Photo

Lakers re-sign Nick Young to 4 year / $5.3M deal; Kobe already starting back mentoring him(p. 32)

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

#621 JasonWll

JasonWll

Rookie

• 236 posts
  • Fan Since:Ever
  • Fav. Laker:Earvin Magic Johnson

Posted July 12, 2014 - 11:50 AM

It's not for peanuts! It's sort of a Jamal Crawford deal...

He wouldn't get much better anywhere else.

Posted Image

#622 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,187 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 12, 2014 - 11:53 AM

That is a good deal. The only Laker that will be Signed after two season next to Randle.
Posted Image

#623 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,248 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 12, 2014 - 12:14 PM

It's not for peanuts! It's sort of a Jamal Crawford deal...
He wouldn't get much better anywhere else.

Am I reading it wrong?

4 year deal for 5.3 million!!!
Thats 1.3 million a year!!!
For a 6th man of the year contender and perinial shaqtin a fool champion?

In a world where Gordon Hayward and handler parsons are making more than 10x what nick young will be....

You know we need.a new CBA

#624 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,348 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 12, 2014 - 12:15 PM

Am I reading it wrong?

In a world where Gordon Hayward and handler parsons are making more than 10x what nick young will be....

5.3M per year.

#625 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,545 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 12, 2014 - 12:16 PM

Am I reading it wrong?

lol hes making 5.3 million per year not 1.3

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#626 la1904

la1904

Rookie

• 204 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, swaggy p

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:41 AM

he is well worth it.. and if we work on his D even more. we might have to make him starter

#627 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,189 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:44 AM

This is a good to great contract. Young can play and contribute at a very cheap price and a long term deal. If he plays solid like last year you either have him locked up on the cheap or can ship a nice contract like his to a contender for future picks. If not his contract isn't big enough to do any real damage.

#628 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,682 posts
  • Name:Andy

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:19 AM

Young says Kobe was 1st person to call after getting 4-year, $21.5 million deal w/ Lakers. Kobe's message: "Get in the gym & work hard"

Nick Young is surely in a joking mood: "We’ll be fine. They got me. We’re a playoff team. Don’t count us out."

#629 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,545 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:20 AM

Young says Kobe was 1st person to call after getting 4-year, $21.5 million deal w/ Lakers. Kobe's message: "Get in the gym & work hard"

Nick Young is surely in a joking mood: "We’ll be fine. They got me. We’re a playoff team. Don’t count us out."

Thats why I love Kobe Bryant as a player.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#630 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,685 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:20 AM

1. I caught up with Nick Young, who said Kobe Bryant is already on him about preparing for next season http://bit.ly/Wb6E99 

Edited by Majesty, July 16, 2014 - 09:21 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#631 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,685 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:25 AM

Kobe trying to help Young develop into a complete player 

Yet, Young stayed optimistic. He gushed about Bryant’s recovery after playing in only six games last season because of injuries to his left Achilles tendon and left knee. Young touted the Lakers acquiring guard Jeremy Lin (and a 2015 first and second round pick) from the Houston Rockets for the rights to overseas player Sergei Lishchuk. Young liked the Lakers agreed to a two-year, $18 million to bring back forward Jordan Hill. And, of course, Young mentioned how the the Lakers signed on board for another four years of “Swaggy P.”

“We’ll be fine; they got me,” Young said. “We’re a playoff team. Don’t count us out.”

It seems pretty challenging for the Lakers to live up to Young’s bold prediction . Plenty of that depends on Bryant’s health and play, for sure. Some of it hinges on how much Young duplicates last season’s performance in which he averaged a team-leading 17.9 points on 43.5 percent shooting. When Young went through that process, Bryant offered him some tough love on how to develop into a complete player.

Young believes he will remain a backup small forward. But how will he adjust toward playing with Bryant and stomach his infamous death stares?

“Oh man,” Young said, smiling. “I can handle them though. A lot of them can’t handle Kobe’s looks.”

Young received plenty of them last year, the most famous one involving Bryant directly looking at Young with a stern expression from the sidelines.

“That moment, we were down by like 20 at Golden State,” Young recalled. “It was bad. He gave me that look, ‘Like come on!’ I tried, but it was tough.”

Safe to say those interactions will continue, with Bryant’s early offseason phone call setting the tone.

“Kobe puts more pressure on me,” said Young, who has frequently played in Drew League games this summer. “Ever since he gave me that phone call, I’ve been in the gym every day.”
http://www.insidesoc...or-next-season/

But Kobe doesn't mentor people...

Edited by Majesty, July 16, 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#632 Ring Chaser

Ring Chaser

Rookie

• 550 posts
  • Name:they call me smoov
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:TBD

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:29 AM

I hope he's heeding his own advice also cause the odds of even making the playoffs are worse than last year.

Join the movement and follow me on Twitter! @HoBbes___

#633 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,638 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:31 AM

Lmao all this would sound great if Nick Young wasn't pushing 30 years old.  The fact that he's getting "mentored" by Kobe at this age is hilarious to me.  It's wild to see the difference in perception of a guy like Young vs CP3 in terms of how fans view them.  Young is viewed as some 22 year old player needing direction lol. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#634 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,685 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:33 AM

Lmao all this would sound great if Nick Young wasn't pushing 30 years old.  The fact that he's getting "mentored" by Kobe at this age is hilarious to me.  It's wild to see the difference in perception of a guy like Young vs CP3 in terms of how fans view them.  Young is viewed as some 22 year old player needing direction lol. 

Doesn't really matter that he's 29 more than it matters that Young is listening and taking Kobe's lessons to heart does it.  Never too old to stop learning.  Even in basketball.  

#635 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,445 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:44 AM

I wouldn't call it mentoring it. It sounds more like telling him to get his ass in the gym and he's done it.

I'm down with that. 

#636 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,638 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:55 AM

Ehh in context to be pro ball,  a 29 year old player being mentored is a bit weird.  In your late 20s you already have or should have knowledge of self.  Why does Kobe have to tell him to get into the gym? Really?  At 21 sure, help him stay focused but I worry about a man that's nearly 30 that needs to be "guided" in any manner to do things that would be considered standard. 

Doesn't really matter that he's 29 more than it matters that Young is listening and taking Kobe's lessons to heart does it.  Never too old to stop learning.  Even in basketball.  

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#637 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 782 posts
  • Fan Since:since my dad took me to see "Wilt the Stilt" at the Forum
  • Fav. Laker:whoever wins the next game

Posted July 16, 2014 - 10:07 AM

You're thinking in terms of physical age. Mentally his age is lower; much lower. Julius Randle is going to be a good mentor for Nick.. 

#638 Ring Chaser

Ring Chaser

Rookie

• 550 posts
  • Name:they call me smoov
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:TBD

Posted July 16, 2014 - 10:10 AM

Mentally his age is lower; much lower. Julius Randle is going to be a good mentor for Nick.. 

lol. Poor Nick.

Edited by Ring Chaser, July 16, 2014 - 10:11 AM.

Join the movement and follow me on Twitter! @HoBbes___

#639 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,187 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 16, 2014 - 10:11 AM

Some folk see the half empty cup no matter what. Kobe didn't have to call him, but he did
Posted Image

#640 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted July 16, 2014 - 10:19 AM

Some folk see the half empty cup no matter what. Kobe didn't have to call him, but he did

Thank god Kobe called him our season is saved. 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users