Photo

Official NBA Draft Discussion (Lakers - # 7 pick)

official draft

• Please log in to reply
14522 replies to this topic

#61 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,990 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 07, 2013 - 07:31 PM

Tim Hardaway Jr is a rookie that has a future something that at 39 Nash does not. I can bet everything this is Nash's last year in a Laker uni if not the NBA.  If THJr turns out to be a solid player then what?  The problem is Lakers have 0 assets going forward.  This means we can't execute good trades, have to hope some star wants to come here before Kobe retires (thats if he's even an elite offensive player ever again). 

I think guys want to be right so bad they don't even understand that team building means collecting assets.  Nash is a toxic asset.  Untradeable, overpaid and old.  Young players have the potential to be traded or developed into good assets and if they aren't good can be gotten rid of for little to nothing. 

if THJr becomes a solid player then it still will remain to be seen if he's better than Blake or Farmar.  Because if he's not better than Blake or Farmar than our starting point guard and backup(shall Nash retire) would be better than him.  So what's your point again? ;)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#62 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,454 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 07, 2013 - 07:33 PM

Nevermind Majesty lets just enjoy the Houston game.  You obviously can't comprehend a thing I'm saying. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#63 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,990 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 07, 2013 - 11:31 PM

Nevermind Majesty lets just enjoy the Houston game.  You obviously can't comprehend a thing I'm saying. 

yeah let's enjoy those 54 points by that bench you say we don't have :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#64 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,329 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 07, 2013 - 11:36 PM

yeah let's enjoy those 54 points by that bench you say we don't have :)

The problem isn't our bench - it's the fact that we ONLY have a bench.

#65 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,079 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted November 08, 2013 - 01:52 AM

Tanking is stupid.

ap1.png

#66 The Bagwan

The Bagwan

Rookie

• 33 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 03:27 AM

TANK THE SEASON :no: What a :turrible: idea, let's let the team play up to their full potential, and then we will see who stays and who goes! I think Mike Dang Phoney the :o) , must go, the Ballet Dancer, has shown some signs of life, #GET SOME HAND GRIPS!, AND HIT THE WEIGHT ROOM, work on your hands & upper body! no one should knock the ball from your hands!!!

Nick Young, please pick five spots on the floor, and practice hitting your jump shot until you've got it right, you're missing too many open shots.

Westly Johnson is a keeper, tenacious D, rebounding and offensive putbacks. I'm watching a team with potential, but our defense is atrocious, GRIND GENTLEMEN! We need tenacious D from everyone on the floor, at all times, talk to each other, call your switches.

Questions for this team:

1. Doesn't it upset you that people around the league, have written you off?

2. You're not getting NBA respect?

3. You're thought of as one year placeholders?

4. Nothing is really expected of you?

Answer I know that it does, and you can do something about it, BE THE BEST THAT YOU CAN BE, PLAY AS A TEAM, AND GUESS WHAT, AT THE END OF THE YEAR, YOU JUST MIGHT SURPRISE SOMEONE! Tank, Hell No!!!!

The Bagwan, Out!

#67 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,329 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 08, 2013 - 03:46 AM

Tanking is stupid.

Actually, the most intelligent move (post-Dwight), would have been to 1. amnesty Kobe and let him chase his 6th on a vet minimum deal in Indiana or Chicago. 2. have a fire-sale, where you collect as many picks as possible. 3. bottom out for the best draft in 10 years. 4. go into the off-season in 2014 with 62 million in capspace a top 3 pick and perhaps 1-2 additional first-rounders from fire-sale trades.  

I'm glad we didn't, since i'd like to see Kobe get his rings in LA as well as finish his career here, but that would have been the most intelligent, and perhaps the quickest, way to rebuild.

Oh, and 5. Fire MDA.

#68 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted November 08, 2013 - 05:24 AM

And as many have noted, we can easily miss the play-offs without trying to tank.   We can't play defense and Nash/Pau are guaranteed to miss time. 

