#1 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,188 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted October 17, 2013 - 09:15 AM

ubuntuforphone.jpg

After a long period of developer (and enthusiast) previews, Ubuntu 13.10 for smartphones, as well as desktops, is finally available as a stable release. The gesture-heavy, Linux-based mobile OS still doesn't have an official hardware home -- if you'll remember, Canoncial's Indiegogo bid for the Ubuntu Edge failed to meet its lofty goals -- but there are a couple of devices that can run the OS. Google's Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 are both officially supported

More at the link http://www.engadget....-available-now/

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#2 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,875 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted October 17, 2013 - 01:35 PM

<3 Linux, I hope to see more distros making the mobile leap. We're already seeing gaming making its way to linux, pretty exciting.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

• 40,395 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 01:38 PM

Ubuntu? WTF? Of all names ubuntu? Celtics? Really? Depressing memories of their championship run over us? Smh.

yo.

#4 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,132 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 01:50 PM

Ubuntu has been around for like 10 years...

hR3rI.png

• 40,395 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 01:54 PM

I know that. I'm aware of the greater long history behind it, but as a hardcore Laker fan, I can't help but reminded of the pain those green bastards caused in their run against us because of it. A video was even made in tribute to it:

_http://youtu.be/s2DW51w1vSc

yo.

#6 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,623 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 17, 2013 - 02:17 PM

One of the biggest problems with linux was the struggle for profit. When I heard they were going to make a phone I got interested though they fell way short of there 32 mill goal from kickstarter. 

Problem with linux will be its allot of promises of profit for business but it always falls short. For example VA linux many years ago with there massive stock value and when their quartiles  came out (made no profit) they lost all there stockholders. 

The OS is seems cool but again most people aren't going to go out of there way to install it on there phone. It will be for the programmers and IT people like most linux users. 

#7 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,633 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted October 17, 2013 - 06:37 PM

When I built my computer I left about 100 gb of space for an extra partition to run some open source Ubuntu. I must say it was cool, and pretty quick, but it was a pain having to externally download every program so that it could install in a way that Linux recognizes it.

In a perfect world, everyone would know basic knowledge of open-source operating systems and would run it seamlessly, removing any error they come across.

In the real world, everyone loves simplicity and having their operating system figure everything out for them, without having to manually incorporate everything. This is the reason why Apple products sell the way they do.

#8 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,875 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 10:57 AM

Linux powers > 75% of servers. While I don't see the average business or individual migrating over to linux anytime soon for reasons already mentioned in this thread (people like simplicity+automation), linux will continue to be an important backbone for technology of the future that many everyday users will continue to take for granted.

It also has the potential to be a great resource for poorer countries. An ARM Linux box is 1/8th the cost of the average PC and you aren't paying $100+ per OS.

Edited by -Wade-, October 18, 2013 - 11:07 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#9 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,188 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 12:48 PM

<3 Linux, I hope to see more distros making the mobile leap. We're already seeing gaming making its way to linux, pretty exciting.

Agree'd

21lsbya.jpg

#10 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,875 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 05:17 PM

The Navy’s newest warship is powered by Linux

When the USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000) puts to sea later this year, it will be different from any other ship in the Navy's fleet in many ways. The $3.5 billon ship is designed for stealth, survivability, and firepower, and it's packed with advanced technology. And at the heart of its operations is a virtual data center powered by off-the-shelf server hardware, various flavors of Linux, and over 6 million lines of software code.

Read more: http://arstechnica.c...wered-by-linux/

wKNsigp.png

#11 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,188 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Linux is everywhere really

21lsbya.jpg

#12 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,803 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:57 PM

ive been dual booting my laptop between using windows and ubuntu since 2009, and for the past few months have been using it exclusively

its crazy how much you can get for free

13z8pc6.jpg

#13 JSaber20

JSaber20

Rookie

• 727 posts
  • Name:Jaime
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Big Game James Worthy

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:38 PM

One of the biggest problems with linux was the struggle for profit. When I heard they were going to make a phone I got interested though they fell way short of there 32 mill goal from kickstarter. 

Problem with linux will be its allot of promises of profit for business but it always falls short. For example VA linux many years ago with there massive stock value and when their quartiles  came out (made no profit) they lost all there stockholders. 

The OS is seems cool but again most people aren't going to go out of there way to install it on there phone. It will be for the programmers and IT people like most linux users. 

I'm kinda confused, "Linux" didn't make a phone, Canonical did, Linux its just the free open source kernel/OS that companies like Canonical can build upon, they're not going to make big profit because It's free software that they have to allow to be open source.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux, ubuntu, phones, smartphones, mobile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users