score defense

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted October 31, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Last season I remember Steve Nash saying the teams goal is to hold opponents under 100 pts for the game and 25 for the quarter.

It seems the defensive goal will remain the same in 2013/14. However so far we've allowed teams to pass the century mark in both games.

I know we could hold Sac under 100... at least I would hope so.

But in only referring to the elite WC teams what needs to be done to hold them under 100 to give us a shot of being in the game late?

I think Hill would help the most. Or am I over rating his defensive ability?

Edited by LakersGAFan, November 25, 2013 - 06:56 AM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#2 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 31, 2013 - 11:44 AM

Last season I remember Steve Nash saying the teams goal is to hold opponents under 100 pts for the game and 25 for the quarter.

It seems the defensive goal will remain the same in 2013/14. However so far we've allowed teams to pass the century mark in both games.

But in only referring to the elite WC teams what needs to be done to hold them under 100 to give us a shot of being in the game late?

103 by the Clippers should be thrown out because the game was over with 2 minutes left and the rest were garbage points by the Clippers. 

125 is the concerning game but with the Warriors, you know it's going to be a struggle to hold them down especially at home. 

With this team, we aren't holding teams under 100 consistently.  We don't have the defensive talent.  Jordan Hill isn't a defensive presence, he's an energetic player that cleans up the boards, but he bites a lot down in the post. 

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 31, 2013 - 12:01 PM

Yep, I like that I saw some lineups last night with Hill next to Gasol and Hill next to Kaman.  The sad thing is neither lineup looked particularly good because of the lack of energy of Gasol as well as the Warriors being on fire by that point.  However Hill's hustle was never in question and both Gasol and Kaman gave him room to roam the paint when they were in the high post so that was a good sign.

I honestly think D'antoni would have played Hill the entire 4th if the game wasn't as far away as it was, looked like he was headed that route and then decided "it's not worth it if he gets hurt or injured" so he brought in Sacre and Harris. 

So I do like that D'antoni was trying out Hill/Gasol and Hill/Kaman lineups last night. 

Shawne Williams looks like he needs to be coming off the bench at 4 and Wes Johnson looks like he needs to start at the 3.  Heck Williams could start at the 3, him on Iggy or Klay last night would have been a blessing. It would have kept Meeks on the bench too where he NEEDS to be.

Edited by Majesty, October 31, 2013 - 12:01 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#4 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 31, 2013 - 12:03 PM

Well we have no good defensive low man. That allows then to drive and kick for wide open 3s because all the guards need to help.

#5 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted October 31, 2013 - 12:06 PM

I would play Hill more.  I have always thought he was a good pick-up and never understood why D'Antoni doesn't like him.

Defense is going to be bad, IMO.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 12:09 PM

I would play Hill more.  I have always thought he was a good pick-up and never understood why D'Antoni doesn't like him.

Defense is going to be bad, IMO.

Once again, Hill is the leader of our 2nd unit along with Farmar.  When we play small ball(a style D'antoni loves) Hill is the anchor of that group.  

I'd rather he be a 5 fighting for boards against a backup 5 and a key member of our bench mob than I would want him as a 4 clanking 17 footers and being on the bench because of it.    Hill was in three lineups last night, small ball, next to gasol, next to kaman.    Hill is also on his way back from injury and is now finally starting to get some of his explosiveness back but they aren't gonna push him to 35 minutes a game out of the gate. 

Guys coming off injury they are "pacing" haven't you noticed?   

Hill does have a role right now, co-leader of our second unit with Farmar and focal point of our small ball lineup because neither Gasol nor Kaman can cover the floor like he can.  

We know how D'antoni likes to run small ball, Hill getting minutes won't be a problem.

#7 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,485 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 31, 2013 - 12:12 PM

games in this would have been a good thread idea, but 2 games i

It's going to take 10 games to figure out what we really have in Wes, Jordan,Jordan,Xavier, and Nick.

We also want to see what Kaman, Nash,Pau(who looks solid) andSteve B are going to do.

#8 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 31, 2013 - 02:49 PM

I'm with the Phil Jackson 11 game wait and see

The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#9 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,943 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted October 31, 2013 - 07:15 PM

It doesn't surprise me. LA was a bad defensive team last season and lost their best defender. I look at this roster and I really don't see one great defender. The rotations are slow or not there most of the time. 

I would take a shot at MDA but I don't think anyone could make this into anything more than a lower tier defensive team.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 08:13 PM

It's not ONE great defender we need more than we need everyone committing to defense.

I'd hate it more if we had one great defender and everyone sucked or wasn't trying nor communicating..

Wait... that was last year ;)

Rather see a team effort defensively than a team of 'bad habits' that gets bailed out by one player.

Edited by Majesty, October 31, 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#11 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted October 31, 2013 - 08:24 PM

It's not ONE great defender we need more than we need everyone committing to defense.

I'd hate it more if we had one great defender and everyone sucked or wasn't trying nor communicating..

Rather see a team effort defensively than a team of 'bad habits' that gets bailed out by one player.

