80 replies to this topic

#1 Renegade

Renegade

Rookie

• 549 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 08, 2013 - 05:15 AM

Dwight Howard would never bring us a championship even if he resigned with us then. Disinterested defense, lackluster rebounding at times, rudimentary post game and garbage ft shooting, zero leadership ( see how he shouted at Lin), team chemistry cancer,( Lin and Asik are gonna be gone due to him) Last and most importantly he is a 28 FREAKING YEAR OLD WITH ALREADY TEN YEARS UNDER HIS BELT... PAUSE AND THINK ABOUT THAT. Had the chance to work with Kareem magic and even Hakeem but yet he still not a offensive presence. How many good years does he still have? Even if he resigned I highly doubt we will win this year due to all the locker room [expletive] he brings. At least now we can start our rebuilding and actually take our time to find a player that can play alongside kobe and slowly take away responsibility from him until the day he retires.:(

I admit I once felt that it was doomsday when Dh bolted, in the sense that it will make it even harder for kobe to get his sixth. But now I actually truly feel relieved that howard departure is in fact a blessing in disguise.

#2 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 08, 2013 - 05:35 AM

It was never going to be HIS job to bring a championship.  You need a true core to win the Finals.  Imagine Dwight with Melo or even crazier Lebron.  It wasn't like the Lakers were just going to crown him the king of LA and bring a bunch of role players for him.  Not even Jim is that stupid. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#3 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:10 AM

One of the main reasons why having Dwight was important is b/c he's an asset.  If he doesnt work out and is still good you can trade him for good pieces.  Problem is now, we have 0 assets going forward.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#4 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,391 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:18 AM

I said everything thats in the op before he signed with us.

#5 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,750 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:18 AM

I thought the trade was a good idea at the time.  Interestingly, the reaction from the Magic fans was spot on.  They were pretty much thrilled so see him go and get some assets in return.  And it is clear, a year later, why.

Orlando flipped Dwight into young talent and draft picks, chose well (for the most part), hired a good young coach and gm.  Have you watched them play this year?  They are not quite ready for prime time, but they are no joke any more, just ask the Heat and Nets.

They are looking like the Thunder in the early Durant/ Westbrook/ Harden years.

After figuring out what Orlando did regarding Dwight, what do we have to show for it?  Zilch.

Next, Houston.  When (not if) the honeymoon ends, the Houston fans will grow tired of this as well.  Lotsa sizzle, very small steak.

#6 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,750 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:19 AM

I said everything thats in the op before he signed with us.

You did, I remember that.  A lone voice in the wilderness.

#7 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 749 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:00 AM

Dwight Howard would never bring us a championship even if he resigned with us then. Disinterested defense, lackluster rebounding at times, rudimentary post game and garbage ft shooting, zero leadership ( see how he shouted at Lin), team chemistry cancer,( Lin and Asik are gonna be gone due to him) Last and most importantly he is a 28 FREAKING YEAR OLD WITH ALREADY TEN YEARS UNDER HIS BELT... PAUSE AND THINK ABOUT THAT. Had the chance to work with Kareem magic and even Hakeem but yet he still not a offensive presence. How many good years does he still have? Even if he resigned I highly doubt we will win this year due to all the locker room [expletive] he brings. At least now we can start our rebuilding and actually take our time to find a player that can play alongside kobe and slowly take away responsibility from him until the day he retires.:(

I admit I once felt that it was doomsday when Dh bolted, in the sense that it will make it even harder for kobe to get his sixth. But now I actually truly feel relieved that howard departure is in fact a blessing in disguise.

Agree completely and am also glad he bolted, he looked pathetic yesterday

#8 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,732 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:03 AM

I totally agree. I'm so glad he left the Lakers. This is no place for losers and overrated players with no passion for the game of basketball.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#9 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:30 AM

If u LOVE Kobe, u probably have HIGH standardss for your athletes.

Dwight is no Kobe, and frankly neither is Lebron

so when u see guys who have all the God given talent but lack that killer instinct, it's as if they don't have the talent at all

#10 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:47 AM

Not sure why Lebron belongs in that conversation.  Didn't he just lead his team to back2back Finals wins?  You'd be better off changing out Lebron for Melo

so when u see guys who have all the God given talent but lack that killer instinct, it's as if they don't have the talent at all

Edited by Jody Smokes, November 08, 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#11 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,919 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:56 AM

I'm still not convinced that Lakers management really wanted him to stay.  I look forward to reading the real post mortem, when somebody writes a book.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#12 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,187 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:58 AM

I'm still not convinced that Lakers management really wanted him to stay.  I look forward to reading the real post mortem, when somebody writes a book.

I think they were pretty aware that he is not the cornerstone to a championship team and that rebuilding is a better option than attempting to build around something that is very far away from a sure shot.

#13 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:00 AM

Not sure why Lebron belongs in that conversation.  Didn't he just lead his team to back2back Finals wins?  You'd be better off changing out Lebron for Melo

Athletic specimens

and Yes LeBron led two perennial all-Stars and some of the best role players of his era, to 2 straight Finals, and if u think THAt makes him like Kobe, then u don't get it

#14 apex

apex

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • Name:Bill
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:22 AM

Athletic specimens

and Yes LeBron led two perennial all-Stars and some of the best role players of his era, to 2 straight Finals, and if u think THAt makes him like Kobe, then u don't get it

I agree, as well Im sure most nba players (paul pierce especially). Lefake is nowhere near the discussion of MJ and Kobe because he doesn't have the ice cold killer in him. Even if he did, he doesn't have the skill set to execute, he has no game other then hitting wide open shots, and driving with his forearm pushing people outta the way to get easy buckets. I have zero respect for lefake, compare the 2 championship teams Kobe lead with compared to brons team. The heat are the most stacked team in the nba by far!! After shaq left, Kobe has never really had that good of a team to play with and showed the world what a true champion looks like!!

#15 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,306 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:32 AM

He has potential to be an all-time great, but I'm affraid he has the "losers mentality" ..

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#16 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:35 AM

I think they did but just weren't willing to let him dictate the direction of the franchise.  Which no player should.  They could have amnestied Kobe and sought out the coach of his choice but they didn't.  In the end I think it was bad timing for everything.  Contract year, Kobe's older and impatient and Dwight just having options and not willing to buy in to what the Lakers were doing. 

On one hand I can see that he was a bit of a chump but on the other hand when you look at the tangible facts Houston was a better option for him, or any free agent for that matter and then he doesn't have to satisfy spoiled fans.

#17 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:48 AM

My sense of thinking, depending on who you admire, you tend to keep those same expectations for those who follow. D12 was never going to get a free pass as a Laker, unlike his easy going nature in Houston. As a fan of the sport, it is somewhat aggravating, similar to early preconceptions of Lebron his later moments in Cleveland, you kept waiting for him to turn it on. Only until he changed his mindset did he win along players who were serious about it too, and now Lebron is more laid back but because he has won he has that luxury.

#18 KingofKings2525

KingofKings2525

Rookie

• 34 posts
  • Fan Since:The day I was born.

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Maybe not but he would have attracted other stars to come play for us.

If took a year but we finally won a game due to Dwight Howards free throw shooting last night :)

#19 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,433 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 09:07 AM

I'm not glad he left the Lakers because like Jody said, we lost a VERY tradable asset. I agree, and did agree that he cannot be your center piece to win a championship but he can have a role on a championship team.

#20 PurPnYellowLaker

PurPnYellowLaker

Rookie

• 463 posts
  • Name:alejandro
  • Fan Since:platon
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted November 08, 2013 - 09:09 AM

Id take de andre jordan over coward

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users