Photo

Keeping teams under 100pts: 14 games: 7-7(.500) 101.9ppg

score defense

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,175 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 04, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Better than the 'top seed with defensive coach' Clippers who are allowing 110 points per game :) 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#42 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,572 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted November 04, 2013 - 11:36 AM

yea Majesty but I only focus on our performance. So far were avg 106 through 4 games. I know its a small sample size but I assume through 10 games it will still be over 100.

I know its silly and much easier to say it on paper but we just need 1 extra stop per quarter and that cut our current average to 98ppg. 

I read a article this summer about the Spurs. That In games when they allow 100+ points they lose 67% of the time.

So even with offensive anchors like TP, Manu and Duncan they concentrate more on defense and their offense is created as a result of their defensive efforts. Or they dont play great D...allow 100+ points and lose 2/3 times. And thats with some older players who reached the Finals. Pop utilizes what he has and maximizes their output thats for certain.

I believe our Lakers need to invest in this mentality with so many key older guys on the roster. Were not gonna be able to run over the entire course of the season. Last night in game 4 we ran out of gas in the fourth quarter. Imagine what will happen in game 75. This would increase our odds of winning by at least 33%. That probably means we'd take most of the close games in the 4th. We'd learn how to be stoppers in crucial situations. That could lead to above .500 ball before KB comes back so we could have potential in the playoffs. Just saying how I feel.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#43 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,175 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 11:57 AM

I don't even think 'ran out of gas' is the proper way of putting it.

Gasol ran out of gas for sure, as did Kaman. 

I'm aware that big leads throughout entire games consistently dominating everything doesn't happen much now.

Heck even teams like Miami, Brooklyn, etc are giving up big leads thus far, it's nothing new.

The problem was that we had the game in hand and played great defense throughout the first half.   But we let it get away from us in the 2nd, we never relinquished the lead fully but we let a lot of plays happen that shouldn't have. 

Boneheaded things like both going for the rebound and knocking it out of each others hands to a wide open three,   Small stuff like that.   When it comes to defense I like what I'm seeing from Xavier, Wes and Williams. 

Gasol had absolutely no energy to close the game and no legs whatsoever, they are saying its due to sickness, we'll see.

103 to me isn't that bad.  That's a contested floater missed or getting out on Korver faster.   A lot of shots Atlanta made last night were contested or over tough defense so there isn't much you can do with a 'stop' there.   What happened to us was we got stagnant offensively. 

When we're building a lead to 21 we're passing the ball 3-4 times, the lead started dwindling when the ball stopped moving and our offense became predictable, this is what opened up opportunities for Atlanta to score.    We MUST find a way to be more consistent. 

The positive that we can only take from this is, last year when we were talking about being consistent, and shutting the door.. we were also losing game after game after game.   Not so much right now. 

And what I do like is that we ran into the same situation we did against San Antonio.   We were blowing them out, and then we let them come back into it, we couldn't close against San Antonio, we closed it against Atlanta.  

One thing I say about this team is that we are a young team, when the vets aren't there. 

When Gasol is out of it, it's pretty much up to our young guys, and we saw some young mistakes last night, like when we were in transition in the final two minutes on a fast break we should have held the ball and used the whole shot clock, but Xavier drove to the basket instead.

That's the mistake a young team makes.

So we need to work on it, as those types of errors and mistakes on the offensive end is what opened it up for them on the other side.  

Once we find consistency we should be alright, it's about staying consistent and jumping on their throats when we have them down.   I know 50 point blowouts don't happen, this league has too much talent and comebacks are all the time.   But we can't afford it against the better teams in the league.  We kept it going for 48 mins against the Clippers, we have to encompass that.  Every game won't be that, but it can be like the first half against the Hawks.  

We do have the talent to take these middle of the pack teams out and that's a majority of our next 10 games.  

So it will be a learning experience, we should be over .500 after the next 10 games, if we aren't then we got problems imo.

#44 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,404 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 04, 2013 - 12:03 PM

We have 3 PGs, but we can't seem to  go into a slow down offense when we have a big league

#45 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,572 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted November 06, 2013 - 04:56 AM

123 by Dallas...smh. That was ugly.

Through 5 games we've given up 545 points.

Our average is: 109 ppg  :eh:

W-Clips: 103

L-GSW: 125

L-SAS: 91

W-ATL: 103

L-DAL: 123

Last year through the first 5 games we gave up 494 points.

Our avg was 98.8 ppg.

L-DAL: 99

L-POR: 116

L-Clips: 105

W-DET: 79

L-Jazz: 95

Were giving up 10.2 ppg more this season.

:smh:

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#46 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,826 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:17 AM

123 by Dallas...smh. That was ugly.

