• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,174 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Report: Musician Lou Reed dies at 71

Famed US songwriter and guitarist Lou Reed has died, US music magazine Rolling Stone reported. 

Reed, who the magazine said passed away on Sunday, had undergone a liver transplant in May.

Born in New York in 1942, Reed found success with legendary 1960s band the Velvet Underground and produced music that influenced generations of musicians.

After leaving the band in 1970, he embarked on a solo career during which time he released the David Bowie-produced album Transformer and was thrust into rock superstardom. 

Reed recently had a number of health problems but was hopeful.

"I am a triumph of modern medicine, physics and chemistry," he wrote on social media. "I am bigger and stronger than stronger than ever." 

The magazine gave scant details about the death, and Reed's representatives could not immediately be reached to confirm the news.

Online tributes have been pouring in on social media after a message sent earlier in the day on Reed's Twitter and Facebook pages read simply, "The Door." 

http://www.aljazeera...1736483837.html

:no: RIP

hR3rI.png

#2 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,600 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted October 27, 2013 - 12:27 PM

Legend.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#3 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

Pineapple winner!

• 1,790 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 27, 2013 - 01:22 PM

What a loss. R.I.P. Lou, your songs have been an important part of my childhood.

Impossible is nothing.

• 40,400 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 04:07 PM

Sad to say I didn't know much about him and that's a shame on my part cause I tend to appreciate great rock & roll history, but from all accounts, he appeared to be quite a legend. RIP to the man.

yo.

#5 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted October 27, 2013 - 06:03 PM

^

To be fair, while a legendary artist, music snobs tend to distort music history, especially rock. Independently a renowned musician, check out his solo work, great example of 'operatic rock', some mellow and some just just raw acoustics. But for the most part because he was the driving force behind Velvet Underground, that will always be his lasting legacy. Velvet Underground tends to be called the American Pink Floyd, or Led Zeppelin, I can't go that far. But most musicians from that era claim their album Nico was legendary. Again everything is preference, great but some people put it on that legendary pedestal.

Probably because when I learned to play guitar, I picked more influence from other acts, while interestingly enough a close friend really stuck to these guys and the punk scene all in all, he really feels bummed and sad about his passing.

#6 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,174 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 08:33 PM

smicry.gif

My favorite Velvet Underground song:

hR3rI.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users