to it. and no i didnt agree with you but im not surprised you took that too literally.

and technically , you did say he was not a shooter. maybe you should read your own words or edit them appropriately

Edited by SweatShop, November 08, 2013 - 07:58 PM.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#49 Renegade

Renegade

Rookie

• 549 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Being completely honest... if Dwight had stayed and we were able to make THESE signings with THIS team and THIS bench.    We probably would be way way way over .500 by the time Kobe came back and are a true championship contender WHEN he came back.  

But as I said before, Dwight didn't think Mitch could pull it off.  His mistake.

Had Dwight resign, we probably will be seeing him demanding 500 shots inside the post every game, gasol will be performing even crap than now and I doubt the bench will actually be this good.

#50 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,361 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:26 PM

Had Dwight resign, we probably will be seeing him demanding 500 shots inside the post every game, gasol will be performing even crap than now and I doubt the bench will actually be this good.

Disagree. 

It's not in Dwight's character to demand the ball. It's in his character to whine about him not getting touches to everyone else. 

Shaq and Charles Barkley were talking about this exact thing last night.  Dwight simply doesn't demand the ball like a dominant player should.  His body language is a big part of that. 

#51 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 725 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:39 PM

It just still amazes at how you can be in the league as long as Dwight and still not develop any post moves whatsoever. The rookie center for the thunder has better post moves than him. Just pathetic if you ask me, he simply relies in his athleticism which is already starting to decline.

#52 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:47 PM

:hmm: Not even

Role players not main stars. Odom, Bynum, Brown, Ariza, Vujacic, Farmer. That team could be our starters just by themselves. 

#53 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,079 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Dwight after tonight I don't think is the best big man in the game anymore.   Or at least he won't be by the time this season is over if Davis stays healthy and continues to progress.  Davis makes me think of Duncan with a longer reach and the ability to run the floor in sprint after blocking a shot, that's scary.

Edited by Majesty, November 08, 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#54 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,432 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Dwight after tonight I don't think is the best big man in the game anymore.   Or at least he won't be by the time this season is over if Davis stays healthy and continues to progress.  Davis makes me think of Duncan with a longer reach and the ability to run the floor in sprint after blocking a shot, that's scary.

Davis is going to be great if he can stay healthy. Fear the Brow!

#55 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,079 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 09:06 PM

I think Dwight really missed his ship, he ain't gonna be the best center in the league anymore after this season if Davis remains healthy.  Pau effectively stopped Dwight Howard last night, couldn't do a thing against Davis tonight.

Edited by Majesty, November 08, 2013 - 09:20 PM.

• 40,383 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 09:18 PM

To clarify I meant in general and not specifically from beyond the arc.

yo.

#57 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,477 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 09:32 PM

Well Davis is a PF and has a totally different game.  He's similar to a young KG.

I think Dwight really missed his ship, he ain't gonna be the best center in the league anymore after this season if Davis remains healthy.  Pau effectively stopped Dwight Howard last night, couldn't do a thing against Davis tonight.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#58 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,734 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 08, 2013 - 09:56 PM

So you wouldn't take a prime Pau, Odom, Fisher and Bynum over Bosh and a gimpy D Wade and Ray Allen who is well past starter minute status?

I knew you were a LeBron fan.

Wade was gimpy but he was also made an off ball player because the King has to have the ball in his hands. I think , muchh like Kobe, Wade would have put up 25,5 and 5 with some turnovers and such, even HURT, if Lebron wasn't there

Bosh was looked at as the best PF in the game, but LeBron relegates almost every player he plays with to a jump shooter or pick and roll. pick and pop finisher

Funny how you said Prime Pau

kobe transformed Pau from 18 and 8, which is how I view paul Millsap or a player like that, into a "Elite player". 

All Pau had to do was catch the ball( unlike Kwame) and hita a shot , get an offensive put back and once or twice a game, he posted someone  up and scored unassited. he did that well for two seasons.

LeBron had a GREAt wade, but he choked that Finals away.

Fisher-Chalmers

Kobe-LeBron

Ariza/Artest-Wade

Pau-Bosh

Odom-Haslem

Bynum-Birdman/Joel Anthony

Sasha/Shannon-Ray Allen/Mike Miller

farmar-Norris Cole

Just stop. gasol was never considered where Wade has been in this league and STILL considered Top 10

#59 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,477 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 09:58 PM

You got me.  Lebron is my fav player of all time and I'm an undercover Heat fan sent here to ruffle feathers....my cover is blown

Wade was gimpy but he was also made an off ball player because the King has to have the ball in his hands. I think , muchh like Kobe, Wade would have put up 25,5 and 5 with some turnovers and such, even HURT, if Lebron wasn't there

Bosh was looked at as the best PF in the game, but LeBron relegates almost every player he plays with to a jump shooter or pick and roll. pick and pop finisher

kobe transformed Pau from 18 and 8, which is how I view paul Millsap or a player like that, into a "Elite player". 

All Pau had to do was catch the ball( unlike Kwame) and hita a shot , get an offensive put back and once or twice a game, he posted someone  up and scored unassited. he did that well for two seasons.

Fisher-Chalmers

Kobe-LeBron

Ariza/Artest-Wade

Pau-Bosh

Odom-Haslem

farmar-Norris Cole

Just stop. gasol was never considered where Wade has been in this league and STILL considered Top 10

#60 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,432 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Fisher-Chalmers

Kobe-LeBron

Ariza/Artest-Wade

Pau-Bosh

Odom-Haslem

farmar-Norris Cole

Nobody said Pau was ever where Wade was. And way to undermine what Pau did in those years. Pau was the best PF in the league at that time. He was just as good a player before coming to the Lakers. But we're talking about role players. Ariza, Brown, Farmer, Sasha, Bynum were straight up dirty. Bosh has also NEVER been the best PF in the league. Maybe the fruitest but not the best. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users