Our defense needs to communicate and switch better. 

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#12 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,943 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted October 31, 2013 - 08:43 PM

I agree, but we lack the players to switch and rotate properly and on time. 

If we finish in the middle or low middle of defensive efficiency I'll take that as a win with this roster.

#13 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,631 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted October 31, 2013 - 09:37 PM

We lost one great defender, and two very good, very versatile defenders. Earl Clark is longer than any wing player we have this year by a lot, can defend the 2, 3, and 4 positions, and is able to switch on pick and rolls effectively. Same goes for Metta, and even though he has certainly lost a step he was still top 3  in the league in steals among forwards. Then of course our defensive anchor, 3-time defensive MVP Dwight Howard. That's A LOT to make up for. We weren't even a good defensive team with those three guys, how are we going to be better without them? We brought in some decent guys, but not enough to replace what we lost. We will be worse this year defensively and we will not hold teams to under 100 points on most nights. Just won't happen.

Edited by djcovi, October 31, 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Metta wasn't top 3 in steals among forward, he LEAD steals among forwards last year :) 

But no one gives him credit for the defense he did play till the Lakers amnestied him.  Till that point all everyone said was how past it defensively he was and how he was useless to the team because he could no longer defend.  Sucks really.

#15 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 689 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted October 31, 2013 - 10:16 PM

We have a very small sample size. We're a much weaker defensive team than last year, but we got guys who can hustle. I'd want to see more games played before making an assessment though.

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

#16 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 31, 2013 - 10:28 PM

First off, I think the 125 point game was a bit of an anomaly. We were cold, they were hot. We'll probably have games where we drop 130 this season and some games where we only score 70.

I think the 100 is the goal, but I unless guys like Henry and Johnson step up defensively it will be difficult.

Hill would definitely help - not on iso-defense, but his rebounding, pick-n-roll and energy really helps.

#17 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 06:54 AM

That's fine; but currently, our strating unit's front-line defense blows.  I'm concerned about energy of the first unit, especially pre-Kobe's return, and while Nash deals with his ailments (likely until he retires) and he misses 20 games, or so.

It was nice to beat the Clippers, but GS showed a formula for how to destroy us.  Something that most of the teams with younger, more athletic starting line-ups will try to emulate going forward.

Now, that won't mean our back-ups lack energy and wil be unable to perform like they did on opening night going forward, but I really do think that our starting 5 may get torched a lot, especially in road games when energy is down.

Once again, Hill is the leader of our 2nd unit along with Farmar.  When we play small ball(a style D'antoni loves) Hill is the anchor of that group.  

I'd rather he be a 5 fighting for boards against a backup 5 and a key member of our bench mob than I would want him as a 4 clanking 17 footers and being on the bench because of it.    Hill was in three lineups last night, small ball, next to gasol, next to kaman.    Hill is also on his way back from injury and is now finally starting to get some of his explosiveness back but they aren't gonna push him to 35 minutes a game out of the gate. 

Guys coming off injury they are "pacing" haven't you noticed?   

Hill does have a role right now, co-leader of our second unit with Farmar and focal point of our small ball lineup because neither Gasol nor Kaman can cover the floor like he can.  

We know how D'antoni likes to run small ball, Hill getting minutes won't be a problem.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#18 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 11:50 AM

So how to destroy us is shoot 55% from three while we bring no energy.

Golden State can't do that every night. Just as we can't afford to come out flat, at all.

Gasol said after the game, that this team doesn't have the luxury of coming out flat footed or we're going to get beat.

We can hang with younger teams, we're a younger team. What we can't afford is coming out with low energy and effort because we don't have that superstar to bail you out. Honestly I'm glad that we have to give 150% effort every night to win. Better they have THAT habit when Kobe returns. So if we get embarassed when we don't bring full effort and it hammers into our guys they can't afford to not play with a chip on their shoulders then so be it. They'll need to be 150% when Kobe returns as well, best they learn it now.

#19 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Our starters are not really younger. Which is the point I'm making.  The starting 5 is low-energy, and porous defensively. 

Gasol can talk all he wants.  Every bad team in the league has someone on it who can point to what is wrong with the team.  Just saying it doesn't change anything. 

So how to destroy us is shoot 55% from three while we bring no energy.

Golden State can't do that every night. Just as we can't afford to come out flat, at all.

Gasol said after the game, that this team doesn't have the luxury of coming out flat footed or we're going to get beat.

We can hang with younger teams, we're a younger team. What we can't afford is coming out with low energy and effort because we don't have that superstar to bail you out. Honestly I'm glad that we have to give 150% effort every night to win. Better they have THAT habit when Kobe returns. So if we get embarassed when we don't bring full effort and it hammers into our guys they can't afford to not play with a chip on their shoulders then so be it. They'll need to be 150% when Kobe returns as well, best they learn it now.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#20 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 06:40 AM

@KevinDing: Jordan Hill: "I guess Coach Mike just wants to see what other rotations are out there, seeing what he could find. I just waited my turn."

www.twitter.com/ukuga

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: score, defense

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users