DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,996 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 22, 2013 - 09:12 PM

Tanking doesn't work in the NBA.

LOL you must be joking. 

Of course it does. It doesn't gurantee anything, especially if you chose Darko Milicic over Carmelo Anthony, but making sure to bottom out the season where you dont have the assets to compete anyway will help to rebuild the roster. 

Some seasons it can be a good idea to tank if the top pick is special, like when you had guys like Duncan, Yao Mink, Lebron, Durant, Rose, Wall, Davis etc. Many of these guys were picked by teams that tanked to get the pick.

It can also be a good idea if the whole draft is awesome, like the 1996 or 2003 draft. This year's draft could be better than both the '96 and '03 draft and a top 5 pick could change the direction of a whole franchise.  

• 40,603 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 09:14 PM

LOL you must be joking.

He's not. fido hardly jokes about anything, at least around here. Take him for his word more times than not.

Me on the other hand in contrast, I'm quite the sarcastic fellow perhaps many already know... but tis why one should become more familiar with their surroundings the more time they spend here.

yo.

#26 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 22, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Name me a team that "tanked" and came out of it golden from then on out.

#27 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,051 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 22, 2013 - 11:56 PM

in the NFL? ;)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#28 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,996 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted October 23, 2013 - 01:08 AM

Spurs in 96-97.

Cavs in 02-03.

In recent years, when a bit of intelligence have been introduced in some franchises, tanking have been a good way to rebuild. I'm not saying that I like that it works that way, or that I don't think the rules should be changed, but saying that tanking isn't working is just being ignorant.

Take a team like the Bucks - they've been a consistently average team the past many years. Never really done anything in the playoffs, never really landed that top pick that could have changed the course of the franchise. This season they have a lot of decent players and a very good building block in Larry Sanders, but you'll end up seing more of the same, which is a first round exit at best and a pick in the 12-16 range, that wont change anything. Their offseason moves even support this: Delfino, Neal, Pachuila, Butler, Mayo. All guys that'll keep you mediocre, nothing more, nothing less.

Their best course of action, in my humble opinion, is to trade all the pieces that are nice, but not necessarily building blocks for the future, bottom out this season and get a potential top 5 pick to pair with Larry Sanders, who is the only real asset they have.

Of course, tanking doesn't guarantee you anything, but in a year like this, where the draft is almost 10 deep in all-star potential talent, I think it is a smart move for many teams.

#29 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,119 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:59 AM

100% intentional.  Not a tough break for the team, at all.  They traded for him for this very reason.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#30 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,119 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Again, for those who forget, never knew, or choose to ignore:

The team with the worst record is guaranteed a top 4 pick.  The team with the 2nd worst record is guaranteed a top 5 pick.  And so on.

This is the year when it is worth missing play-offs, as opposed to middling around 40-45 wins, just to lose in RD 1.  For Philly, they are trying to ensure the worst record, increasing their odds at the #1 pick.  Most likely (75% chance), they don't get number 1.  But, they still have about a 50% chance of top 3, and 100% chance at top 4 if they finish with the league's worst record, which is likely.  Plus, they have a shot of the Pelicans' pick, which could be packaged to trade up, stock talent, trade for veteran, etc.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#31 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 23, 2013 - 09:04 AM

Noel was a great pick, all to better their odds in the Wiggins lottery. With the amount of talent in this upcoming draft, securing a top 4 pick would be pretty sweet for a franchise in the dumps.

#32 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,616 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted October 23, 2013 - 10:39 AM

TF is Yao Mink?!

2hf753r.jpg

• 40,603 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 06:24 PM

76ers Head Coach Says He Only Has 6 NBA Players

9206300_600x338.jpg

yo.

#34 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,801 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted October 24, 2013 - 05:10 PM

I mean it's not like something new happened to him.  He's 19 had an ACL tear in February and they want him completely healthy.  The team is going nowhere this year and have 1st guaranteed lottery pick and possible 2nd depending on how NO turns out in a deep draft. 

Poor 76ers?

They knew he was a gamble on draft day. There's a reason he dropped so far. They should've done better research. Poorly run organization.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#35 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,512 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 05:18 PM

At the end of the day you're almost guaranteed a franchise player in the top 4 picks

Well as guaranteed as you can get with a draft
Posted Image

#36 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,119 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Spurs in 96-97.

Cavs in 02-03.

In recent years, when a bit of intelligence have been introduced in some franchises, tanking have been a good way to rebuild. I'm not saying that I like that it works that way, or that I don't think the rules should be changed, but saying that tanking isn't working is just being ignorant.

Take a team like the Bucks - they've been a consistently average team the past many years. Never really done anything in the playoffs, never really landed that top pick that could have changed the course of the franchise. This season they have a lot of decent players and a very good building block in Larry Sanders, but you'll end up seing more of the same, which is a first round exit at best and a pick in the 12-16 range, that wont change anything. Their offseason moves even support this: Delfino, Neal, Pachuila, Butler, Mayo. All guys that'll keep you mediocre, nothing more, nothing less.

Their best course of action, in my humble opinion, is to trade all the pieces that are nice, but not necessarily building blocks for the future, bottom out this season and get a potential top 5 pick to pair with Larry Sanders, who is the only real asset they have.

Of course, tanking doesn't guarantee you anything, but in a year like this, where the draft is almost 10 deep in all-star potential talent, I think it is a smart move for many teams.

Good post.

I would also add the 2007 Celtics to the list.  Did they tank, or were they just terrible?  I'm not sure.  But, they finished with the league's worst record and turned the #4 pick in a deep draft into Ray Allen, which paved the way for KG to waive his no-trade clause and join the Celtics in a more lop-sided trade than the one the Lakers made with Memphis to net Gasol. 

They won the title in 2008, went to game 7 of the Finals in 2010, and were within a win of the Finals again in 2012.  

Not bad.  

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#37 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,011 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 08:38 AM

Micheal Carter Williams having a Brandon Jennings esque start to the season. Great piece to match with Parker and Noel next season, they're going to be stacked.

• 40,603 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 02:29 AM

^ Yeah, he's been quite the surprise. Consistency is gonna' be key for him though.

yo.

#39 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,331 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 22, 2014 - 04:11 PM

#76ers C Nerlens Noel tells the Globe he'll play in Orlando Summer League. Noel, who missed last season w torn ACL, said he's 100 percent.

Sam Hinkie expects Nerlens Noel to make his NBA debut in the upcoming summer league. @TheRealMikeKB has more: http://bit.ly/1tqiPKr 

#40 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,051 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 22, 2014 - 04:18 PM

#76ers C Nerlens Noel tells the Globe he'll play in Orlando Summer League. Noel, who missed last season w torn ACL, said he's 100 percent.

Sam Hinkie expects Nerlens Noel to make his NBA debut in the upcoming summer league. @TheRealMikeKB has more: http://bit.ly/1tqiPKr 

He's been 100% but Philly wanted Wiggins

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users