Photo

4K Blu-Ray: By When Can We Expect Current Blu-Ray To Become Obsolete & Make The Move Over To 4K?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

• 40,377 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 12:51 PM

By when can we expect current blu-ray & blu-ray players to become somewhat obsolete & make the next move/progression to 4K? Will there be once again only one definitive blu-ray standard? No competition-like HD-DVD this time around at least to start? Could the blu-ray have a potential slight name change as well?

Also, will you be looking forward to it & ready to make the move immediately?

yo.

#2 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,778 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted October 14, 2013 - 01:01 PM

We can expect to move to higher resolutions rather shortly. The progression of technology is slightly disturbing if you look at it from a mathematical point of view. 50 years ago, the doubling rate of technology was over one hundred years. Huge advancements that no one could have ever predicted happened and the doubling rate of technology is currently 2 years. This means, in 2 years you can expect ALL of your current technology to be considered obsolete, by technical definition.

Japan is already saying they will broadcast every station in 8K by 2020. Sharp recently showcased an 80 inch 8K TV prototype while 16K resolution is already being worked on. The key in broadcasting and transmitting all of this ultra high definition content without lag will be super fast networks, meaning everyone will be making the switch to gigabit/fiberoptics probably by 2020. They are already working on DNA Computers (biochips) that are faster than all of the world's current super computers, theoretically capable of solving The Travelling Salesman problem in 3 seconds. Our current super computers need about 300 years to solve that problem. It is projected that by 2020, the doubling rate of technology will be about 18 months. It's just crazy.

Edited by -Wade-, October 14, 2013 - 01:01 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

• 40,377 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 01:10 PM

Broadcasting in 8K for Japan by 2020? Damn, I doubt we go that far, sadly. I mean pathetic enough, we can't even broadcast everything in 1080p, instead 1080i. I don't think I've ever fully understood the reasoning behind that. Do you think you can maybe explain it better in short/summary Wade?

yo.

#4 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,339 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Most people today probably couldn't tell the difference between 720P and 1080P on TV's that aren't gigantic. I hope 4k comes out and is popular, so I can get 1080P cheaper.

• 40,377 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 05:10 PM

^ So you wouldn't want the latest? 4 times the resolution?

yo.

#6 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,166 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted October 14, 2013 - 05:31 PM

I agree 100% with Wade about how fast tech changes but its still a consumer driven world. I don't see 4K making current HD obsolete as far as everyone having it until it hits a price point where the general public can afford it.

In the view of just specs yes current HD will be ,Ade obsolete quickly but that's just how it is. I remember growing up KB of ram was sufficient now my tablet I'm using now has 2 GB of RAM

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#7 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,778 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted October 14, 2013 - 05:36 PM

I agree 100% with Wade about how fast tech changes but its still a consumer driven world. I don't see 4K making current HD obsolete as far as everyone having it until it hits a price point where the general public can afford it.

In the view of just specs yes current HD will be ,Ade obsolete quickly but that's just how it is. I remember growing up KB of ram was sufficient now my tablet I'm using now has 2 GB of RAM

Ikr? I remember when my 128mhz processor was a big deal. Technology is getting smaller and more powerful at a very rapid rate (some of IBM's first computers were the size of buildings, afterall).

Edited by -Wade-, October 14, 2013 - 05:37 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#8 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,166 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted October 14, 2013 - 05:52 PM

Ikr? I remember when my 128mhz processor was a big deal. Technology is getting smaller and more powerful at a very rapid rate (some of IBM's first computers were the size of buildings, afterall).

Yea its crazy I remember growing up my first computer was a huge hand me down Tandy that ran DOS lol

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#9 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,096 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 10:13 PM

800px-Digital_video_resolutions_%28VCD_t

for some reason this image cracks me up. :laughing: damn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users