lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,095 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 08, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Karreem said it best.

“Dwight Howard is a perfect example of the fact that ‘potential has a shelf life.’

The man could easily be the most dominant force in the league and arguably is the most athletic Center in the history of the NBA.  Too bad he isn't willing to learn from the best and can't seem to grasp the concept of constructive criticism.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#22 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,852 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 08, 2013 - 12:15 PM

I don't think its b/c he doesn't want to work.  I think the whole "he needs to get in the gym and practice" is BS.  Dwight is just is who he is.  He wants it to be one way but its the other way.  Dwight is known for having a great work ethic but all the practice in the world won't make him as great as an offensive player as The Dream.  Hell he's probably the only C that had that great of a skillset at his size. 

Kobe has one of the greatest work ethics but it still has never made him a sharpshooter like Nash.  Every player has his or her limits.  It's accepting those and working on the strengths that make the difference.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#23 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 619 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted November 08, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Watch the Phoenix suns series where Kobe slapped Alvin Gentry on the butt, if you want to see sharpshooting. Kobe put a clinic on how to beat zone defense.

#24 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,852 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 12:33 PM

Kobe is a great SCORER not SHOOTER.  There's a difference.  A sharpshooter is what Nash and Steph Curry are.

Watch the Phoenix suns series where Kobe slapped Alvin Gentry on the butt, if you want to see sharpshooting. Kobe put a clinic on how to beat zone defense.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#25 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

Rookie

• 386 posts
  • Name:Justin Timberlake fanboy
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 08, 2013 - 01:04 PM

Are we still calling them LeFake and Coward? LeBron led his team to back to back titles. He can sit at the table with Kobe now. The role players on the 2009 and 2010 teams were IMO much better than what the Heat have now. LeBron just makes them that good. Wade and Bosh sucked in the playoffs last year. I don't know how you can deny that. They showed up 2-3 games at most and were nowhere to be found on the rest. Stop letting your bias for everything Los Angeles cloud your judgement. 

#26 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 619 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 01:07 PM

Kobe is a great SCORER not SHOOTER. There's a difference. A sharpshooter is what Nash and Steph Curry are.

No matter how you slice it, when Kobe is healthy he can score from anywhere on the court in any fashion.

#27 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 5,397 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted November 08, 2013 - 01:14 PM

The role players on the 2009 and 2010 teams were IMO much better than what the Heat have now.

:hmm: Not even

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#28 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,105 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted November 08, 2013 - 01:14 PM

I use to shake my head when Shaq would pick on Dwight but he was always right. 

Dwight would be able to do much more & have more opportunities if he had stayed in LA, on & off the court. Him leaving just doesn't make sense. 

veqdeg.jpg

#29 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,439 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 08, 2013 - 03:00 PM

Being completely honest... if Dwight had stayed and we were able to make THESE signings with THIS team and THIS bench.    We probably would be way way way over .500 by the time Kobe came back and are a true championship contender WHEN he came back.  

But as I said before, Dwight didn't think Mitch could pull it off.  His mistake.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

• 38,821 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 03:46 PM

A sharpshooter is what Nash and Steph Curry are.

Fix Nash to used to be cause he isn't quite that anymore.

yo.

#31 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 2,909 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted November 08, 2013 - 04:45 PM

Being completely honest... if Dwight had stayed and we were able to make THESE signings with THIS team and THIS bench.    We probably would be way way way over .500 by the time Kobe came back and are a true championship contender WHEN he came back.  

But as I said before, Dwight didn't think Mitch could pull it off.  His mistake.

You are an eternal optimist, but lets get real, Mitch didn't pull off anything, he got a bunch of guys that nobody wanted, it isn't exactly difficult to get guys that nobody wants, nobody wants them.  The Lakers are a mediocre team.  They will probably end up about the same as they did last year, only bonus is, this year we aren't expecting to set the regular season record, run through the west and beat the Heat in the Finals like we were supposed to last year, most realistic fans aren't expecting a bad news bears turnaround where a bunch of guys play way way way above their expectations and we make a ton of noise, because realistically, that doesn't happen over a long long NBA season.  Dwight doesn't care about this roster, nor does anyone else, the Lakers are trying to make it through the season in one piece and looking to the future.  They are an entertaining team, they are underdogs, their bench is overperforming over a small sample size.  It is a fun team to watch and I am enjoying the season.  With that being said, be realistic.

#32 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 529 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Kup

Posted November 08, 2013 - 05:13 PM

agreed renegade, I would have never parted with bynum for d12 had he not been injury prone and a royal p.i.t.a.  they traded one pain for another but bynum sat out all season. for that reason, i didnt dislike the trade(and the hope that d12's issues would die in orlando) but i hate them not trying to give d12 a sign and trade to get something back for him. There were considerations to make in that regard of a s n t  but they were too worried about keeping him. even when it was obvious that he was the same( or worse) cancer he appeared to be in orlando.

