I'm trying to find positives going forward, but I can't.
MDA, probably having to give up high draft picks the next few years unless the Lakers continue to be really terrible, and Kobe's contract make the Lakers a terrible situation. The Lakers will be bad and won't be able to do much about it for awhile.
I'll give you 10 positives to hang your hat on:
1. MDA is probably not going to be our coach for more than one more season.
2. No matter what, i think we'll get a high draft pick and even if we land with the 8th pick, there are potential all-stars to be had.
3. We have a few good young guys that could be cheap pieces going forward - Bazemore, Marshall, Johnson etc.
4. Los Angeles is a destination city and our front office is highly regarded among players and coaches. People shouldn't underestimate that. Of course, it doesn't guarantee anything, but if Kevin Love want's to leave Minnesota, it would be to go to a team like the Lakers. He's not [expletive]ing leaving Minny to play on a talented Philly team, that's for sure.
5. As bad of a deal Kobe was given, seen from a payroll perspective, we'll still be able to go after a second-tier player in 2014, a max player in 2015 and another max in 2016. Theoretically, in 2016 we could put Bledsoe, Kobe, Durant, Love and Embiid on the floor...
6. Next season Kobe will come back with a vengeance and we'll aim for the playoffs with a young team with a talented rookie.
7. MDA is probably not going to be our coach for more than one more season - had to mention it again.
8. MDA is probably not going to be our coach for more than one more season - and again.
9. MDA is probably not going to be our coach for more than one more season - and again.
10. Finally, how much worse can it get? I think from here on out, things can only improve.