Photo

Lakers re-sign Nick Young to 4 year / $5.3M deal; Kobe already starting back mentoring him(p. 32)

• Please log in to reply
829 replies to this topic

#41 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,770 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted November 18, 2013 - 03:19 PM

JR Smith averaged 5 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 steal per game last year.  

Nick Young doesn't come close to that...

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#42 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,272 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted November 18, 2013 - 03:45 PM

JR Smith averaged 5 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 steal per game last year.

Nick Young doesn't come close to that...

Lol do you really think 5 rebounds and 3 assists were reasons why jr smith won 6th man?

#43 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,770 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 03:53 PM

Deciding factors?  No...contributing factors?  Absolutely...

He had more than double the amount of 1st place votes than Jamal Crawford who came in 2nd, Jamal didn't fill out the box score like JR did...

2zi2dsm.jpg

#44 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,272 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 04:03 PM

Deciding factors? No...contributing factors? Absolutely...

He had more than double the amount of 1st place votes than Jamal Crawford who came in 2nd, Jamal didn't fill out the box score like JR did...

Lol jr didn't fill out the box score my dude. He won it over Jamal because JR was scorching hot the last part of the season. The whole season it was Jamal's but jr went off. Nick young's job is to come off the bench and be a shot creator. He's a dumbed down version of Jamal Crawford but if he puts up 15-18 points a game and we get in the playoffs with a respectable record he'll be in the running for 6th man no doubt.

Edited by MrKnowItAll, November 18, 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#45 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,770 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 04:10 PM

I'm not saying he isn't going to have a chance to win the award.  I'm saying he has to do more to win it. 

You can justify it however you want but the bottom line is at the end of the day, JR Smith had a better stat line than Jamal Crawford so he won it...

Look at Odom in 2011.  He averaged 1.5 ppg LESS than Jason Terry yet he obliterated him in the voting (96 1st place votes for Odom, 13 for Terry).  Why?  Lamar had a much more well rounded stat line...

2zi2dsm.jpg

#46 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,272 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 04:31 PM

Lol not gonna try and get thru your head that 2.7 assists wasn't a factor for a scorer winning a 6th man award.

#47 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,770 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Lol not gonna try and get thru your head that 2.7 assists wasn't a factor for a scorer winning a 6th man award.

Why didn't Jason Terry win over Odom in 2011 then?  If scoring is all that matters...

2zi2dsm.jpg

#48 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,046 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted November 18, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Why didn't Jason Terry win over Odom in 2011 then?  If scoring is all that matters...

Well a 14.5 ppg against a 15 ish ppg isn't all that big, especially considering Odom had his best season at over 8 boards per game, some clutch moments, and a was a solid defender. Plus Lakers were favored to 3 peat so various factors to take into account.

#49 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,272 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 05:59 PM

Why didn't Jason Terry win over Odom in 2011 then? If scoring is all that matters...

Well maybe because they play two different positions and odom was averaging something like 8-10 boards a game. Plus he was on arguably the best team at that time.

#50 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,770 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Well a 14.5 ppg against a 15 ish ppg isn't all that big, especially considering Odom had his best season at over 8 boards per game, some clutch moments, and a was a solid defender. Plus Lakers were favored to 3 peat so various factors to take into account.

Terry averaged 15.8ppg, Odom 14.4ppg.  That's the same differential that Smith & Crawford had last year.

And you just illustrated my point: Odom had better overall numbers than Terry...

2zi2dsm.jpg

#51 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,770 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 06:10 PM

Well maybe because they play two different positions and odom was averaging something like 8-10 boards a game. Plus he was on arguably the best team at that time.

So now the 6th man of the year award depends on team success, like the MVP? 

Ok...

2zi2dsm.jpg

#52 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,272 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 06:24 PM

So now the 6th man of the year award depends on team success, like the MVP?

Ok...

I didn't say that. I'm just saying that because he's putting up those numbers on the best team is something that should be looked at. Because if he was on a different team that year he could've put up 20+Ppg and 10+reb and 5+assists. Also of course other numbers come into factoring giving an award based upon performance. You can't compare a power forwards rebounding numbers with a guard. The main thing you look for in a shooting guard coming off the bench is scoring. You don't say "oh well this guy has 2.7 assists where as this guy had only 2.4"

you're kidding yourself if you really think that 2.7 assists played any kind of deciding factor in it.

But I get it, you were caught when we said that smith won it so you had to argue your way out. It's fine, I'll let you end the argument here if you want. Just arguing to argue smh.

