Photo

Lakers looking to make significant trade before start of season?

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#121 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 6,001 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted October 17, 2013 - 11:46 AM

I will say this to agree with Windu.  Pau is complete bull[expletive] on defense.  It amazes me that guys like Majesty want Melo at the 4 with Pau as our center.  You know how awful that defense would look?  Westbrook and other PnR guards would feast on this team.

He needs a strong defensive post presence on the opposite of him. Him manning the paint by himself is a scary sight! lol

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#122 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 17, 2013 - 02:35 PM

Pau is still the most skilled big in the league, but he just doesn't have it anymore. I actually still like him, but now it's more because he seems like a decent human being with all his humanitarian efforts.

So tired of people saying he's the most skilled big man in the league. Whats skills does he bring now? He is an awful outside shooter. Refuses to post and when he does he usually takes fade aways. He is a horrible defender. He is a horrible rebounder. Oh but he can pass right. Because its so essential to have out center be a great passer. 

Pau gasol is the biggest reason why we are int he situation we are in. We have close to 20 mill in a guy who on allot of teams wouldn't even start. He mopes around and brings in a soft attitude. If people really think he's going to turn things around this year they will be in for a rude surprise. 

#123 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 17, 2013 - 02:36 PM

He needs a strong defensive post presence on the opposite of him. Him manning the paint by himself is a scary sight! lol

Even when he had howard he made our defense [expletive]. 

#124 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,010 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 17, 2013 - 10:21 PM

If the front office doubt whether they can or want to keep Pau going forward he should be moved.

It's bad enough that Dwight left for nothing when we probably could have had Horford/Korver, Griffin/Bledsoe or Asik/Lin, but letting Pau go for nothing as well would suck.

#125 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted October 17, 2013 - 10:22 PM

nothing from nothing leaves nothing

Pau Gasol is GONE

#126 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 22,434 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted October 18, 2013 - 04:14 PM

nothing from nothing leaves nothing

2 rings aren't nothing.

This isn't MDA we're talking about here.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#127 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:53 PM

2 rings aren't nothing.

This isn't MDA we're talking about here.

That was then...way back then. Dude was nothing (talking about him as a basketball player) before MDA was even thought about.

Edited by Windu, October 18, 2013 - 08:54 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#128 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted October 18, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Gasol's value has increased, slightly, since we've lost Howard.  That's common knowledge.  Having Gasol is better than having Ryan Kelly...let's put it that way.  It's not even up for debate: Gasol is the best big on our roster.

The mistake?  We are likely going to play him and Kaman together, and that means Gasol will once again be slotted at the four.  He was not a legitimate PF back in 2011, and he's not one today.  His physical abilities have dipped, drastically, since 2008, and that hurts him on both ends of the court when he's playing against the smaller, faster, hybrid forwards...especially on the defensive end.

So, will Gasol be traded before the start of the season?  I don't see why we would make a deal, unless we're ripping a team off big time...and for Gasol, it seems unlikely.

Here's the plan: we play out the season, Gasol expires, we use cap to go after big FA's for the next two seasons, and if Pau decides to stay in Los Angeles, he can take a massive pay cut and play limited minutes at the center position...especially if we have a defensive-minded PG coming in, or a defender at the three or four, to make up for what Gasol lacks as an anchor.

#129 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,139 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 18, 2013 - 09:10 PM

When Kaman and Gasol play together, Gasol seems to be more the 5 than the 4, Kaman seems more the 4. 

But you did say Jordan Hill should back up both bigs. So naturally Gasol and Kaman should play together in said circumstances, but I haven't seen Pau lack post attempts, actually more than he got when he played a 4 because of Kaman's ability to shoot and pass which is a good thing.  I think it will depend on matchup. 

Because against Denver, when Faried was on Gasol and McGee was on Kaman, Gasol was posting up most of the time, when it was the other way around It was Kaman posting.   Looks better than Gasol has been used thus far.

But I agree with everything else you're saying :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#130 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted October 18, 2013 - 09:30 PM

Kaman will end up being nearly as big of a defensive liability at the four (as Gasol is when he's there), so there's really little difference.  Defense is my concern.  I know we have a team full of inconsistent scorers, a superstar (hopefully he's still one) and a super-old PG, but defensive-minded teams can get away with that.

If we can't defend, we will lose at least half of our games.

This is why I wanted a guy like Favors to fall into our hands before Utah paid him big bucks (and for him, the 4-year, $50 million is hefty, now that tax penalties are maxed), but it's another we didn't pursue (or may have, but didn't have the goods to get Utah to bite).

I know everyone is now on the Carmelo train, but I'll stay off it.  Out of all the all-stars and superstars that will be free agents in 2014 and 2015, he's near the bottom of my list...and I would rather construct a team that won't have to play through him, than to have him and a couple other contributing players that can't be used correctly.

• 40,604 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 10:48 PM

He mopes around. 

:laughing: I love how you put that. It's true though. Generally he's too much of a nice guy on the court as well as he is off it. He brings that softness along. It'd be nice to see him get meaner out there & play with more of an edge, but it's just not who he is nor will probably ever be anymore.

Only time we legitimately saw that consistently was against Boston & KG specifically when we got our revenge. That was simply an amazing version of Pau. He wasn't taking [expletive] from no one. Highly doubt we'll ever see that again sadly.

yo.

#132 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,516 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted October 18, 2013 - 11:40 PM

I know everyone is now on the Carmelo train, but I'll stay off it. Out of all the all-stars and superstars that will be free agents in 2014 and 2015, he's near the bottom of my list...and I would rather construct a team that won't have to play through him, than to have him and a couple other contributing players that can't be used correctly.

Bingo.

#133 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,490 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:07 AM

I think we pull of some trade this year.

Lets say Jordan Hill, Blake and Meeks for- defensive big

#134 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hill should stay...

Pau Gasol is GONE

#135 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,490 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 19, 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hill should stay...

I agree but u always have to lose something.

I would sacrifice Hill for a Very good rim protector.

#136 RobBlake

RobBlake

Sixth Man

• 2,841 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted October 23, 2013 - 02:05 AM

Mitch get hibbert lol

ap1.png

#137 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 536 posts
  • Name:Simon
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted October 23, 2013 - 02:37 AM

See the latest rumour lel:

NBA Rumors: Lakers Considering Trading Pau Gasol To Celtics For Rajon Rondo?

http://www.opposingv...ics-rajon-rondo

Edited by muncher, October 23, 2013 - 02:37 AM.

#138 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,010 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted October 23, 2013 - 03:39 AM

See the latest rumour lel:

NBA Rumors: Lakers Considering Trading Pau Gasol To Celtics For Rajon Rondo?

http://www.opposingv...ics-rajon-rondo

This is written right in the middle:

Let’s be clear: this isn’t going to happen

#139 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,354 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted October 23, 2013 - 09:57 AM

It would be sooo stupid to trade Pau for Rondo rightnow, considering the fact that our backcourt would be in question with Kobe and Rondo

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#140 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,849 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted October 23, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Be great to start the rebuild.  This team isn't winning a ring this year or next year (unless Lebron falls in our lap) so why not?

It would be sooo stupid to trade Pau for Rondo rightnow, considering the fact that our backcourt would be in question with Kobe and Rondo

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users