Photo

Dwight Howard Says Batman Inspired Him To Leave Lakers

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

• 40,556 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 06:10 PM

http://www.usatoday....ouston/3006891/

As he sits on a couch inside Toyota Center, which he now calls his basketball home, discussing his decision to leave the Los Angeles Lakers that was so hard to make but so easy to understand, he recalls the words that rang so true.

"I actually wrote (them) down and can tell it to you — it's from Batman," Howard tells USA TODAY Sports. "Batman and Alfred were having a discussion (in the 2012 Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises), and Batman didn't like what was going on and he felt like the best thing he could do was just hide.

"Alfred told him, 'You have to endure it. You have to take it. People will hate you for it, but that's the point of being a legend. You can be that outcast. You can make the choice that no one else can make, and that's the right choice.' "

"I kind of took that with me in this situation in L.A.," he continues. "It was hard, something that most people wouldn't have done, because they're looking at the whole situation and people are going to think that I'm running (from the pressure), and people are going to think this or that.

"But I'm like, 'Man, I want to be this legend, I want to be at the top. So I have to endure all that hate, all that criticism. I have to take it, and that's what's going to make me the person and the player I am.' "

Howard was on a plane from Aspen, Colo., to Los Angeles when news reports claimed — despite a USA TODAY Sports report revealing his decision to join the Rockets — he was having second thoughts. The news sparked the latest public bashing of Howard on social media, with fans and news media alike criticizing him for what appeared to be another dose of unnecessary drama. The problem, Howard said, is that it never happened.

"That was not the case," Howard says. "I was very upset about it when all that stuff started to come out, because that's not what was going on. I decided … the night before it came out, and my thinking was, 'Let me get back to L.A. and sit in front of Mitch (Kupchak, Lakers general manager) and give the Lakers that respect.' I wanted to tell them in person.

"There was no (thought of), 'Oh man, hold up, let me think about this again.' The night before, when I had decided, I sat down with everybody — my agent, my best friend who was there and my bodyguard, and we talked. I said this is where I want to go. I told my dad that this is where I want to go. I said tomorrow, when I get home, we're going to talk to the Lakers. I'm going to tell the other teams on the phone, and that's what I did."

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#2 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,954 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted October 20, 2013 - 06:12 PM

To Houston, Robin!

batman-ben-affleck-matt-damon-robin-gif.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#3 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,328 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 06:24 PM

Typical Dwight Howard

Not only does he completely get the quote wrong, that speech by Alfred was from the dark knight

While bruce hiding was from TDKR

So Dwight took advice from quotes he doesn't even understand
Posted Image

#4 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,045 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted October 20, 2013 - 06:27 PM

While I get Affleck was a strange choice for Batman I honestly thought he was good in Daredevil. While so many people bashed him on it and then deciding as a result he would do as bad on this Batman. Maybe I am in the minority.

Oh and at times it feels like Lebron and Howard compete for the most obscure quotes and lines in the offseason.

#5 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted October 20, 2013 - 06:28 PM

lol childsplay

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#6 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,715 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted October 20, 2013 - 06:29 PM

howard... just...shut up...and play basketball.

ap1.png

#7 MysticBlu~

MysticBlu~

Rookie

• 985 posts
  • Name:Jennie
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 20, 2013 - 06:31 PM

I'm tired this whole topic of the "leaving the lakers" n crap...just hush and play basketball.

#8 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,043 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 20, 2013 - 06:36 PM

So he left the Lakers just to prove a point?

Have fun in Houston is all I have to say. 

Funny thing is he spent his entire free agency trying to be the "anti-Lebron" when it came to his decision in Orlando.

Know what would have made him the anti-LeBron?

For literally everything to go wrong while he's on the Lakers and have faith in the organization and want to make it his own.

But he didn't.  So that's on him, and now he is exactly where LeBron was when he made his decision.  

Dwight can try to change it about anyway he wants to, every time he speaks he makes it sound like he left to Lakers just to prove you could.  He lost to Batman already, and knew as long as he was on Batman's team he'd never be good enough to graduate from being Robin, so he left to go join the teen titans and hopes he'll stand out, but Robin was already there training to be Batman, and that's when Dwight realized that he wasn't ever Robin... he was Beast Boy....

his philosophy of "I had to leave the Lakers. That way all the attention would be focused on me.  All the hate would be focused on me!! That way if I win a championship I'll be a legend!! I'll be a guy that left the Lakers willingly and won a championship without them!!"

Once again.. "pay attention to me" was the reasoning behind his decision.   What else is new?

Edited by Majesty, October 20, 2013 - 06:40 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#9 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,477 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 20, 2013 - 06:46 PM

He tried the F out of my favorite hero.  Stick to weak ass Superman.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#10 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,715 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted October 20, 2013 - 06:54 PM

teen titans was a great cartoon before they rebooted it lol

ap1.png

#11 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,039 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 20, 2013 - 07:01 PM

He needs to shut his damn mouth and just prove himself if he wants it all to stop. 

#12 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,223 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Win, then talk.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#13 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 20, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Does Dwight know that Batman came back to save the city after failing it? I don't think he watched the movie all the way through. 

#14 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,823 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 07:09 PM

im so tired of dwight, dude is such a baby

13z8pc6.jpg

#15 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,251 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:13 PM

Dwight is at the point where he really needs to shut up and let his play talk for him. No other "superstar" or "legend" would be saying this much in the situation he put himself in. He's acting like he is really close to becoming an all time great, HOW BOUT WINNING DWIGHT, WIN AND WE'LL ALL SHUT UP LIKE WE DID WITH LEBRON.

#16 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,212 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:15 PM

He got it all wrong :laughing:

#17 InterNLakerNajkihh

InterNLakerNajkihh

Rookie

• 389 posts
  • Name:Besnik
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:53 PM

I am starting to think that he is actually retarded 

#18 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,616 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted October 20, 2013 - 10:01 PM

Just win, seriously enough with the talk. You wanna be a legend, go win.

#19 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,043 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 20, 2013 - 10:16 PM

Didn't Batman also say "Gotham isn't beyond saving" when everything went wrong? ;)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#20 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,729 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 20, 2013 - 10:22 PM

another DH thread....lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users