• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,012 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted October 24, 2013 - 10:57 AM

New Mac books aren't too impressive, I'll probably end up with a non-retina display macbook

#22 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,016 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted October 24, 2013 - 11:35 AM

New Mac books aren't too impressive, I'll probably end up with a non-retina display macbook

Nice man, glad you found something that will work for you.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#23 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,303 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted October 24, 2013 - 01:54 PM

Have you considered a Chromebook.  You are locked into a Google platform for everything, but the advantages over a traditional laptop are huge.  They are really cheap, no sw updates to deal with, work on all docs in the cloud from any computer.  It cant be your only computer but for school applications, it should work just fine.  2 of my teenagers have them and like them alot.

Debbie Downer

#24 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted October 24, 2013 - 03:39 PM

Just ordered the new macbook

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#25 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 03:39 PM

I have to disagree

#26 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,410 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 24, 2013 - 06:03 PM

^of course you do lol

#27 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts

Posted October 25, 2013 - 11:04 PM

^of course you do lol

You don't get as much portability and battery life in any other laptop considering the performance is still rather good. I don't game on laptops. more of a console guy. I need it for photoshopping, editing, and other programs. The fact that they made it thinner, made it faster with more power with no battery life cost is applause worthy.

Edited by Ham, October 25, 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#28 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,012 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 08:40 AM

You don't get as much portability and battery life in any other laptop considering the performance is still rather good. I don't game on laptops. more of a console guy. I need it for photoshopping, editing, and other programs. The fact that they made it thinner, made it faster with more power with no battery life cost is applause worthy.

Starting at 128gb of storage kind of irks me. I guess I gotta go in store and really compare which model I want.

Let me know how yours is when it comes in

#29 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 03:52 PM

Starting at 128gb of storage kind of irks me. I guess I gotta go in store and really compare which model I want.

Let me know how yours is when it comes in

i got the intel i7

256 gb pcle flash 8 gig ram

with regular intel iris (13")

paid 1812 dollars

so far i havent lagged at all and i run pretty intensive software.

should last me a few years

the only thing i get annoyed with apple products is that i can't upgrade the RAM.

it is really light and thin for a pro. they don't over exaggerate with the battery life. its actually more or lesss 9 hours. osx mavericks is great!!

only had it for 8 hours. this is my first impression

considering you only neeed it work and stuff like that you should be good with a 4 gb ram. OSX does really well with ram usage. one of there sales pitch for mavericks was "you can use 6b of ram on 4 gb" forgot what allowed them to this

Edited by Ham, October 31, 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#30 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,012 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 06:20 PM

i got the intel i7
256 gb pcle flash 8 gig ram
with regular intel iris (13")

paid 1812 dollars

so far i havent lagged at all and i run pretty intensive software.

should last me a few years
the only thing i get annoyed with apple products is that i can't upgrade the RAM.

it is really light and thin for a pro. they don't over exaggerate with the battery life. its actually more or lesss 9 hours. osx mavericks is great!!

only had it for 8 hours. this is my first impression

considering you only neeed it work and stuff like that you should be good with a 4 gb ram. OSX does really well with ram usage. one of there sales pitch for mavericks was "you can use 6b of ram on 4 gb" forgot what allowed them to this

In your honest opinion, for a college student not running intensive programs - would you go with the air, pro retina, or the old pro?

#31 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,003 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 07:24 PM

My uncle gave me his ASUS and even though it has some hitches with it running, the battery life is amazing. I go atleast 3-4 hours on it non stop on campus and my battery life would still be more than half full.

After reading the rest of the thread, I have learned that I have extremely low expectations once it comes to technology lol.

Edited by Icker, October 31, 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#32 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 07:42 PM

In your honest opinion, for a college student not running intensive programs - would you go with the air, pro retina, or the old pro?

air = 12 hours battery life. currently only 2 lbs extremely portable. if you feel battery is more important go with. if you want the extra power go for the pro but you lose 3 hours of battery life. air would be fine but the pro is only like 200 extra 150 with student. 

the power is important in the long run.

air pretty decent for gaming if you look at the benchmarks surprisingly.

#33 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 07:43 PM

My uncle gave me his ASUS and even though it has some hitches with it running, the battery life is amazing. I go atleast 3-4 hours on it non stop on campus and my battery life would still be more than half full.

After reading the rest of the thread, I have learned that I have extremely low expectations once it comes to technology lol.

the newer asus laptops are extremely good. however, windows is a negative to me.

#34 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,003 posts

Posted October 31, 2013 - 08:39 PM

What's the knock on windows? Never really understood it, especially since it's the only software I've ever worked with.

#35 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 03:23 PM

What's the knock on windows? Never really understood it, especially since it's the only software I've ever worked with.

not a fan. hard to maintain, gets slower over time (especially if you DL a lot of music and movies), osx is better for the work environment especially for what i do. 

#36 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,012 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 06:43 PM

Just picked up a 13 inch Mac book pro with retina display. I have yet to open it, but I feel like I've made the right choice

#37 eZZy

eZZy

Off The Bench

• 1,697 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 02, 2013 - 07:46 PM

Just picked up a 13 inch Mac book pro with retina display. I have yet to open it, but I feel like I've made the right choice

You've made the right choice bro! It's amazing ;)

Edited by eZZy, November 02, 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#38 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,012 posts

Posted November 02, 2013 - 11:37 PM

It's fast as hell! If this thing lasts me throughout all of college and hopefully law school, I'll be very happy with the purchase.

Was kind of bummed at the flash storage only being at 128gb but I'll get some external storage soon, probably a terabyte or two

#39 eZZy

eZZy

Off The Bench

• 1,697 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 03, 2013 - 06:58 PM

It really is fast! ;)

There's one issue though, the trackpad and keyboard freezes up from time to time. Only way to fix it is by "force shutting down" your mac. But I've read somewhere that they're going to fix the issue as soon as possible. Enjoy your Mac ;) 

#40 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,012 posts

Posted November 03, 2013 - 11:15 PM

I've had to do that twice already today. Did read that the fix is on the way though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users