Photo

Official Andrew Wiggins vs. Jabari Parker Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

• 40,375 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 10:08 PM

The nation has spoken and apparently they overwhelmingly love & prefer Jabari over Wiggins:

Hopefully the Lakers get the second pick....

http://espn.go.com/e...&pollId=4282423

Thoughts last stand?

yo.

#282 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,413 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 15, 2014 - 02:13 PM

10352400_778458628851478_278907550511382

#283 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,999 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 15, 2014 - 04:40 PM

we already know he can jump. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#284 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,413 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 15, 2014 - 05:13 PM

we already know he can jump. 

Doesn't change how crazy it is

#285 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,999 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 05:47 PM

For the record Wiggins vertical leap is 44 inches.   Compared to Blake Griffin's whose is 41 inches, and Michael Jordan's was 49. 

#286 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,832 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 07:40 PM

^ You mean prime Jordan was at 49? Big difference.

I just wish these NBA athletes use the amazing powerlifting techniques. They can add atleast 5 inches to their already incredible verticals.

#287 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,999 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 08:03 PM

^ You mean prime Jordan was at 49? Big difference.

I just wish these NBA athletes use the amazing powerlifting techniques. They can add atleast 5 inches to their already incredible verticals.

Yeah Prime Jordan had a 49 inch vertical.  That's flipping amazing lol when you think about it no one really has had it like that despite all these advancements in genetics and such.   Jordan just worked THAT much harder while being a genetic freak on top of that.    He was as much as it got.  6'6, his weight was on par, his hands could take up half the basketball AND he had a 49 inch vertical and killer mentality.   That basically means Jordan way back in the 80s could jump higher than Andrew Wiggins in 2014.  That's amazing to think about.  

Derrick Rose by comparison has a 45 inch vertical leap as well.  At least he did at the start of this season before his re-injury.  He'd increased his vertical by 5 inches with those techniques you are eluding to and his went from 40 to 45.   Shame he did get re-injured :(  
Considering how close Kobe is to Jordan despite the face he can't palm the ball like Jordan and's vertical leap is is 38 inches it puts things that much into perspective.

As much of a freakish athlete as LeBron is, obviously the most freakish small forward the league has ever seen, Jordan is still the most freakish genetic shooting guard the league has ever seen.    

LeBron's vertical is 44 by the way.  Same as Wiggins. 

#288 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,832 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 08:13 PM

I agree that Jordan is the better athlete Lebron, but as a physical specimen? Lebron has him beat, by a long shot. Lebron has a body like Karl Malone, but moves like Vince carter and plays like Magic. Just an incredible human being. You said yourself, a 44 inch vertical at 6'8 and 250 is just unheard of.

#289 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,999 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 08:28 PM

yeah in terms of athletic freaks of nature if we broke them down by position, Wilt would probably the Center, LeBron James would be the small forward, Michael Jordan would be the shooting guard, the Point Guard I think still has time to be established although I'd currently say Oscar Robertson as does the Power Forward imo.  Although Kemp in terms of an athletic monster is pretty darn close.

But LeBron's is DEFINITELY the most athletically freakish and gifted small forward.   

This picture says it all

lbjhighjump-1.png

So athletic freaks monsters  

Point Guard: Oscar Robertson 
Shooting Guard: Michael Jordan
Small Forward: LeBron James
Power Forward: to be decided
Center: Wilt Chamberlain  

Wilt's leaping ability(scary) 

And if you wonder why I said Oscar Robertson look here  45 seconds in

blocking a shot at the top of the square above the basket. 

He never used it unless he had to but DANG OSCAR!! 

#290 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,832 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 08:39 PM

Oh yeah, Wilt was the man. I read that he ran a 47 second 400, which is [expletive]ing amazing at his size. He was also getting contract offer going into his 50 and would dominate pick up games among NBA greats in his advanced age. [expletive]ing incredible lol. But yaa, I agree that Shawn Kemp would be the PF for the NBA genetic freaks team. He's the only that comes to mind at the moment.

Also, Wilt was one of the first NBA players to use weight training.

Edited by Icker, May 15, 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#291 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,999 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 08:56 PM

Oh yeah, Wilt was the man. I read that he ran a 47 second 400, which is [expletive]ing amazing at his size. He was also getting contract offer going into his 50 and would dominate pick up games among NBA greats in his advanced age. [expletive]ing incredible lol. But yaa, I agree that Shawn Kemp would be the PF for the NBA genetic freaks team. He's the only that comes to mind at the moment.

Also, Wilt was one of the first NBA players to use weight training.

