Photo

Nash's Health (Pg. 23 - Still 2-3 weeks from being evaluated)

• Please log in to reply
486 replies to this topic

#1 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,516 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 24, 2013 - 07:10 PM

http://probasketball...ern-for-lakers/

Not sounding good. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#2 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 24, 2013 - 07:12 PM

I was going to create a thread for this but you beat me to it.

Not optimistic for Nash.  Despite him being in great shape, looks like father time is punching him in his face.

#3 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,889 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 24, 2013 - 07:17 PM

This is why the Lakers are carrying three point guards.  So many wanted to deal Blake, but that would be foolish right now.

Nash is gonna struggle with health all year.

#4 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 07:29 PM

This is why the Lakers are carrying three point guards.  So many wanted to deal Blake, but that would be foolish right now.

Nash is gonna struggle with health all year.

Pretty safe to say this is Nash's last season with the Lakers (and probably in the league).

If Nash doesn't retire, Lakers will use the stretch provision this summer.

#5 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,889 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 24, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Absolutely they will.

Another reason why all these one year signings was brilliant.  If Nash misses a good chunk of time I wouldn't be surprised to see Vujacic come wandering into the mix again.

I'm gonna enjoy this year with no pressure to win anything of significance.  It'll be a nice break from last year's drama and a good breath before the craziness begins again next summer.

#6 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,886 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 24, 2013 - 07:35 PM

Really was hoping he would retire after last season but too bad. I still think we will see farmar starting by all star break, blake being the back up and nash out for injury 70% of the season.

#7 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted October 24, 2013 - 08:14 PM

I can't wait for the whine, moan, and complain thread to be started up again. I'm going to be posting there a lot this season.

Posted Image

#8 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,222 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 08:19 PM

We don't need him to be 100%. We can afford sitting him down for large chunks of the game because Blake and Farmar are perfectly capable of coexisting with other players. Still, I pity Nash. He doesn't have many chances left. I know he is a warrior, and have a work ethic at highest degree but he's playing the extra times at this point.

I really really hope this will be a good year for all three- Kobe, Pau, Nash. They deserve a last push after everything happened last season.

#9 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,321 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted October 24, 2013 - 08:32 PM

The lack of desire to move Blake and signing of Farmar by the FO spoke volumes this summer.  I would use Nash sparingly until Kobe comes back and is in some decent form of his old self.  If we have a shot at anything at that point, a fresh Nash will be essential.

Debbie Downer

#10 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,828 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted October 24, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Absolutely they will.

Another reason why all these one year signings was brilliant.  If Nash misses a good chunk of time I wouldn't be surprised to see Vujacic come wandering into the mix again.

I'm gonna enjoy this year with no pressure to win anything of significance.  It'll be a nice break from last year's drama and a good breath before the craziness begins again next summer.

Any chance they can move Nash?

#11 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,616 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted October 24, 2013 - 08:51 PM

My thought process going into this season exactly

#12 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,516 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Lol you serious? Did you read the article?  No one is going to trade for Nash with 2 years left on his deal when he's a hard game or 2 from breaking down.  If Nash could be traded they would have done it already.

Any chance they can move Nash?

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#13 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,516 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 08:58 PM

For what? To attain the 8th seed?  Win a championship?

We don't need him to be 100%. We can afford sitting him down for large chunks of the game because Blake and Farmar are perfectly capable of coexisting with other players. Still, I pity Nash. He doesn't have many chances left. I know he is a warrior, and have a work ethic at highest degree but he's playing the extra times at this point.

I really really hope this will be a good year for all three- Kobe, Pau, Nash. They deserve a last push after everything happened last season.

Edited by Jody Smokes, October 25, 2013 - 04:15 AM.

#14 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,180 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 24, 2013 - 09:20 PM

According to Kobe Nash's issue is really his ankle right now he tweaked it before training camp and he said that resting him has more to do with them wanting it to 'get out of the way' or one of those things that they want to 'fully' be rid of before having him play.

The Lakers have that luxury this year where if he tweaks an ankle etc we CAN afford to wait till it goes away, as long as Blake and Farmar remain healthy,

Under normal circumstances he could play through it, but as we have the luxury of having two point guards there's no real need to make him push it too much.   So he gets a few minutes to keep his rhythm and then we rest him.  It's not that Nash CAN'T play, we just don't have the need to play him extended minutes outside of just keeping a rhythm till this 'tweak' goes away.    We have two point guards just fine off our bench so there's no reason for him to play through it.   I'd rather they do it this way than just playing him through it which is what they had to do for most of last year after he came back.

Just as I'd rather we build up enough momentum consistently that Blake and Farmar can keep leads after the first half and Nash could rest 2nd halves if he wanted to, it'd mean we were clearly winning games.  The more often that happens(us clearly winning games allowing Nash to rest if he wants to) the better.

Edited by Majesty, October 24, 2013 - 09:23 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#15 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,516 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 04:07 AM

Blake/Farmar starting isn't exactly a luxury.  Nash isn't just dealing with a nagging ankle tweak.  It's obvious that the team and training staff is concerned that he is about to break down for good.  Both of our backup PGs are quality backups but they couldn't start for any team in the NBA. 

According to Kobe Nash's issue is really his ankle right now he tweaked it before training camp and he said that resting him has more to do with them wanting it to 'get out of the way' or one of those things that they want to 'fully' be rid of before having him play.

The Lakers have that luxury this year where if he tweaks an ankle etc we CAN afford to wait till it goes away, as long as Blake and Farmar remain healthy,

Under normal circumstances he could play through it, but as we have the luxury of having two point guards there's no real need to make him push it too much.   So he gets a few minutes to keep his rhythm and then we rest him.  It's not that Nash CAN'T play, we just don't have the need to play him extended minutes outside of just keeping a rhythm till this 'tweak' goes away.    We have two point guards just fine off our bench so there's no reason for him to play through it.   I'd rather they do it this way than just playing him through it which is what they had to do for most of last year after he came back.

Just as I'd rather we build up enough momentum consistently that Blake and Farmar can keep leads after the first half and Nash could rest 2nd halves if he wanted to, it'd mean we were clearly winning games.  The more often that happens(us clearly winning games allowing Nash to rest if he wants to) the better.

#16 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 921 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 05:27 AM

Nash would be great off the bench, getting the less talented players we have involved.

#17 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,746 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 25, 2013 - 05:55 AM

and this is why many people say the Phoenix Suns have the best medical staff in the nba.

#18 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,605 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 25, 2013 - 06:05 AM

A week ago i was pretty optimistic this team might surprise us by being better than expected...now i'm starting to feel less so.

Worst case, Nash unable to be out there, Kobe not back for 4-8 weeks, team goes 3-10 or 4-9 out the gate, everyone starts playing for their next contract.  It could get ugly. Fast.

Majesty, get on here and talk me down!

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#19 PurPnYellowLaker

PurPnYellowLaker

Rookie

• 463 posts
  • Name:alejandro
  • Fan Since:platon
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted October 25, 2013 - 07:07 AM

Big mistake

#20 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 07:16 AM

A week ago i was pretty optimistic this team might surprise us by being better than expected...now i'm starting to feel less so.
Worst case, Nash unable to be out there, Kobe not back for 4-8 weeks, team goes 3-10 or 4-9 out the gate, everyone starts playing for their next contract. It could get ugly. Fast.

Majesty, get on here and talk me down!

And if that worst case happens, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Give me a lottery pick, plus cap space and we can rebuild slightly faster.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users