Photo

11/1/13: Spurs at LA Lakers

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#481 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,163 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 01, 2013 - 11:02 PM

Some tweets but they won't silence the negativity here:

Like he's trying to get the lineups with Hill.

I guess the hard part is who becomes the odd man out.

If he starts Kaman and Gasol the lineup becomes this

Nash
Blake
Young
Kaman
Gasol

The bench becomes

Farmar
Meeks
Xavier
Johnson
Hill

And then WIlliams is odd man out and he's one of our better defenders. 

If Hill starts

Nash
Blake
Young
Hill
Gasol

Bench becomes

Farmar
Meeks
Xavier
Hill
Kaman

Not bad but we can't run. 

Our best bet is to just switch out all 5 guys at once but what teams do that lol

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#482 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,275 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted November 02, 2013 - 12:26 AM

HOW IS IT THAT HARD FOR DANTONI TO REALIZE THAT JORDAN HILL IS BETTER THAN SHAWN WILLIAMS??!!?!???!

Edited by MrKnowItAll, November 02, 2013 - 12:26 AM.

#483 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,737 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 02, 2013 - 02:59 AM

Well, now it is obvious that the game opener was a fluke. We are going to be terrible this year. Yesterday, only Pau and Johnson showed up.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#484 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,857 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 02, 2013 - 03:58 AM

Not sure why guys are raving about the bench.  Outside of Pau they are pulling almost the same amount of minutes as our starts and probably have better players outside of Pau as well.  Farmar>Nash,  Hill > Williams, Henry > Young....its pretty easy to see why our bench looks good but in reality our starters are just bad. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#485 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,649 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted November 02, 2013 - 07:08 AM

Hill should been getting more minutes
The moment he entered the game dynamic changed
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#486 Jsmoove

Jsmoove

Rookie

• 394 posts
  • Fan Since:2009
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted November 02, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Like he's trying to get the lineups with Hill.

I guess the hard part is who becomes the odd man out.

If he starts Kaman and Gasol the lineup becomes this

Nash
Blake
Young
Kaman
Gasol

The bench becomes

Farmar
Meeks
Xavier
Johnson
Hill

And then WIlliams is odd man out and he's one of our better defenders. 

If Hill starts

Nash
Blake
Young
Hill
Gasol

Bench becomes

Farmar
Meeks
Xavier
Hill
Kaman

Not bad but we can't run. 

Our best bet is to just switch out all 5 guys at once but what teams do that lol

We could go

Nash

Blake

Young

Kaman

Gasol

Farmar

Henry

Johnson

Williams

Hill

Makes the 2nd unit stronger defensively  because I think williams is better at defending the 4 then johnson although it makes meeks the odd man out and he has been playing well recently and we also might lose a little bit of speed but not as much with kaman playing the 5 with the bench also less of a 3 point threat with meeks out.

Honestly it's not an easy job williams, hill and kaman each bring value to the 4/5 position.

#487 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 02, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Although I was quite frustrated with the loss, it was a pretty good game honestly. We obviously lost some momentum when Xavier went out, but that was more due to Coach Pop having an extended time for drawing out a play and combating the 15 point deficit than Xavier himself. The Spurs are a resilient team that most often come back when they're down. 

Some things to note:

1) Team defense: It's been looking pretty good, at least when we play at home. Although the Spurs did have an off night, the Lakers did too, so you can't give the Spurs much leverage on that. Individually, Farmar, Johnson, Xavier, Williams and Hill have been decent defenders and are probably our best defensive lineup. 

2) Free throw shooting: We missed some crucial free throws that would have provided enough momentum to close out the game. Xavier missed two that would have given us a two point lead that we could expand on. Hill missed one in the fourth. Gasol missed one that would have tied it up, and after that the Spurs went on a run and never looked back. 

3) Give Hill more minutes: Everyone noticed how we got back into the game once Hill was in. His proclivity to grab those offensive rebounds is priceless. I wish Dantoni would have played him distributed minutes throughout, especially when the Spurs were slowly erasing our 15 point lead.

4) Gasol's midrange: Normally I'd say get his ass in the post, but Gasol looked better shooting the midrange shots. I think part of the reason Gasol didn't play much in the post is since Tiago is a great one-on-one defender in the post. Regardless, Gasol needs to be more assertive, especially when he'll be playing Howard. Mix it up to make the offense unpredictable. Sometimes go in the post and score, or position yourself in the post and pass, or hit a midrange shot when open, etc.

5) Nash's health: This is really worrying me. Nash refrained from basketball activities during the Summer to give his aging body more rest. He said he was feeling 100% healthy. Then two games or so into the preseason, he keeps getting all kinds of injuries. Ankle, neck, etc. 

He wasn't finding his shot in the preseason and has looked even worse in the season. He was 1-8 yesterday when most of those shots were open jumpers and layups. I'll give him more time before I judge, but all these injuries and offensive setbacks when you rested during the Summer, the 4th quarter of Game 1, and the entire Game 2...I don't know, guys. 

At this point, I'm just hoping we get the Nash of last year minus the ankle and hamstring issues.

#488 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,047 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted November 02, 2013 - 08:58 AM

^

Agree with all your points, especially on Gasol, normally I bark at bigs standing on the perimeter but in this exception without Kobe and considering he is making them at a good perception we need his spacing. As for Nash it really is sad considering he has been put on such a limited play schedule and still seems to be falling apart.

At some point sooner than later, MDA has to come up with ways of making productive use of Hill and Henry, and I still prefer putting in Farmar over Blake,

#489 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,163 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 02, 2013 - 04:13 PM

We could go

Nash

Blake

Young

Kaman

Gasol

Farmar

Henry

Johnson

Williams

Hill

Makes the 2nd unit stronger defensively  because I think williams is better at defending the 4 then johnson although it makes meeks the odd man out and he has been playing well recently and we also might lose a little bit of speed but not as much with kaman playing the 5 with the bench also less of a 3 point threat with meeks out.

Honestly it's not an easy job williams, hill and kaman each bring value to the 4/5 position.

yeah but then Meeks is odd man out and he's been actually 50/40/90 X_X I can't freaking believe it either lol.

But he's in one of his hot streaks so then he's odd man out with the second unit.

Geez this team is so deep it causes this dilemma! lol

The constant D'antoni does seem to want is playing Farmar and Xavier together and having Wes with them because of the defense the three can cause. 

I LOVED Wes' defense last night.  He guarded Leonard extremely well and that help defense block was nasty!

Edited by Majesty, November 02, 2013 - 04:15 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users