Photo

LeBron Acknowledges His Killer Instinct Differs From Kobe & Jordan; Defends It

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

• 40,450 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 09:40 PM

“I’ll just put it this way, man. There are different ways to hunt. I watch the Discovery Channel all the time, and you look at all these animals in the wild. And they all hunt a different way to feed their families. They all kill a different way. Lions do it strategically — two females will lead, and then everybody else will come in. Hyenas will just go for it. There are different ways to kill, and I don’t think people understand that. Everybody wants everybody to kill the same way. Everybody wants everybody to kill like MJ or kill like Kobe. Magic didn’t kill the way they killed. Does that mean he didn’t have a killer instinct? Kareem didn’t either. But does that mean Kareem didn’t have a killer instinct? The same with Bird. That doesn’t mean you don’t have a killer instinct. Tim Duncan don’t kill like Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant, but I’ve played against Tim Duncan twice in the Finals and I know for sure he’s got a killer instinct.”

ScreenShot2012-12-29at4.38.52PM_original

Read more at http://blacksportson...QGgkp3VumCQ2.99

yo.

#2 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,336 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted October 15, 2013 - 09:49 PM

i think LB killer instinct should be put to rest by now. I still want to beat him in the finals with our squad or have him win with us

ap1.png

• 40,450 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 09:51 PM

^ He almost choked again in the finals against the Spurs in large stretches, but was ultimately bailed out & saved in numerous ways both partly from the Spurs & his teammates & enough to give him the chance to somewhat redeem himself, but there were plenty of moments where it was not looking good for him. As dominant & good as he is, it was exposed in that series especially, that he can still be quite vulnerable.

yo.

#4 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 15, 2013 - 09:53 PM

He doesn't even need to address this. It's a fool's errand and he's getting sucked right into it. 

• 40,450 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 09:54 PM

^ You're right, but even then I do appreciate the candid response with thought-provoking comparisons.

yo.

#6 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 475 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted October 15, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Honestly other than the 2011 finals I never really considered LeBron a choker. That is the only time I will admit that LeBron actually choked.

#7 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 15, 2013 - 09:58 PM

^ You're right, but even then I do appreciate the candid response with thought-provoking comparisons.

I'm not hating his answer, but he's just giving his dissenters more things to dissect. It never ends when you keep throwing wood into the fire. 

#8 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,336 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted October 15, 2013 - 10:04 PM

^ He almost choked again in the finals against the Spurs in large stretches, but was ultimately bailed out & saved in numerous ways both partly from the Spurs & his teammates & enough to give him the chance to somewhat redeem himself, but there were plenty of moments where it was not looking good for him. As dominant & good as he is, it was exposed in that series especially, that he can still be quite vulnerable.

I agree. Game 6 was just amazing with his turnovers. But, ultimately he got the job done.

ap1.png

#9 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,104 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 15, 2013 - 10:42 PM

actually LeBron, Bird was like MJ and Kobe. to a T

i mean he wasn't as good as those two and magic was better wheras Kobe and Mj were the best of their generation, but kobe,LB and MJ all have the same type of personalities/killer instinct

Larry Bird is the...

Nevermind

• 40,450 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 10:57 PM

Larry Bird is the...

Nevermind

Michael Jordan with... nevermind

:hmm:

yo.

#11 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted October 16, 2013 - 12:17 AM

In reality if he never pushed the Jordan persona as much as he did, then most fans wouldn't be nearly as critical.

Bird was clutch and killer, and still had an all around game, ahem...

#12 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,129 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 16, 2013 - 07:42 AM

Wasn't all or most of his doing.  The media created the hype.  The kid was 18 at the time, not much he could do but soak it up.  He's met the expectations and still has a chance to exceed them.  He would do good by just ignoring the stupid conversation of "killer instinct" and "clutch".  That debate in sports is so tiring and stupid. 

In reality if he never pushed the Jordan persona as much as he did, then most fans wouldn't be nearly as critical.

Bird was clutch and killer, and still had an all around game, ahem...

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#13 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,545 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 16, 2013 - 08:12 AM

LeBron likes to talk a lot.