Through 5 games we've given up 545 points.

Our average is: 109 ppg  :eh:

W-Clips: 103

L-GSW: 125

L-SAS: 91

W-ATL: 103

L-DAL: 123

Last year through the first 5 games we gave up 494 points.

Our avg was 98.8 ppg.

L-DAL: 99

L-POR: 116

L-Clips: 105

W-DET: 79

L-Jazz: 95

Were giving up 10.2 ppg more this season.

:smh:

Well, that's what happens when you have Steve Blake defending Klay Thompson and Monta Ellis.

#47 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,616 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:20 AM

This is what happens when the best defensive players on the team are Hill, Farmar, and Johnson. We lost too much defensively when we lost Metta, Clark, and DH. Where is the defense going to come from? I've said this like a hundred times but I just don't see any good defensive players on the team. Name one backcourt in the league that Blake and Nash can stay in front of.

When we're shooting the ball well and the other team is making mistakes, we can win. Hopefully that'll happen enough to stay afloat until Kobe comes back.

#48 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:23 AM

What about those magical Rambis schemes?

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#49 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,826 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:30 AM

This is what happens when the best defensive players on the team are Hill, Farmar, and Johnson. We lost too much defensively when we lost Metta, Clark, and DH. Where is the defense going to come from? I've said this like a hundred times but I just don't see any good defensive players on the team. Name one backcourt in the league that Blake and Nash can stay in front of.

When we're shooting the ball well and the other team is making mistakes, we can win. Hopefully that'll happen enough to stay afloat until Kobe comes back.

The thing is, this shouldn't be so hard to fix.

Remove Blake and Williams from the starting lineup and insert Hill and Johnson instead. Nash will still have trouble defending the point, but at least we have a bit of length to contest shots and a bit of size and rebounding in Hill.

#50 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,175 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 05:54 AM

What about those magical Rambis schemes?

They are better than Doc Rivers's.

#51 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 06:30 AM

Not necessarily.  The Clips are 1st in overall pace.  So in the course of a game where they are putting up 119 right now they are going to give up loads of points due to the amount of possessions in that game.  In the end they are outscoring their opponents we are giving up -9 differential.  We let Dallas run roughshod on us.    

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#52 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,177 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted November 06, 2013 - 07:46 AM

This is what happens when the best defensive players on the team are Hill, Farmar, and Johnson.

No. This is what happens when MDA is your head coach.

Scratch that. This is what ALWAYS happens when MDA is your head coach.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#53 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,081 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 06, 2013 - 07:50 AM

I foresee this team continuing to get torched on the road, as long as this line-up gets trotted out there.  Our starters are limited defensively and don't match the opposition's energy on the road.

Kobe can help with energy, but won't help the defense considerably. 

We may do well to win more than a dozen road games this season. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#54 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,418 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted November 06, 2013 - 08:55 AM

Give me a break, first of all this is a very small sample size, the Clippers have been blowing teams out of the water, I believe their offense is the best in the league, and playing their bench primarily in the forth quarter and letting teams chip away at very large leads.  

#55 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,616 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted November 06, 2013 - 10:02 AM

I agree that MDA doesn't help defensively, but still, we just don't have the right personnel to be a decent defensive team.

#56 erfolk

erfolk

Rookie

• 944 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted November 06, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Nash gets broken down to easily on the perimeter. Blake is to small to guard twos. Sean Williams has shown nothing and is supposed a stretch four but is not making shots. I just think MDA loyalty to Nash will kill us. He looks awful on the floor. I came into this season didnt think we would be that bad but my mind is starting to change on this team. 

#57 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 322 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted November 06, 2013 - 10:46 AM

We lost two good defenders.  Howard, was close to the top in blocks and Ron Artest.  I watched Nash last night get beat in so many ways

#58 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,827 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted November 06, 2013 - 10:49 AM

I agree that MDA doesn't help defensively, but still, we just don't have the right personnel to be a decent defensive team.

MDA got a pass last year for no training camp and inheriting a roster. This team is his team; he had training camp and the roster is built to suit his style of play. However this year goes is all on him.

#59 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 10:55 AM

Soooooo...what does he have to work with? The team is 2-3 with the majority of the team being rejected scrubs and stars 3 years or more past their prime but some how he's supposed to coach a competitive team?

MDA got a pass last year for no training camp and inheriting a roster. This team is his team; he had training camp and the roster is built to suit his style of play. However this year goes is all on him.

#60 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,177 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted November 06, 2013 - 11:52 AM

MDA will fail regardless. The excuses for him are irrelevant

Pau Gasol is GONE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: score, defense

1 user(s) are reading this topic