Yep and when it comes to Oscar I think the greatest thing about him was he had all that "power" but he played under such control you never knew he had it till he used it.   There has rare been a more 'disciplined' player in the league. 

Makes you wonder what people and players like Westbrook would be if they had such control and patience and discipline. 

I think that's what makes Oscar special. He may have been the most athletically freaked and gifted point guard of all time..but you never knew it till he used it.  THAT is special..

#292 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,079 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted May 15, 2014 - 09:03 PM

any vert that is around 37 inches and up... is damn magical for me lol. I wonder how these guys would do as a WR... i highly doubt jordan had a 49inch vertical tbh

ap1.png

#293 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,999 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 09:08 PM

any vert that is around 37 inches and up... is damn magical for me lol. I wonder how these guys would do as a WR... i highly doubt jordan had a 49inch vertical tbh

He did.  

The three biggest vertical leaps on NBA record are Jordan's followed by Darrell Griffith at 48  and then Spud Webb at 46. 

Dominique Wilkins' was 42. 

Edited by Majesty, May 15, 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#294 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,832 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 09:14 PM

I think the difference is that the NBA measures thier vert by a running jump and the NFL does it stagnant. I think that adds to it, but even if Jordan did measure his stagnant, he could accomplish a 49 inch vert.

I mean hell, I'm pretty sure megatron measures at 45+ at the moment.

#295 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,567 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted May 15, 2014 - 10:55 PM

I think the difference is that the NBA measures thier vert by a running jump and the NFL does it stagnant. I think that adds to it, but even if Jordan did measure his stagnant, he could accomplish a 49 inch vert.

I mean hell, I'm pretty sure megatron measures at 45+ at the moment.

Basketball players carry much less upp er body weight, its easier for them to have higher leaps than it is for NFL players who need the extra bulk to keep their skull connected to their spine when they get hit lol

#296 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,999 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 03:40 AM

Basketball players carry much less upp er body weight, its easier for them to have higher leaps than it is for NFL players who need the extra bulk to keep their skull connected to their spine when they get hit lol

Randy Moss's vertical was 51 btw. 

#297 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,832 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 04:33 PM

I remember reading around these forums that you're a weightlifting guy, so you should understand what i mean with what I say nest. I think all that extra chesticles weight isn't an excuse what-so-ever if these athletes adopt the proper weightlifting techniques. One of the biggest observation I took from watching the NBA combine is that they aren't nearly as explosive or well put together as NFL guys. NFL players do their standing vert stagnant off 2 feet and still hit the same height as these NBA guys getting a head-start.

Like I said earlier, if NBA players start to develop these powerlifting techniques, thier athleticism would be off the charts good. It's sad that they do not utilize these advancements in weightlifting to thier advantage. Personally, I'm just a regular joe, who i feel is a below-average athlete lol and can still get up to 27 inches off the ground stagnant off 2 feet. That makes me NBA average, which I think its pretty disappointing consider to how high of standards I hold these NBA guys to. 

#298 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,567 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted May 16, 2014 - 05:36 PM

I remember reading around these forums that you're a weightlifting guy, so you should understand what i mean with what I say nest. I think all that extra chesticles weight isn't an excuse what-so-ever if these athletes adopt the proper weightlifting techniques. One of the biggest observation I took from watching the NBA combine is that they aren't nearly as explosive or well put together as NFL guys. NFL players do their standing vert stagnant off 2 feet and still hit the same height as these NBA guys getting a head-start.

Like I said earlier, if NBA players start to develop these powerlifting techniques, thier athleticism would be off the charts good. It's sad that they do not utilize these advancements in weightlifting to thier advantage. Personally, I'm just a regular joe, who i feel is a below-average athlete lol and can still get up to 27 inches off the ground stagnant off 2 feet. That makes me NBA average, which I think its pretty disappointing consider to how high of standards I hold these NBA guys to.

One thing you gotta note is how hard it is to maintain your shot while trying to put on weight. I play ball and lift weights and I'llbe the first to tell you it's almost impossible to shoot as well as guys who don't lift and just shoot all day.

Taking that into consideration, guards don't want to shoot down their draft stock by bulking up and shooting a horrible percentage in their last years of college.

The only guys you really see coming into the league already lifting are euro big men cause they know that they likely havent been prepared as well as college guys have so they try to out muscle them instead.

But in general, adding muscle will slow you down. Lifting to get quick and explosive might lead to becoming out of control and would take extra work to adjust. Most guys out of college don't have the patience or the work ethic to go bezerk in the weight room and at practice.

Rumor has it that LeBron didn't even lift weights until coming to the league. Most don't.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users