I've noted that as well.

We're coached by one of the worst coaches in all of professional sports and Pau Gasol is still on this team.

Tanking is just a disgrace to professional sports. I wish there was some sort of penalty that stripped teams of championships if they tank. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#69 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,715 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 08, 2013 - 06:52 AM

Tim Hardaway has a future.

So what? We don't need or want him over Farmar.

Nash is teaching Farmar, Blake hoe to be an actual point guard.

Your point has no real world consequences except that we aren't elite and somehow u wanna correlate that.

I know fans love the IDEA of a bunch of young guys who turn into Klay and Steph or OKC's old line up.

Move on.

Nash is still helping us. And when we signed him he was the best available move, we had NO point guard but Blake. we would have not made the playoffs last year without Nash

#70 The Bagwan

The Bagwan

Rookie

• 33 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Farmar isn't the Farmar that left here :clap2: , he's much more secure in his own skin, and being coached by an all star point guard like Nash, can only make him and Blake better.

I already see a change in Blake, :rock:  he's willing to take the last shot, that's the influence of Kobe & Nash.

The Ballet Dancer is a differnt story,  :dance:  and it's sad to see. I'm a musician, and no matter how old I get, I still practce my scales and chords, trying to get better, it seems that Pau is satisfied with his game, and that's a shame. He could certainly improve his post moves and rebounding positioning, and how about raising your arms and closing out on shooters? I watched in disgust  :wall:  as he stood arms at his sides, and allowed shooter after shooter pull up and hit uncontested shots.  :yikes:  The blocks that he makes, are far from consistent, sometimes he doesn't even try :coffee: . He gets rebounds, but how many contested rebounds does he make? How many people go down when he powers up  :hysterical:  for a rebound?

#71 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,715 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 08, 2013 - 08:05 AM

Everyone who wants to TANk, always notes OKC or the Warriors, buit how long was that ssonics franchise bad before Durant popped up. Warriors have been mediocre at best for ever

Orlando seems about 30 years away from a title.

How in the [expletive] is tanking best?

And giving up Kobe?

What does that do? Save u money for this season only in regards to luxury tax, and piss of Kobe and a fanbase, you will lose that money in advertisement and ticket sales.

thats when I know people play too many video games

Think before you say something so  obviously unproven.

Heat "tanked" for Beasley, ultimately, you aren't going to draft a player ready to wwin.

You let some punk team like OKC draft, and then u let the fruit ripe in OKC or Indy or one of these [expletive]ty cities and then you go and get FAs.

Shaq, Kareem etc

But first you have to see who is the alpha of the league.

1996, some may have thought Iverson or Ray Allen or nash before Kobe.

Anyway, im done

#72 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,454 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 09:27 AM

Giving up on Kobe? How? No one is holding Kobe hostage to playing in LA.  There are options to win if he chooses.  At the moment there isn't a viable option outside of Lebron that we could pair with a 35 year old Kobe that can bring in a championship.  So therefore like any business or organization you take a step back and make the proper changes to have success for the future. 

Kobe, legend or not is just a player.  They come and go.  If they mortgage anymore of the future with him as the centerpiece then we are just prolonging the agony.  Kobe can be a part of the near future but with whom? Pau lol? MDA as coach? Melo as his sidekick or him as Melo's sidekick? 4 years later we have then not won a championship, Kobe probably retires a year or 2 into Melo being there and he's eating up 1/3 of our salary cap at the age of 32-33. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#73 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,454 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 09:29 AM

I love Kobe but I'm not down to please his ego by overpaying guys like Melo to go lose in the 2nd round against sound teams.  Building a championship team takes time and a lot of luck.  Time is something Kobe does not have.

#74 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted November 08, 2013 - 09:46 AM

Put a big banner outside Staples that reads "Give Your Money: We Play To Lose"

Pau Gasol is GONE

#75 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 08, 2013 - 10:47 AM

People misread what it would take for the Lakers to tank.

