Photo

The Average Age For World Series Viewers Is 53

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

• 40,377 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 06:08 PM

Bloomberg did a report which revealed the very troubling number, the median viewer age for the 2012 World Series was 53.4, the highest in 20 years–if not all time. Compared to other sports’ viewer age for the NBA finals the average age was 41 and the average NFL watcher is under 45.

Baseball has to find a way to rectify their image of being an ‘old person’s’ sport and find a way to tap into the youth, and future players and viewers of the game. With Bud Selig on his way out, one of the key tasks for the next Commissioner is to save the sport for the newest generation.

Read more at
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2013/10/the-average-age-for-world-series-viewers-is-53/#Feg5ZsYdvGSQ5TeL.99

yo.

#2 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,508 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 23, 2013 - 06:23 PM

Not surprised haha, baseball is a very fun sport o play but in my opinion is one of the most non entertaining sports to watch (outside from the postseason which is just amazing) haha

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,356 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 23, 2013 - 07:20 PM

Not surprising at all. 

There's no flash in baseball, so it's not going to grab any attention.  And when there is, such as players like Yasiel Puig, fans are quick to say that there is no room for that of showboating/attitude in baseball. 

I love the sport, but you have to understand the game to respect it. 

#4 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 23, 2013 - 07:28 PM

I said I was going to watch more baseball this year...

Tonight's game was my first baseball game all year lol

Pau Gasol is GONE

#5 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,339 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:38 PM

The thing that is even MORE telling...On ESPN, they have a box score for games, and a place called "Conversation," where fans can chime in, and chat. The limit is 5,000 - once it gets to that, it doesn't tell you how many chats there are anymore.

I think when the game was almost over, it was at like 3800. If the Lakers have just a big regular season game, it's not uncommon for the chat to max out at 5,000 before the game even starts.

Edited by leor_77, October 23, 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#6 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,435 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:24 PM

Baseball is complex, and you have to understand it to sit down and enjoy it. Most people I meet never give baseball a chance, don't learn the game, and say it sucks as a result. Sort of the same thing with soccer. 

Another thing is baseball actually requires an attention span to watch, which many sports fans seem to lack nowadays.

• 40,377 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 09:03 PM

^ Even tons of "fans" at the games themselves spend so much more time on their phones than actually watching the game. So many of them miss the few moments of significant action.

yo.

#8 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,356 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 28, 2013 - 09:38 PM

^ Even tons of "fans" at the games themselves spend so much more time on their phones than actually watching the game. So many of them miss the few moments of significant action.

You can say that about fans in any sport. 

#9 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,081 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted October 28, 2013 - 09:40 PM

Even the complexity of baseball doesn't make it exciting to watch. I'd rather watch a good soccer game than a good baseball game. Baseball games are good to watch with buddies and a brew and tall about life lol. Then inning 7 will eventually begin and it's all good. Lol

There needs to be way less games as well

ap1.png

• 40,377 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 09:45 PM

You can say that about fans in any sport. 

True, but it can be especially costly in baseball considering there's so minimal loud action.

yo.

#11 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 06:42 AM

I don't think baseball is complicated at all. 

I mean, I enjoy watching the game. But, I'm not really motivated to make sure I catch any particular game. I could end up watching it over basketball though.

Just not the same excitement as football (NFL/NCAA)

Edited by Windu, October 29, 2013 - 06:43 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,377 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 01:06 PM

I could end up watching it over basketball though.

Damn really? Man you must really not think much of basketball at all then, at least not as much as I thought. I assumed it was your second sport easily behind football, but then you go & make a statement like this? Really? Baseball over basketball? Oh man.. really didn't expect that from you to be honest.

yo.

#13 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 06:49 AM

Damn really? Man you must really not think much of basketball at all then, at least not as much as I thought. I assumed it was your second sport easily behind football, but then you go & make a statement like this? Really? Baseball over basketball? Oh man.. really didn't expect that from you to be honest.

For me, football is above and beyond any other sport.

Basketball use to be a comfortable second but now...idk. I'm gonna try to watch a lot of basketball this year to see if we can rekindle the flame.

Pau Gasol is GONE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users