Photo

Please stop playing small ball! (Update: Lakers going big vs HOU; Kaman starting)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 863 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 04, 2013 - 08:43 AM

Hill can't play the whole game! Danm, I'd rather have him be an animal in the 2nd half than be one in  the 1st and a liability in the 2nd. Our beech does not suck! We scored 76 bench points against the Clippers. If anyone needs to be sent to the bench, it's Nash.

#22 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 04, 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hill can't play the whole game! Danm, I'd rather have him be an animal in the 2nd half than be one in  the 1st and a liability in the 2nd. Our beech does not suck! We scored 76 bench points against the Clippers. If anyone needs to be sent to the bench, it's Nash.

You're right, Hill can't play the whole game. But you'd think he could muster a bit more than just the 15 minutes MDA gives him. 

Nash will be fine. 

If MDA just does the obvious - play Hill, Farmar and Kaman a bit more, play Blake a bit less and at the 1 and take Williams out of the starting lineup, i think we'll be fine. 

#23 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,450 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted November 04, 2013 - 12:39 PM

Small ball is where this team plays best at.

Up front, i'd like to see Johnson, Gasol, & Hill. Wesley & Jordan bring lots of energy to the front court. 
I know MDA is in love with small ball but dammit, don't have Pau out on the perimeter jacking up shots when he's one of the best back to the basket players in the game. He puts up elbow jumpers & no one is there to rebound. It's dumb. 

veqdeg.jpg

#24 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted November 04, 2013 - 12:48 PM

Statistics are correct 100% of the time, but 99% of those that use statistics are full of [expletive]. 

People just don't know how to use them correctly

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#25 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 04, 2013 - 01:22 PM

What are we exactly complaining about?

Our coach is a guy who likes playing small. Not sure why this is an outrage. We all knew this was happening and it started last season.

#26 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,145 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 04, 2013 - 03:29 PM

1. D'Antoni to @DuranSports about Pau saying he likes to play with Jordan Hill: "I'm sure he does, because Jordan does all the dirty work"

:laughing:

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#27 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 04, 2013 - 03:40 PM

D'Antoni not even playing subtle. I hope that gets Pau to at least fight for boards. 

#28 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,211 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted November 04, 2013 - 04:20 PM

D'Antoni not even playing subtle. I hope that gets Pau to at least fight for boards.

Isn't he averaging like 12-13reb?

#29 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 06:47 PM

We've been giving up too many second chances and he doesn't really fight for any offensive boards. Sorry, should've been specific. 

#30 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,145 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Defensive rebounds.  Hill handles the hard work on the offensive rebounding side.

#31 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Rookie

• 1,148 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:21 PM

Ouch!! Very Jackson like response. D'antoni puzzles me. He comes across as a nice guy, kinda aloof, but then you watch him in the sidelines just seething with smoke coming out of his ears. Then BAM! He runs accross mid court yelling at everyone who would listen while calling a timeout. The man has a temper.

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,876 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 04, 2013 - 07:39 PM

Listen guys,once you cross into  a certain point in your career, and you aren't going to "hustle" as much. When old guys hustle they get hurt.

It's why I couldn't understand the criticism of Kobe's defense last season.

Vets have to play smart, not hard

#33 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 09:15 PM

Dude I get that. I'm saying I hope D'Antoni lit a fire under Pau's ass so he doesn't  make it so easy for the opposition. 

#34 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,211 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted November 04, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Defensive rebounds. Hill handles the hard work on the offensive rebounding side.

Rebounds are rebounds. Can't ask Pau to get offensive rebounds and get back on defense at his age and mileage. I'd rather Pau get back on defense and save his legs instead of burning for chances at offensive rebounds. Those rebounds are for guys like Jordan Hill, Wesley Johnson and Chris kaman to grab. Only reason I say kaman is because he has a lot of energy to exert because he only get about 15-20min a game. It's a long season.

#35 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 07, 2013 - 10:11 AM

“@mcten: D'Antoni: "Chris Kaman is starting. We're going to go big"” 

#36 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,789 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 07, 2013 - 11:46 AM

Pau's rebound rate is extremely high right now due to the pace of the team.  Numbers are inflated due to the increased amount of possessions and playing small. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#37 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,787 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted November 07, 2013 - 12:07 PM

Pau's rebound rate is extremely high right now due to the pace of the team.  Numbers are inflated due to the increased amount of possessions and playing small. 

Didnt think of that.  Explains alot of numbers from guys playing in MDA's system.

#38 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,145 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 12:24 PM

Also due to the fact they are defensive rebounds, not offensive rebounds.  That has to do with the fact Pau isn't putting himself in the post and is nowhere near the basket when shots are coming off.  What's he gonna do? Beat the other team down court?    Hill is closer to the basket than Gasol ever is on the offensive end as is Kaman.

#39 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,726 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 07, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Exactly. Paus rebounds are high due to him being the default rebounder. Its not like he's getting tough rebounds. All of his rebounds go straight towards him. Stu said it best a few games ago. Getting allot of rebounds doesn't necessarily make you a great rebounded. Guys like Hill are great rebounders because they get the hard rebounds and always get the 50/50 rebounds. Pau gives up allot more 50/50 rebounds than he gets. If you are the starting center you will usually be the guy to get the easy no box out rebounds. That is at least half of all the rebounds in the game if not more. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users