Is Pau part of our future?   If not, he can be traded this year for something, and use that as a piece going forward.

Is Nash part of our future?  If not, try and trade him for something of value that we can use going forward.

When will Kobe return?  If it's soon, then we all realize that the tanking discussion ends right there.  At least until we see what he can produce and provided he has no setbacks (compensating injuries, etc.). 

If it takes awhile, then you look back at the first two guys mentioned and see what you might be able to acquire for him.

It isn't about not playing hard.   But realize, the team you see on the court for LA this year, is not the future.  Most, if not all of these starters will be long gone by the time the Lakers sniff another championship.  With that in mind, what are you really building for with those guys?

The Lakers future is built around this year's 1st rounder (or whoever we trade the pick for), whomever we acquire via free agency in 2014, and Kobe.  A couple of these guys (Farmar, Henry, HIll) may be around for a while and that's great.  But, one bad season in a Lakers jersey is not going to taint those guys to the degree that they won't be able to be capable contributors on a championship-caliber team in 2-3 years.

The 2005 Lakers were terrible.  But even a couple of the scrubs on that team (Vujacic and Walton), made key contributions to future championship teams in LA.

Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo were the two best players on the worst team in the NBA in 2007.  In 2008, they were hoisting the Larry O'Brien trophy.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#76 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,079 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted November 08, 2013 - 11:28 AM

If a team is intentionally losing then they get to lose lots of money.. if they are rebuilding.. that's a different story

ap1.png

#77 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,454 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 12:39 PM

How do you prove a team is intentionally losing?  If LA only wins about 35 games this year you think they tanked or were they just not good enough? 

Do you think the Bobcats have been tanking? Or do they just suck and have bad management?  No one is endorsing losing games on purpose but guys looking to the future aren't endorsing just pay anyone to come play with Kobe and let him be the centerpiece while other teams in the NBA are constantly making moves to get better for the long haul. 

Kobe is probably never going to be 37MPG 29PPG Kobe again nor should he be.  If he's putting out that type of energy then the team isn't going anywhere.

If a team is intentionally losing then they get to lose lots of money.. if they are rebuilding.. that's a different story

• 40,373 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 03:16 PM

TANK THE SEASON :no: What a :turrible: idea, let's let the team play up to their full potential, and then we will see who stays and who goes! I think Mike Dang Phoney the :o) , must go, the Ballet Dancer, has shown some signs of life, #GET SOME HAND GRIPS!, AND HIT THE WEIGHT ROOM, work on your hands & upper body! no one should knock the ball from your hands!!!

Nick Young, please pick five spots on the floor, and practice hitting your jump shot until you've got it right, you're missing too many open shots.

Westly Johnson is a keeper, tenacious D, rebounding and offensive putbacks. I'm watching a team with potential, but our defense is atrocious, GRIND GENTLEMEN! We need tenacious D from everyone on the floor, at all times, talk to each other, call your switches.

Questions for this team:

1. Doesn't it upset you that people around the league, have written you off?

2. You're not getting NBA respect?

3. You're thought of as one year placeholders?

4. Nothing is really expected of you?

Answer I know that it does, and you can do something about it, BE THE BEST THAT YOU CAN BE, PLAY AS A TEAM, AND GUESS WHAT, AT THE END OF THE YEAR, YOU JUST MIGHT SURPRISE SOMEONE! Tank, Hell No!!!!

The Bagwan, Out!

Love the passion.

I already see a change in Blake, :rock:  he's willing to take the last shot, that's the influence of Kobe & Nash.

He's always been willing to take late-game shots. He did it a lot for Portland as well, if not more.

yo.

• 40,373 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 08:29 PM

If Kobe doesn't return anytime soon, then we may very well be in the sweepstakes. Utah will be a problem though.

yo.

#80 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,485 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted November 10, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Let's hope Utah goes on a run  :laughing: .

We aren't tanking. We just suck

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: official, draft

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (2), Bing (1)