16 replies to this topic

#1 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,006 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 04, 2013 - 04:53 AM

Currently, some teams are really outperforming their expectations, while others aren’t and in a season where ending up with the worst record can be a good thing, given the strength of next year’s draft, I think this opens up a lot of opportunities.

For instance, the Sixers were projected to be among the worst teams, but they are playing really well due to Michael Carter-Williams and the improvement of Spencer Hawes and Evan Turner, so they may not end up with that top pick they’re hoping for. Like this article on truehoop (http://espn.go.com/b...nge-sixers-plan) says, they may actually start dealing some of their guys, such as Spencer Hawes, Evan Turner and Thad Young, so that they can get that top pick to pair with Noel and MCW.

Then there are the Wizards who had hoped to be able to make the playoffs, but haven’t been looking good so far. If this continues, I could see them making a desperate move to try and improve or go the other way and make moves to try and aim for the draft. This could make some of their guys available – if they’re aiming for the bottom I could see them moving all players except for Wall and Beal.  

You also have a team like the Celtics that obviously are rebuilding and gunning for the draft, but have many guys on long deals that they wish to get rid of. I think all players are available, if it means shortening their rebuilding period.

I’m not saying we should expect a Steve Blake for Rondo or Wall deal anytime soon, but in a season where nobody wants to be mediocre, I could see the Lakers pulling a Kwame-for-Pau-esque trade out of their hat during the season from a team making a push either for the draft or the playoffs.

Is this crazy talk?

#2 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,833 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 04, 2013 - 05:06 AM

None of those guys are players the Lakers would want to touch considering the cap room they want to keep.  Evan Turner especially, he's going to be a restricted FA so that means you either extend him outright or get into a bidding war with teams in the offseason.  Evan Turner just isn't worth it to me. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#3 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,736 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:17 AM

Maybe do business with the Raptors. Word is that the Raps are willing to trade anyone but Jonas Valanciunas.

#4 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 981 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted November 04, 2013 - 08:46 AM

There is no need to make a trade. We're doing fine.

#5 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,354 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:10 AM

Lakers don't really want anyone with contracts beyond this year, we only have two guys Harris and Sacre (I think) that are signed beyond this season.

EyMlHkX.jpg

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 04, 2013 - 11:36 AM

Lakers don't really want anyone with contracts beyond this year, we only have two guys Harris and Sacre (I think) that are signed beyond this season.

If it's a quality piece, they'll take a contract that goes past this season.

#7 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,354 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 12:01 PM

If it's a quality piece, they'll take a contract that goes past this season.

Well yeah of course but I doubt we pick anyone up.

EyMlHkX.jpg

#8 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 04, 2013 - 01:21 PM

Well yeah of course but I doubt we pick anyone up.

We'll see. I wouldn't close the book on that especially with free agency most likely not being a slam dunk this upcoming offseason

#9 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,564 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 04, 2013 - 02:43 PM

Nick Young has like a 1.35 player option and Nash has 9 million as well next year

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#10 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Nick Young has like a 1.35 player option and Nash has 9 million as well next year

1.35 is nothing. he 9 on the other hand is my only worry. Im hoping he retires but leaving 9 mill on the table is a tough decision. 

#11 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,354 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 08:51 PM

I forgot about Nash at the time of the post and yeah I knew about Nick's option.

EyMlHkX.jpg

#12 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,006 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 04:40 AM

Who the hell knows what’ll happen. All I know is that when you have some teams desperately trying to make the playoffs and others gunning for the draft, it should be possible to make a trade that under normal circumstances wouldn’t happen.

For instance, take a team like the Nuggets who’s been horrible so far. If they keep up the bad work, I could see them trading Gallo or Chandler. Same with the Bucks – if they keep playing like [expletive], I could see them trying to unload Caron Butler or Mayo or perhaps even Ilyasova (who’d be the perfect 4 in a MDA system btw).

#13 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,979 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 05, 2013 - 09:19 AM

Mitch has said that having cap room doesn't have to be a signing, but also could mean taking on contracts from another team. So taking a trade in the off season wouldn't be a bad idea, IF it is a nice quality player.
#WaiveWes

ezk2ds.jpg

#14 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 02:12 PM

If the Lakers can trade for a long contract that helps them long-term, they will do it.  If the Lakers can build a contender thru trades, they will do it.

If the Lakers can trade Pau and Nash to get younger and possibly land an Allstar this summer, they will do it.

Don't believe for a second that the Lakers have given up on this season.  They are planning for a worst case scenario.  It's a plan that moves on from Kobe.  But if they can put together a team to win WITH Kobe right now, that's probably their first choice.

I'm glad some of you have realized that the NBA has evolved into an UPTEMPO, FASTbreak league that not only makes money off inflated scoring but can win CHAMPIONSHIPS with this model.

That's why Dr. Buss wanted MDA...

That's why I wanted MDA or Adelman...

That's the difference from last year to this year for the Lakers.

Add in a player like LeMarcus Aldridge for Pau and Kyle Lowry for Nash and we literally have one the best and deepest teams in the NBA.  Will that happen?  Doubtful.  Is it the direction we should go in?  Without a doubt.

#15 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,116 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 05, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Honestly... the Celtics could be a trade partner to be honest. 

Would you take Avery Bradley and Marshon Brooks off their hands?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#16 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted November 05, 2013 - 05:17 PM

You still don't win rings without a consistent offensive and defensive presence in the paint and rebounding.

This "system" will not win a ring.

Young teams need structure, this system may make some players look good because any free-wheeling street ball type of game plan will snag a win here and there. However, in the end you don't win without methodical play in the paint, defensive discipline and offensive structure.

None if which D'Antoni offers or even knows.

No team will trade a key piece that will help the Lakers win again right now. The Lakers are and have been hellbent on cap space this summer. It's been the aim for the past 3 seasons.

This is the Laker team, like it or not. There may be a random free agent signed mid-season but unless it's a salary dump for nothing, there won't be a major trade this year.

#17 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,006 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 04:36 AM

Honestly... the Celtics could be a trade partner to be honest. 

Would you take Avery Bradley and Marshon Brooks off their hands?

True. Last season i think we should have made a few trades as well.

If the Lakers can trade for a long contract that helps them long-term, they will do it.  If the Lakers can build a contender thru trades, they will do it.

If the Lakers can trade Pau and Nash to get younger and possibly land an Allstar this summer, they will do it.

Don't believe for a second that the Lakers have given up on this season.  They are planning for a worst case scenario.  It's a plan that moves on from Kobe.  But if they can put together a team to win WITH Kobe right now, that's probably their first choice.

I'm glad some of you have realized that the NBA has evolved into an UPTEMPO, FASTbreak league that not only makes money off inflated scoring but can win CHAMPIONSHIPS with this model.

That's why Dr. Buss wanted MDA...

That's why I wanted MDA or Adelman...

That's the difference from last year to this year for the Lakers.

Add in a player like LeMarcus Aldridge for Pau and Kyle Lowry for Nash and we literally have one the best and deepest teams in the NBA.  Will that happen?  Doubtful.  Is it the direction we should go in?  Without a doubt.

Disagree.

The idea that the league have evolved into an uptempo fastbreak league is overblown. All successful teams these past couple of seasons, except for Miami, have at least one dominant post presence and all teams who won championships these past ten years, except Miami, have had a post presence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users