Photo

Nash's Health (Pg. 23 - Still 2-3 weeks from being evaluated)

• Please log in to reply
486 replies to this topic

#61 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,321 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:12 PM

he shot enough to average 17/5 in 15 of the last 20 games he played last season  before the nagging injury became too terrible.

Let's not cherry pick stats Majesty.  Nash played 50 games last year, total.  He averaged 32 minutes per game, with 13 points and 7 assists (I am generously rounding up).  He is old.  He will, at best, have nagging injuries but perhaps replicate what he did last year and at worst wont be able to come close to even the well-past-his-prime numbers he posted last year.

We gave up 4 draft picks for this.  Defend the transaction if you choose but I think it was a very bad bet from the start. 

Debbie Downer

#62 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,213 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:44 PM

Let's not cherry pick stats Majesty.  Nash played 50 games last year, total.  He averaged 32 minutes per game, with 13 points and 7 assists (I am generously rounding up).  He is old.  He will, at best, have nagging injuries but perhaps replicate what he did last year and at worst wont be able to come close to even the well-past-his-prime numbers he posted last year.

We gave up 4 draft picks for this.  Defend the transaction if you choose but I think it was a very bad bet from the start. 

Well I'm waiting for you to tell us the world breakers we'd have gotten from the 2013 draft from a middle of the pack pick in a weak draft.

You complain about the picks we lost for Nash(the one Phoenix gave up to Minnesota to get Wes Johnson because of the weak draft, Wes Johnson who we just got to the Lakers) 

So tell me the world beaters we missed out on in the 2013 draft that would have made more of an impact than Nash and I'll agree.

Till then, nope :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#63 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 28, 2013 - 06:48 PM

This man's body cannot handle the beating of an 82 game season. Hes in for personal/professional pride and for the $. Wish he'd retire already but that only helps the Lakers

Edited by MDI, October 28, 2013 - 06:48 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#64 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,321 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Well I'm waiting for you to tell us the world breakers we'd have gotten from the 2013 draft from a middle of the pack pick in a weak draft.

You complain about the picks we lost for Nash(the one Phoenix gave up to Minnesota to get Wes Johnson because of the weak draft, Wes Johnson who we just got to the Lakers) 

So tell me the world beaters we missed out on in the 2013 draft that would have made more of an impact than Nash and I'll agree.

Till then, nope :)

Too lazy to research who PHX drafted with our pick so far and what picks they still have to use of ours.   And it doesnt matter because we may or may not have drafted the same ones.

But your premise is so flawed the research is unnecessary.  You would rather take your chances with a 38YO PG who clearly has health issues and pay him 10m/ annually than retain FOUR draft picks?   We could have drafted with those picks, traded them for YOUNG talent, not wasted them on a bad bet.  We dont need a "world beater" when we have four picks, we need good young players that we can develop or trade.  Nash was a bad decision, period.  

Debbie Downer

#65 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,532 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 28, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Weird how Majesty is excited about former 1st round rejects and Nick Young but somehow trading 1st round picks for a player that can't even play b2bs at the start of the season is somehow a good thing.  No worries, great players like Blake and Farmar will keep us competitive and we will go 18-10 without Kobe.

Edited by Jody Smokes, October 28, 2013 - 07:32 PM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#66 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,213 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:19 PM

Weird how Majesty is excited about former 1st round rejects and Nick Young but somehow trading 1st round picks for a player that can't even play b2bs at the start of the season is somehow a good thing.  No worries, great players like Blake and Farmar will keep us competitive and we will go 18-10 without Kobe.

why don't you name a middle of the pack draft pick from the 2013 draft that matches up to Nick Young then.  

Too lazy to research who PHX drafted with our pick so far and what picks they still have to use of ours.  

They didn't draft anyone, that pick meant so little to them they traded it to the T'wolves for Wesley Johnson. Who we just signed.

Edited by Majesty, October 28, 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#67 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,846 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:36 PM

This is one of the reasons I was against signing him in the first place. I wanted the Lakers to get a younger option in case something like this happened.

#68 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,321 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:54 PM

why don't you name a middle of the pack draft pick from the 2013 draft that matches up to Nick Young then.  

McLemore

They didn't draft anyone, that pick meant so little to them they traded it to the T'wolves for Wesley Johnson. Who we just signed.

So we effectively gave up a first round pick for Johnson, correct?  Or we checuked the pick and happended to get Johnson as an FA, viewed another way.  Based upon what I have seen that might be an ok deal.  Should we conveniently ignore the other 3 picks we gave PHX though?

Debbie Downer

#69 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,213 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 10:17 PM

So we effectively gave up a first round pick for Johnson, correct?  Or we checuked the pick and happended to get Johnson as an FA, viewed another way.  Based upon what I have seen that might be an ok deal.  Should we conveniently ignore the other 3 picks we gave PHX though?