They would likely have never won with him for so many reasons, salary being a huge factor. He is a cancerous diva that cant grasp the concept that there is no I in team. Its all about him until its time to say his TEAM shot terribly from the line when he is the sole reason for that. One would assume just from the looks he gives team mates that he cant accept any responsibility for anything.  He is still making the same stupid fouls he made as a rookie,the only difference is he seems to get away with more as a rocket. Though that may just be against the lakers as that was a horrendous job on the part of the officials, way too many wtf calls in houstons favor.

like you said , age. Dwight is an incredible athlete but a horrible basketball player. what happens when he loses a step or two? why hasnt his game progressed much in ten years? potential only last so long, it goes from wow that kid has potential to remember him, that guy had potential.

he may not side with kobe's mentality but you can never fault kobe on his work ethic or drive. dwight obviously works to stay in shape but has done nothing with the opportunities provided to better his game and his work etic in game is wavering. What the hell did he ever take from training with hakeem years ago? where was his desire to learn from KAJ as a laker? We all know where that went and Kareems opinion on that matter lol. Dwight hasnt learned to listen to anybody and at this stage probably never will.

Sure , he would have been some nice trade bait for any morey esque gm that likes to overpay for overrated talent but anyone thinking the lakers would win it all down the road with him being the center of the team are fooling themselves. he can be a very useful player(salary aside) obviously if he accepts his role and drops the attitude/ learns team concept but he is a product of todays nba where some stars have to be manufactured and because of that he thinks hes better than he is. Imo, he isnt the only manufactured overrated superstar on that team. Harden can make plays but without the reffs, travelling, ect, he is a good player at best. with his lack of d and they way games were called, he would be a role player in the 80's-90's era. though not to the same extent, lin.  I dont need to say much about him and the irony of his time in houston lol.

With that said, cant blame dwight for wanting out at this point in time considering his age but his decision will likely haunt him and fortunately not the lakers. He should have pushed to go to golden state imo, they actually defend the perimeter and curry is a legit star player. I'm going to enjoy the new dwight show, unfortunately I suspect we will be hearing about houston offering up asik in the near future.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#33 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,852 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 05:35 PM

Dude wtf does Kobe have to do with anything? Get off his scrotum for a second and stick to the subject.  Everyone knows Kobe can score anywhere. 

No matter how you slice it, when Kobe is healthy he can score from anywhere on the court in any fashion.

#34 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,852 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 05:37 PM

So you wouldn't take a prime Pau, Odom, Fisher and Bynum over Bosh and a gimpy D Wade and Ray Allen who is well past starter minute status?

:hmm: Not even

#35 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 619 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Dude wtf does Kobe have to do with anything? Get off his scrotum for a second and stick to the subject. Everyone knows Kobe can score anywhere.

You saying he is just a scorer is stupid. He can shoot with the best of them when he's healthy, and not shooting with a jacked up hand or bad knee. I'll get off Kobe's "scrotum", as you put it, when you and your other ego Harry get off Bron's.

#36 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,852 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:18 PM

I never said Kobe was JUST a scorer.  You should read, it may save your life one day.  Kobe is a 34% 3 pt shooter for his career.  That is not sharpshooter status.  And what does Harry and Lebron have to do with anything?

You saying he is just a scorer is stupid. He can shoot with the best of them when he's healthy, and not shooting with a jacked up hand or bad knee. I'll get off Kobe's "scrotum", as you put it, when you and your other ego Harry get off Bron's.

#37 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 619 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:27 PM

I never said Kobe was JUST a scorer. You should read, it may save your life one day. Kobe is a 34% 3 pt shooter for his career. That is not sharpshooter status. And what does Harry and Lebron have to do with anything?

I consider Kobe a great SHOOTER, he always plays through injuries so his percentages aren't as good as they could be. I've been watching for awhile and his shot selection could be better, but that's what happens when u have people Named smush on Ur team.

Edited by LakersAllDay77, November 08, 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#38 J2theR_LAL

J2theR_LAL

Rookie

• 285 posts
  • Name:Ismael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq.

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:31 PM

Kobe had to work to become a shooter, He was a scorer first. (Think back to his rookie year)  In the present day it doesn't matter because his game has minimal flaws, and he shoots more than he drives now, I really miss watching him play hope he is back to atleast 90% of what we are accustomed to seeing from him. 

#39 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,920 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Fix Nash to used to be cause he isn't quite that anymore.

Still shooting 45% from beyond the arc.

#40 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,852 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:40 PM

You are still missing my point.  He isn't a sharpshooter.  He isn't in that class of shooters. (Nash, Ray, Novak, Steph) Kobe has a great midrange game but he isn't a shooter.  You can rationalize 34% from 3 all you want.  It's not a knock on him b/c he's not a sharpshooter.  Most players aren't and most sharpshooters aren't great scorers either. 

I consider Kobe a great SHOOTER, he always plays through injuries so his percentages aren't as good as they could be. I've been watching for awhile and his shot selection could be better, but that's what happens when u have people Named smush on Ur team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users