Photo

Lakers re-sign Nick Young to 4 year / $5.3M deal; Kobe already starting back mentoring him(p. 32)

• Please log in to reply
779 replies to this topic

#761 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,875 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 11, 2014 - 04:59 PM

Really would have liked Sessions off the bench

But the more I think about it.

If Clarkson can be similar to Norris Cole, we'll be okay in that department

But when you think of the veteran ..solid playoff play of Kobe and Boozer

Then a guy like Lin, who in my opinion fits into that mode

Then you have Nick Young as " the fourth guy" Can he separate himself from Wes and Xavier even Randle ( the young bull)

If Kobe can still bring it. And Boozer is a glue guy/steady contributor. And Lin is a dynamic spark. And Nick comes in as the leader of a really athletic bunch of bench players

Clarkson?Lin?Nash

Nick

Xavier

Randle/Kelly

Davis?Sacre?Hill

#762 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,916 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted August 11, 2014 - 05:23 PM

Nick putting in the work

Damn, yo.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#763 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,122 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 11, 2014 - 10:25 PM

Damn, yo.

#LETSWAGDUNK 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#764 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,122 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 03:52 AM

@NickSwagyPYoung put that work in on the off season 1f44c.png1f3c0.png

BusvnK1CMAALEg7.jpg

Busvo33CMAEddz0.jpg

Edited by Majesty, August 12, 2014 - 03:53 AM.

#765 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,161 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted August 12, 2014 - 05:58 AM

Always hated running on the beach near water...that weird incline always messed up my ankles

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#766 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,122 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 12:04 AM

Nick Young, Kobe Bryant working out this summer together

After taking over the reigns as Lakers leader last season, Nick Young knows he’ll have to relinquish some of the scoring – and spotlight – to Kobe Bryant this year. With both at full strength this year, the Lakers could have a very exciting duo at their hands. Even more cause for excitement is what Nick Young revealed in an interview with Lakers Nation.

Nick Young also said he’s been working out with Kobe: “He’s just been in Mamba mode, working out everyday and just been showing that.”

Serena Winters

Lakers fans should be very excited.

This duo will provide a large chunk of the Lakers scoring and offense, whether both of them are on the court or solo. In fact, there will likely be very little times when neither Bryant nor Young are on the floor for the Lakers.

It’s also refreshing to see someone of Young’s talent committed to getting better. After being criticized as a shot-chucker and bad teammate, he proved everyone wrong last season. This year, he’ll certainly be out to prove he and Bryant can co-exist.

http://lakeshowlife....ummer-together/

But Kobe doesn't.. eh you know what I'm gonna say ;)

Edited by Majesty, August 15, 2014 - 12:05 AM.

#767 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,382 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 15, 2014 - 09:17 AM

I'm surprised people are still referring to Young simply as a "shot-chucker." 

This dude plays with heart. He may be smiling and dancing around a bit too much off-court, but he's going to exert his absolute best effort during the games. He embraced the 6th-man role and wanted to win 6th man of the year. He committed to actually trying on defense by drawing charges and playing the passing lanes. which was surprising since MDA has never heard of the word "defense." He took a pay cut to sign with the Lakers. Finally, he's referred to himself as "Robin" to Kobe (Batman). 

I understand he's 29 years old and perhaps not the best piece moving forward. But with his igniting offense, willingness to accept a smaller role, and positive chemistry...I love that he's still part of the Lakers. 

#768 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,778 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 15, 2014 - 09:54 AM

My problem with Young is that he's an extremely average iso player but likes to Iso too often.  His strength is in spot up shooting and should probably be used off screens as well.  MDA got the best out of him.  As long as he does more of the latter he's fine.  He's referred to as a shot chucker b/c that's what he does.  There really isn't anything Young does well on the court outside of shooting.  That's not a bad thing, thats just what he is.  It's just like calling Kobe a ball hog.  He's a top scorer that utilizes a lot of possessions.  Nothing bad unless you look at it wrong. 

I'm surprised people are still referring to Young simply as a "shot-chucker." 

This dude plays with heart. He may be smiling and dancing around a bit too much off-court, but he's going to exert his absolute best effort during the games. He embraced the 6th-man role and wanted to win 6th man of the year. He committed to actually trying on defense by drawing charges and playing the passing lanes. which was surprising since MDA has never heard of the word "defense." He took a pay cut to sign with the Lakers. Finally, he's referred to himself as "Robin" to Kobe (Batman). 

I understand he's 29 years old and perhaps not the best piece moving forward. But with his igniting offense, willingness to accept a smaller role, and positive chemistry...I love that he's still part of the Lakers. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#769 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,122 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 11:08 AM

Well the latter is what he'd be required to do in the Princeton and Triangle so you may see him used as a spot up shooter or off screens more often.  So that's a good thing. 

#770 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,382 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 12:11 PM

My problem with Young is that he's an extremely average iso player but likes to Iso too often.  His strength is in spot up shooting and should probably be used off screens as well.  MDA got the best out of him.  As long as he does more of the latter he's fine.  He's referred to as a shot chucker b/c that's what he does.  There really isn't anything Young does well on the court outside of shooting.  That's not a bad thing, thats just what he is.  It's just like calling Kobe a ball hog.  He's a top scorer that utilizes a lot of possessions.  Nothing bad unless you look at it wrong. 

