Photo

How Many Tabs Do You Keep Open On Average?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 12:24 AM

How many tabs do you generally tend to keep open on average?

I usually have about 16.

Some sites I keep open to refresh every now & then & check for updates while others I just use as reminders for any particular piece of media I find interesting, but don't have time to get to right away.

I suppose that's kinda what bookmarks can be used for as well, but I'm really sloppy with mine as it's just overwhelmingly full and I haven't been disciplined enough to make organized folders minimizing the chaotic disorder.

yo.

#2 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,948 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted October 19, 2013 - 12:26 AM

The domain is anywhere between 40-80 tabs. I actually have multiple monitors for this very reason (well, one reason) and had to switch to a treetab add-on so my tabs are listed vertically (you can fit more tabs on your screen vertically than you can horizontally). I usually have to start deciding what I want to do with the tabs when I wish to do something resource intensive.

*Edit

To further elaborate as to how and why this is possible, my daily routine consists of waking up, making tea, and spending an hour or so opening various current event articles in multiple tabs, ranging from politics and technology to sports and science. I only get through about 15% of the information in that hour because there are likely to be over 40 tabs open, with several of them being videos, some lengthy.

Then I have a separate window open with different tabs for school/work/network management. Interesting thread ;D

Edited by -Wade-, October 19, 2013 - 12:34 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#3 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted October 19, 2013 - 12:29 AM

Varies for me, when I am studying it is to the point I have to open other windows for relative subject matter.

On average, over 10 I'd say. I also tend that if I remotely read anything interesting ranging from scientific discoveries to something mysterious I will keep the tab and promise I'll come back to it later ( I tend to forget...).

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 12:35 AM

How often do you guys find yourselves working on something important per say & then easily getting distracted wandering off to something else off the subject at hand? How disciplined are you in that sense?

I also tend that if I remotely read anything interesting ranging from scientific discoveries to something mysterious I will keep the tab and promise I'll come back to it later ( I tend to forget...).

Same here. In fact, sometimes instead of bookmarking it I'll even put the computer on sleep through most of the night and get back on it later that way. Won't even go the restore session route or anything else.

yo.

#5 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,948 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 12:40 AM

How often do you guys find yourselves working on something important per say & then easily getting distracted wandering off to something else off the subject at hand? How disciplined are you in that sense?

Some people would call it getting distracted, others (like myself) might call it fine tuned multi tasking. I'm constantly multi-tasking. Some might accuse me of not being able to devote my attention toward one activity at a time, but that's actually not the case. I constantly prioritize my tasks as they come about. My attention is always focused on the most important task at hand. If something is due for work or school, that is my highest priority. So I'm usually sure to give more than 75% of my attention toward that task, unless time is against me. The other percent would be used toward switching between tabs and doing a different activity for a really brief period of time or listening to music. I just call it multi tasking.

Edited by -Wade-, October 19, 2013 - 12:41 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 12:47 AM

^ There has to be a fine line & proper balance though. I'm sure you have it as you explained clearly, but I don't think everyone can always say the same. There's many who probably aren't nearly as disciplined or strong-willed mentally to consistently prioritze what's most important.

I can't say I blame some of these folks though. I mean there's just an overwhelming amount of information and possibilities on the net.

That's why I always find it hard to fathom how anyone online especially can say they're just flat out bored. So much to experience & knowledge out there to gain, always. It seems never-ending.

yo.

#7 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,948 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 12:50 AM

I agree, and there is nothing wrong with experiencing more and learning more general knowledge. I'm a proponent of learning everything you can. If you don't know how an engine works and have some spare time, learn how an engine works. If you don't know how a refrigerator works and have some spare time, learn how a refrigerator works. That's just me, but my point is, the option to learn something new is always available (internet, library, etc.) and there is nothing wrong with learning something new. It should be encouraged and seeked upon everyday, imho.

wKNsigp.png

#8 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,875 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 19, 2013 - 12:57 AM

I try to limit them.  Just the other day, I was signed into 22 different salesmen emails, on three different browsers, with numerous Google Apps loaded for each...and I had up maybe eight sell sheets for products we're getting in, four Notepads up for coding three different pages (one CSS, three PHP), and another window open for a newsletter I was designing.  I found an email that contained a video for another new product (a concrete sealer), and so I dove into the site and wrote an article, embedded the video, and realized I was doing too much.

I suppose my issue is just stacking work, and then, I'll have one of our salesmen call me for tech issues, or someone asking me for something, and I have to pull my head out of it all.

#9 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,141 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 01:53 AM

About 15 at start of the day, then it keeps piling up as the day goes on. At the end of the day, I close the ones I'm finished with, then full circle.

#10 L@keRmade™

L@keRmade™

Lakers4life

• 921 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba

Posted October 19, 2013 - 03:05 AM

I usually never have more than 3 at a time, I will always close one when I want to go on something different and then go back to it later if I want to check it again.

Posted Image

#11 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,320 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 19, 2013 - 03:17 AM

4-5

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#12 InterNLakerNajkihh

InterNLakerNajkihh

Rookie

• 389 posts
  • Name:Besnik
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted October 19, 2013 - 03:26 AM

5/6 

but if I am looking for some info alot moree.. 

also if I am betting and look for stats/injuries that [expletive] gets out of hand

#13 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,112 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted October 19, 2013 - 05:54 AM

Pau Gasol is GONE

#14 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,226 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted October 19, 2013 - 06:26 AM

3-4

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#15 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 19, 2013 - 06:52 AM

1-2

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#16 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,230 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:03 AM

At work at least 7 at home it varies a great deal

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#17 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,876 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:00 AM

I would have to say about 8. Split between fantasy football stuff, and school things and this site of course

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#18 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,072 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:07 AM

About 3-4 at the most. When I'm doing schoolwork or journalism work that requires research and stuff, then I'd have about 8-10 tabs open.

#19 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,224 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted October 19, 2013 - 12:46 PM

About 4-5, sometimes when I'm on here for example I tend to open a bunch of threads at once so it goes past that. lol

EyMlHkX.jpg

#20 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted October 20, 2013 - 11:19 AM

When I'm working about 10-15. When I'm at home like 5.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users