Oh I don't know....

One pick Phoenix gave up for Wesley Johnson(now a Laker)

The other pick is in 2015 which we have no idea the draft class of.

And we kept our draft pick for the stronger draft(First Round 2014).  So that is a good thing.

Not to mention we basically just got two high lottery picks in Xavier Henry and Wesley Johnson who seem to be finding their games now and we're getting them at exactly that point rather then the 2-3 year trying to find their games period that other teams dealt with.

So if you ask me that's a bargain ;)   As Xavier and Wesley are probably more talented than anyone we'd have drafted with a middle of the pack first round 2013 pick we gave away for Nash and are at a point in their career where they've had 2 or so years in the league to really develop their game and find themselves and both Wesley and Xavier seem to be at that point so it may have been the perfect year to get them tbh because this year if any is likely the one they'll produce the best they can.

What their 'best' is remains to be seen but I have a feeling that this is pretty much the time we'll see it.

Xavier was injured his first year, and didn't get a lot of burn or a chance in New Orleans, and he was given up on, he came here and is in a style that really appeals to him, Wesley as well so I don't expect them to be superstars(though I will keep a close eye on Xavier) what I will say is that a system like D'antoni's brings out the most advantages to their respective styles and we have Farmar who is at the perfect point in his career to take advantage of it.

So those are big plus's. 

We didn't win it with the "draft" but we made good enough moves this off-season that we didn't have to.

And I can't think of any middle of the pack 2013 draft pick that would have trumped Johnson, Xavier, Young or Farmar and we have Steve Nash in camp teaching and working with Farmar in the system that Nash made famous..

So if you ask me.. that ain't a bad trade off for a middle of the pack 2013 draft pick that Phoenix saw so little value in that they gave it away first chance they got.

Edited by Majesty, October 28, 2013 - 10:25 PM.

#70 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,733 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted October 29, 2013 - 01:52 AM

How we come out vs clips will say a lot about are team for this half of the season

ap1.png

#71 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,213 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 02:01 AM

How we come out vs clips will say a lot about are team for this half of the season

We'll come out aggressive most likely, but so will they.

These first three games will tell us a lot.  

The next 8 should tell us the rest up to that point.

#72 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,532 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 29, 2013 - 04:05 AM

The draft is mostly about potential and used to sweeten trades.  Nick Young is as good as is he will ever be.  He's not good, he's not special stop trying to make it seem like he is.  He avg 10pts on 40% shooting and lost his starting job on a bad team b/c he couldn't defend or pass the ball. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#73 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,213 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 05:16 AM

You still aren't telling me what middle of the pack 2013 draft pick is better then Nash, Johnson, Young or even Henry. :)

#74 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,321 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 05:23 AM

These first three games will tell us a lot.  

The next 8 should tell us the rest up to that point.

So ... you're saying that after the first 11 games we will know how well the team performed for the first 11 games?

Debbie Downer

#75 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,321 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 05:28 AM

Majesty, let's look at this a different way.  If we could trade NY right now for any of the 2013 "middle of the pack" first round picks, which one of the multiple appealing ones would we choose?  Given that option, Mitch would jump on it like a kid in a candy store.  Its not about matching up NY to any draft pick, SGs of NY's level are plentiful and relatively cheap.

Debbie Downer

#76 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,409 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 29, 2013 - 08:43 AM

Majesty, let's look at this a different way.  If we could trade NY right now for any of the 2013 "middle of the pack" first round picks, which one of the multiple appealing ones would we choose?  Given that option, Mitch would jump on it like a kid in a candy store.  Its not about matching up NY to any draft pick, SGs of NY's level are plentiful and relatively cheap.

I highly doubt that actually. Nick young makes the minimum and you would be lucky to get a playewr like him in the first round but likely won't.

This isn't football.

NBA is different.

#77 LAKing85

LAKing85

Rookie

• 448 posts
  • Fan Since:89'
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe "Black Mamba" Bryant

Posted October 29, 2013 - 09:15 AM

If Nash really wants to help this team out... RETIRE

#78 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,321 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 09:36 AM

I highly doubt that actually. Nick young makes the minimum and you would be lucky to get a playewr like him in the first round but likely won't.

This isn't football.

NBA is different.

Anywhere in the first round?  On a rookie pay scale?  So you would rather have NY than McLemore?

Debbie Downer

#79 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,213 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Anywhere in the first round?  On a rookie pay scale?  So you would rather have NY than McLemore?

Willing to bet the Kings draft before us in the 2013 draft.

#80 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,321 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 10:51 AM

Willing to bet the Kings draft before us in the 2013 draft.

Thats not the assertion B-IQ made.  Tale another look at his post.

Debbie Downer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users