#14 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,609 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 16, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Magic had killer instinct, but he was a point guard, so he could kill you by forcing you to commit or finding the right teammate to break your heart, or doing it himself, that's pretty much what Magic's job was, he didn't break his role because it would have hurt the team if he just forced something up.

And yes Kareem DID kill teams with the same instinct that Michael and Kobe do, so I don't know where LeBron got that from.

Larry Bird didn't kill teams the same way???? Is he serious???

Duncan doesn't?  Really??   

I don't get what LeBron is getting at, he's trying to take player roles on the team and say "See they all killed teams differently. But it doesn't mean they don't have killer instinct." 

First of all, Jordan, Bird, Kareem, Kobe ALL beat teams with that instinct and they did it by scoring on them, in big moments and breaking their heart.  It was their jobs on their team, as primary scorer.   Occasionally they'd make a pass to an open teammate because it would be a better shot than forcing it 4 on 1 but most of the time they'd be taking it. 

Magic was the point guard, he could kill teams by taking a big shot but he could do it just the same by drawing defensive attention and finding a cutting teammate.  When you have teammates like Magic did that's understandable, especially since he was the point guard.

Magic killed a team by playing 5 positions in his rookie year with no Kareem and winning in the finals.  

To act like Magic couldn't have killed in the same ways with his instinct is ignorant, he never smiled when they were losing and was always trying to win by any means necessary and he could be a mean critter too if he needed to be.

So I have no idea the point LeBron is trying to make..  Is he trying to defend guys like Dwight Howard or something?   

Let's not forget LeBron had to put away all the smiling and dancing and playful attitude too to win his first championship.  

So the fact he acts like "oh I didn't have to kill like those other guys did"

Yes you did.  Or you'd have never gotten past the Celtics, OKC, nor the Spurs last year.

This is another reason why it's very hard for me to like LeBron, he can say some of the stupidest things he doesn't even have to address and try to make his situation 'unique' when it really isn't.  He had to put away the childish mindset and become the man and main killer on his team as he was the MAIN option or they wouldn't have won the championships they have, bottom line. 

The fact that "Bird and Kareem" didn't kill in the same ways that Jordan and Kobe did is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read come out of an individual's mouth.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#15 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,520 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted October 16, 2013 - 12:47 PM

I'm thinking he means how they show emotion on the court. He's not as fierce as Jordan. And I feel, this may sound funny, but him leaving his headband off was in a way, his Kobe face. You can't tell me he wasn't focused & into the game at that time. 

They said he couldn't shoot, force him to take the jumper.... dude was burying them. 

They say he doesn't have a killer instinct so now he's addressing this. Magic tweeted co-signing LeBrons statement. 

2hf753r.jpg

• 40,450 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 03:19 AM

Lebron: Doesn't Have A "Jordan-like" Killer Instinct

Edited by    , October 18, 2013 - 03:19 AM.

yo.

#17 Hero

Hero

Where imaginations run wild

• 2,579 posts
  • Name:Jerome
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted October 21, 2013 - 07:02 AM

We know what you can do Lebron. You've already proven it. Killer instinct or not, you're going down as one of the best who have ever played the game of basketball.

spupissuelo.gif

RIP Dad. I miss you so very much...

July 27, 2011 4:00 AM.

#18 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,520 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted October 22, 2013 - 12:42 PM

^ Skip Bayless doesn't want to hear that ish! He's constantly searching for things to nit pick. 

2hf753r.jpg

#19 Hero

Hero

Where imaginations run wild

• 2,579 posts
  • Name:Jerome
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted October 28, 2013 - 08:38 AM

My hate for Lebron James has died down considerably. Great things happen when you win, and he's proven himself 2 years in a row. That's a great way to shut up detractors. I respect him more for that, but with the way he's handling things, it's almost like he has no PR team to advise him. It's childish to say the least.

spupissuelo.gif

RIP Dad. I miss you so very much...

July 27, 2011 4:00 AM.

#20 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 28, 2013 - 10:07 AM

He stepped up in Game 7 when it counted so I don't really question his killer instinct anymore. Do I think it's on part with Jordan/Kobe? No, but then again, that's why they are simply a tier above all other NBA players. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users