Photo

Nash's Health (Pg. 23 - Still 2-3 weeks from being evaluated)

• Please log in to reply
486 replies to this topic

#41 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Off The Bench

• 1,590 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 26, 2013 - 05:55 AM

Some people here still suggesting tanking? Tanking is intentional. If we suck we suck lmfao but we won't ever suck on purpose.

Agreed. Then we would have bigger issues to worry about.

I saw Nash play some at the 2 spot with Blake at the 1 last night and I didnt see a drop off in speed. In fact, I thought we played at a quicker pace w/ Blake vs Nash. Not saying it was more effective but I could see that happening to throw off the defense with Nash being such an effective shooter.

#42 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,569 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 26, 2013 - 06:09 AM

Remember how hard it was last year crawling out of a 17-25 record?

Without Kobe for an extended period (say more than 2-3 weeks), Nash has got to be healthy and play near an allstar level and Pau has to combine with nash to be one of the most potent duos in the game for this team to be more than a couple games north of .500 (if we're lucky).

We've no question improved our depth and speed, its at the top we've dropped off. Whether MDA can make this work is going to be interesting.  He's been dealt another tough hand for the 2nd straight year.  I'd even go on record as saying if we get to the 2nd round somehow, he might get a 2 year extension...especially if Nash surprises, stays healthy and makes all our average guys look and play above average.

Farmar has my vote for the new guy that plays way beyond expectations this season. He looks primed to breakout.

Edited by kball, October 26, 2013 - 06:11 AM.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#43 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,085 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 02:12 PM

Steve Nash may sit out Wednesday back-to-back against Warriors

Steve Nash may sit out the second game of the season when the Lakers visit the Golden State Warriors.

"It's very possible he sits out," said Coach Mike D'Antoni.

The Lakers open Tuesday, hosting the Clippers. They play the following night in Oakland.

"I haven't talked to him. Obviously we'll see how [Nash] feels in the next couple of days," said D'Antoni.

http://www.latimes.c...y#axzz2ixlN2Umm

#44 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,063 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 27, 2013 - 02:36 PM

first back to back, sitting him out.  Good idea.   Clippers and then Warriors.  Asking him to defend, Chris Paul and THEN Steph Curry.... nah lol

That's why we got Blake and Farmar now

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

• 40,556 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 04:58 PM

and this is why many people say the Phoenix Suns have the best medical staff in the nba.

No joke.

The Suns’ training staff has earned a reputation as the league’s best thanks to an unorthodox style focused on preventing injuries through constant surveillance and integrating the latest medical research.

“They’re by far the best training staff,” Frye said. “You can ask anybody who’s played here. It’s just the honest truth.”

No one is taking Nash in a trade.

Not even his beloved Canada? He'd be a hero to them there in Toronto. Even if he was injured sitting on the bench, just his presence alone would create massive hysteria.

yo.

#46 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,488 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 27, 2013 - 05:56 PM

Lmao so basically we lose his talent on the floor and go into the next game with less talent and expect to win?  If thats the case why play him at all?

first back to back, sitting him out.  Good idea.   Clippers and then Warriors.  Asking him to defend, Chris Paul and THEN Steph Curry.... nah lol

That's why we got Blake and Farmar now

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#47 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,063 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Lmao so basically we lose his talent on the floor and go into the next game with less talent and expect to win?  If thats the case why play him at all?

Depends, you seem to think there's this gigantic huge dropoff when Nash doesn't play.

We lose some of his playmaking and his great shooting.  But Blake is the better defender and can still playmake and Farmar can push pace more consistently than Nash can or should be asked to.

So it's not like we can't do it.  We basically built this team to be able to rest Nash by having good options to go to when he's resting.

I'm sorry if you think Nash is this world breaking 20/15 guy that we can't rest on selective back to backs because Farmar or Blake is such a gigantic and dramatic drop off.    The days of Duhon are over and the front office did the smart thing.

Didn't you get the memo? :)

Nash is vital to us, but it's not like we CAN'T rest him on back to backs.  Blake and Farmar are here for a reason it'd be stupid to not use them when we decide to.

So sorry if we don't want to potentially put Nash through the task of defending Paul and then Curry on back to back nights on the first back to back of the season but that IS why we got Blake and Farmar.

Edited by Majesty, October 27, 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#48 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted October 27, 2013 - 06:06 PM

I was crucified when I questioned the pick up and the money spent in the first place ..  Now we want to question him?? I'm behind Nash all the way now

#49 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,488 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 27, 2013 - 06:10 PM

Just let him rest til healthy then.  Obviously there are some serious injuries he's lowkey nursing.  I'd rather sit him then use him here for 20min in this game not have him next game.  Hell an old Nash is still much better than Blake and Farmar lol

Depends, you seem to think there's this gigantic huge dropoff when Nash doesn't play.

We lose some of his playmaking and his great shooting.  But Blake is the better defender and can still playmake and Farmar can push pace more consistently than Nash can or should be asked to.

So it's not like we can't do it.  We basically built this team to be able to rest Nash by having good options to go to when he's resting.

I'm sorry if you think Nash is this world breaking 20/15 guy that we can't rest on selective back to backs because Farmar or Blake is such a gigantic and dramatic drop off.    The days of Duhon are over and the front office did the smart thing.