Young's stats were almost identical to what he averaged in prior seasons, except playing lesser minutes. Stating "MDA got the best out of him" and that "Young likes to iso too often" is counterintuitive. If MDA truly got the best out of him, he would have maximized Young's role as a spot-up shooter, and his FG% would have been higher instead of similar to what he had averaged with his former teams.

It depends on what one perceives as Young's role. To me, he's the offensive spark plug off the bench the Lakers have been missing for years. In an offseason where multiple players have been vastly overpaid, roughly $5M per year for Young was a bargain. Sure, that value would have more meaning and depth to it had we assembled a contending team. But if we can assemble a contending team within the next few years, I still think he will be able to contribute as a 6th man Crawford role into his 30's.

#771 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,778 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 15, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Nick Young shot 3s from a spot up area at a higher clip than Ray Allen did.  MDA got the best out of him IMO.  I dont think Young is good enough or disciplined enough to dedicate himself to being a spot up guy.  He has his weird moments of getting out of control.  Unlike Kobe who can create offense Young is only good at dancing to get a long shot off, which is terrible offense.  I for one want that part of his game gone and would love to see him getting to the basket or looking for others more if he's insisting on trying to create.

Young's stats were almost identical to what he averaged in prior seasons, except playing lesser minutes. Stating "MDA got the best out of him" and that "Young likes to iso too often" is counterintuitive. If MDA truly got the best out of him, he would have maximized Young's role as a spot-up shooter, and his FG% would have been higher instead of similar to what he had averaged with his former teams.

It depends on what one perceives as Young's role. To me, he's the offensive spark plug off the bench the Lakers have been missing for years. In an offseason where multiple players have been vastly overpaid, roughly $5M per year for Young was a bargain. Sure, that value would have more meaning and depth to it had we assembled a contending team. But if we can assemble a contending team within the next few years, I still think he will be able to contribute as a 6th man Crawford role into his 30's.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#772 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,382 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 12:58 PM

Nick Young shot 3s from a spot up area at a higher clip than Ray Allen did.  MDA got the best out of him IMO.  I dont think Young is good enough or disciplined enough to dedicate himself to being a spot up guy.  He has his weird moments of getting out of control.  Unlike Kobe who can create offense Young is only good at dancing to get a long shot off, which is terrible offense.  I for one want that part of his game gone and would love to see him getting to the basket or looking for others more if he's insisting on trying to create.

He does get out of control as witnessed by those 360 or whatever layups haha. However, the Lakers didn't have a structured two-way system last season. Outside of 3-point shooting, inconsistencies were prevalent throughout (player roles, injuries, et cetera). I don't think Young was terrible at isolations last season. He shot 47% in terms of 2-point FG% and while he was ranked 91st in that field, the company around him were higher-tier players. Some big iso plays that come into mind were the two 3's on Lebron, pump fake and spin on D-wade, the fadeaway to tie the game at Chicago...to name a few. On the other hand, he has also taken ill-advised shots. 

Once again, I think he's perfect for the 6th man role. All the criticisms you make I agree with, but I feel they would be more suitable should Young be placed in the starting lineup. While he should maximize his spot up shooting, he'll still iso and attack the rim to add a sense of unpredictability. I do think he'll be discipline enough to buy into what Scott and Kobe say. 

#773 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,161 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted August 15, 2014 - 01:01 PM

I'd like to see him drive and get to the free throw line more too...but that wasnt exactly MDA's style of ball.

Not sure MDA got the best out of anyone.

Certainly not any COMPLETE player.

Hoping Byron and Kobe take Nicks game to next level.

But he's still a reasonable contract imo

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#774 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,469 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted August 15, 2014 - 06:45 PM

@MySportsLegion: How come Swaggy P doesn't have any tattoos on his right arm? His right arm is "strictly for buckets." -- how do you not love Swaggy?

This guy.

Edited by Massacre, August 15, 2014 - 06:46 PM.

iyjywo.jpg

#775 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,256 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted August 15, 2014 - 06:53 PM

Lmao

#776 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,568 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted August 15, 2014 - 07:44 PM

I'm glad we got nick young to replace metta in the crazy factor/entertaining role

#777 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,122 posts

Posted August 30, 2014 - 09:46 PM

Iggy with Nick shooting in the Gym

#778 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,356 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted August 30, 2014 - 10:28 PM

I can tell Swaggy wants to get better really bad, he took iggy to the facility on a Sat night lol

#779 WZRD

WZRD

The Underachiever

• 1,753 posts
  • Fan Since:mid 90's

Posted August 30, 2014 - 11:46 PM

I can tell Swaggy wants to get better really bad, he took iggy to the facility on a Sat night lol

and she actually came with him - true love haha

zombie

#780 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,349 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted August 31, 2014 - 09:06 AM

she doesnt have any boops :D

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users