#53 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,770 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 08:56 PM

I didn't say that. I'm just saying that because he's putting up those numbers on the best team is something that should be looked at. Because if he was on a different team that year he could've put up 20+Ppg and 10+reb and 5+assists. Also of course other numbers come into factoring giving an award based upon performance. You can't compare a power forwards rebounding numbers with a guard. The main thing you look for in a shooting guard coming off the bench is scoring. You don't say "oh well this guy has 2.7 assists where as this guy had only 2.4"

you're kidding yourself if you really think that 2.7 assists played any kind of deciding factor in it.

But I get it, you were caught when we said that smith won it so you had to argue your way out. It's fine, I'll let you end the argument here if you want. Just arguing to argue smh.

:laughing:  you didn't catch me at anything...

Look at Crawford & Smith's numbers from last year across the board and tell me that Crawford had the better overall line, he didn't...

And yeah, you can't compare "a forwards rebounding with a guard" which is why I'm saying look at the overall numbers.  They don't do seperate 6th man awards for each position, so they have to compare players from all positions.  How do they do it, and don't say simply scoring or else Terry would have won the award over Odom. 

14.4ppg/8.7rpg/3.0apg with 53.0% shooting on 11 shot attempts per game vs. 15.8ppg/1.9rpg/4.1apg with 45.1% shooting on 13 shot attempts per game...which player's line is giving more value to it's team?  The more well rounded one...

Also the Lakers were not the best team that year, in case you forgot they got beat down in the playoffs by Jason Terry and the Mavs, who went on to win it all...

So tell me if scoring & team success are the main factors in voting for this award why didn't Terry win it that year?  Only when you explain that legitimately can you claim that you've won the argument. 

If Nick Young's stat line looks like it does now at the end of the season he's not winning the award...

2zi2dsm.jpg

#54 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 18, 2013 - 09:23 PM

It doesn't really matter to me if he wins it or not. He just needs to maintain this level of production off the bench and if shooting for the sixth man of the year motivates him to shoot this well, so be it. That's what we need from him the most anyway. 

#55 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,083 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 18, 2013 - 09:36 PM

:laughing:  you didn't catch me at anything...

Look at Crawford & Smith's numbers from last year across the board and tell me that Crawford had the better overall line, he didn't...

And yeah, you can't compare "a forwards rebounding with a guard" which is why I'm saying look at the overall numbers.  They don't do seperate 6th man awards for each position, so they have to compare players from all positions.  How do they do it, and don't say simply scoring or else Terry would have won the award over Odom. 

14.4ppg/8.7rpg/3.0apg with 53.0% shooting on 11 shot attempts per game vs. 15.8ppg/1.9rpg/4.1apg with 45.1% shooting on 13 shot attempts per game...which player's line is giving more value to it's team?  The more well rounded one...

Also the Lakers were not the best team that year, in case you forgot they got beat down in the playoffs by Jason Terry and the Mavs, who went on to win it all...

So tell me if scoring & team success are the main factors in voting for this award why didn't Terry win it that year?  Only when you explain that legitimately can you claim that you've won the argument. 

If Nick Young's stat line looks like it does now at the end of the season he's not winning the award...

Who's the last 6th man of the year whose team wasn't a top 3-4 team? :)  

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#56 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,826 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 18, 2013 - 09:57 PM

J Crossover when he was on the Hawks but he was playing 31MPG.  The award is probably one of the more overrated awards.  Most 6th man winners are quasi starters that play huge minutes and usually close games a la Harden on OKC, prime Manu and LO

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#57 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,826 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 18, 2013 - 10:01 PM

Umm Odom has never put up 20/10 and 5 anywhere and never showed that he could either.  The closest he came to that was in MIA when he avg 17/9/4...

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#58 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,770 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 10:12 PM

Who's the last 6th man of the year whose team wasn't a top 3-4 team? :)

If that is indeed criteria for the voters then this shouldn't even be a debate, Nick Young won't sniff the award...

Edited by AnnoyingCustomer, November 18, 2013 - 10:12 PM.

2zi2dsm.jpg

#59 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,169 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 19, 2013 - 09:00 AM

Regardless of the 6th man award, it's good to see players embrace whatever role they get. Instead of complaining, Young accepted this role and has played phenomenal.

Same with Hill. He said it doesn't matter whether he's a starter or not. He'll play with the same energy and hustle.

I hope the chemistry isn't disrupted next offseason. It'll be sad to see some players go, if they do indeed.

• 40,603 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 11:14 PM

That Jordie/Swaggy P homie combo continues to work. You can tell these two just have natural chemistry together and genuinely have fun out there together. They feed off each other's energy & enthusiasm. It's fun to see when they're on like tonight.

yo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users