Didn't you get the memo? :)

Nash is vital to us, but it's not like we CAN'T rest him on back to backs.  Blake and Farmar are here for a reason it'd be stupid to not use them when we decide to.

So sorry if we don't want to potentially put Nash through the task of defending Paul and then Curry on back to back nights on the first back to back of the season but that IS why we got Blake and Farmar.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#50 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,063 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Just let him rest til healthy then.  Obviously there are some serious injuries he's lowkey nursing.  I'd rather sit him then use him here for 20min in this game not have him next game.  Hell an old Nash is still much better than Blake and Farmar lol

if you do that Nash never develops a rhythm.

The whole point of them playing him 20 mins is just for him to get some reps in and keep a rhythm without pushing it too hard.

That's been the whole point, Nash is pacing himself.  We can afford to do this because of our deep point guard rotation as well as Nash's intelligence.

It's not something we haven't seen before, Tim Duncan has also done things like this(before finding the fountain of youth)

So if Nash feels like he can go 20 mins and get a rhythm we'll play him the 20 mins or until he tells us he's done and then we'll rest him.

We're going about it a very smart way, keeping him in rhythm without risking pushing him too hard and it's something he's behind and he knows his body best and brutally honest as he is he'll say if he doesn't feel like he should go that night.   So right now we're trusting Nash with it.  I'm guessing if we keep this pace, by mid November or early December we'll see him pushing again around the time Kobe will be returning.

#51 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,569 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 28, 2013 - 04:16 AM

It would appear the organization is prepping the fan base to temper even our lowered expectations. Or maybe they're trying to confuse the opposition...though i'm pretty sure the game plan to beat the lakers this year is "show up and play a strong 40 minutes or so before Kobe returns. Then when he gets back maybe a strong 42-44 minutes".

Lets be real...with the Nash news and uncertainty, any Laker surprises will be if they handle the non playoff teams easily and compete every now and then with the elite.

I'll wait to get depressed in case we start out 0-3...but i'm going to the pharmacy and liquor store just in case.

Edited by kball, October 28, 2013 - 04:18 AM.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#52 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,730 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 28, 2013 - 07:07 AM

if you do that Nash never develops a rhythm.

The whole point of them playing him 20 mins is just for him to get some reps in and keep a rhythm without pushing it too hard.

That's been the whole point, Nash is pacing himself.  We can afford to do this because of our deep point guard rotation as well as Nash's intelligence.

It's not something we haven't seen before, Tim Duncan has also done things like this(before finding the fountain of youth)

So if Nash feels like he can go 20 mins and get a rhythm we'll play him the 20 mins or until he tells us he's done and then we'll rest him.

We're going about it a very smart way, keeping him in rhythm without risking pushing him too hard and it's something he's behind and he knows his body best and brutally honest as he is he'll say if he doesn't feel like he should go that night.   So right now we're trusting Nash with it.  I'm guessing if we keep this pace, by mid November or early December we'll see him pushing again around the time Kobe will be returning.

Good point. Didn't think of that because when he came back last year, he seemed out of rhythm a bit.

#53 PurPnYellowLaker

PurPnYellowLaker

Rookie

• 463 posts
  • Name:alejandro
  • Fan Since:platon
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:04 AM

Trade him to raptors for ...

#54 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 322 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted October 28, 2013 - 11:04 AM

Nash is at least 2 years past his expiration date.  Mitch Kupchek knew that when Nash was signed. 

If he can play 60 out of the 82 games, I'd be thrilled. 

#55 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 22,334 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted October 28, 2013 - 11:27 AM

Trade him to raptors for ...

Picks

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#56 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 22,334 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted October 28, 2013 - 11:29 AM

The Nash trade is worse than the Dwight ordeal.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#57 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,063 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 11:44 AM

No it isn't.   Having the best shooting and top 3(current) playmaking point guard for even 60 out of 82 games is a bonus.  

People really are so quick to throw Nash away, he's very vital to the success of the team.  We just built our team in a way that allows him to rest and get a rhythm without pushing to hard so that he can be good and close the season strongly into the playoffs.

I don't see a problem with this.   If we can have Nash in the playoffs well preserved and in rhythm then that's the ideal situation.  

• 40,556 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 04:20 PM

No it isn't.   Having the best shooting and top 3(current) playmaking point guard for even 60 out of 82 games is a bonus. 

That's nice & all, but the problem is he hardly shoots enough to notice as much.

yo.

#59 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,063 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 04:24 PM

That's nice & all, but the problem is he hardly shoots enough to notice as much.

he shot enough to average 17/5 in 15 of the last 20 games he played last season  before the nagging injury became too terrible.

We are preserving him this year so that if he went on a stretch like that he wouldn't be so shopworn that he'd have to miss more time.

Case in point if Nash needs a rest and you have Blake and Farmar that can play point guard, rest Nash.

#60 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,730 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:00 PM

People really are so quick to throw Nash away, he's very vital to the success of the team.  We just built our team in a way that allows him to rest and get a rhythm without pushing to hard so that he can be good and close the season strongly into the playoffs.

I don't see a problem with this.   If we can have Nash in the playoffs well preserved and in rhythm then that's the ideal situation.  

Laker's success is not measured by 2nd round exits (if that)....its measured by titles. And we aren't winning a title so he is pretty much taking up cap for next season, where we might be able to contend with the right moves, and he will be 40+.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users