Photo

Lakers looking to make significant trade before start of season?

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#41 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,222 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 04:31 PM

No thanks.

#42 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,518 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 14, 2013 - 04:41 PM

It's amazing that guys think GMs are dumb enough to trade a young quality all star potential like PG for Pau at this stage.  Lets go over the list of guys that fit this criteria

Wall, Kyrie, Russ, Rondo, Lillard, Rose, Lawson, Conley...this isnt all but we'll used them for kicks.

Why would Washington, Cleveland, Portland, DEN, MEM or Chicago take back Pau for those guys?  The Rondo story from 2 years ago is a wash as well.  Why would Boston trade Rondo for Pau in a rebuild?  Rondo could easily net the C's a young package of guys or another young guy they could be a part of their core going forward. 

Another thing to consider is, if they trade Pau at this point thats pretty much the ultimate tank move and if you want to rush Kobe into retirement might as well go ahead and do that. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#43 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,005 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:07 PM

It's amazing that guys think GMs are dumb enough to trade a young quality all star potential like PG for Pau at this stage. Lets go over the list of guys that fit this criteria

Wall, Kyrie, Russ, Rondo, Lillard, Rose, Lawson, Conley...this isnt all but we'll used them for kicks.

Why would Washington, Cleveland, Portland, DEN, MEM or Chicago take back Pau for those guys? The Rondo story from 2 years ago is a wash as well. Why would Boston trade Rondo for Pau in a rebuild? Rondo could easily net the C's a young package of guys or another young guy they could be a part of their core going forward.

Another thing to consider is, if they trade Pau at this point thats pretty much the ultimate tank move and if you want to rush Kobe into retirement might as well go ahead and do that.

I'm fine with Kobe retiring if it meant a better team sooner. I'm not down with this whole 2012 Dallas maverick method of rebuilding.

#44 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,180 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Not really. Trading Pau = The team is trying to get better.

If Kobe wants to retire cause we get rid of a guy that's hindering him from attaining that coveted 6th ring, then adios. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,556 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:26 PM

I'm fine with Kobe retiring.

Sounds like you either take Kobe for granted, won't miss him much, or both.

yo.

#46 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,005 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:33 PM

Lol I absolutely adore Kobe. I love everything about the man, man crush level 500 on the guy. Doesn't change the fact before everything else, I'm a laker fan first. I'll accept any move as long as it's to improve the team(well any move except getting Lebron, I can't stand the guy and I'm too much of a Kobe fan to accept him lol). So if the Lakers believe if it's in their best interest to trade for prospects and throw Kobe's injury season away, I'm all for it.

#47 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,554 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:33 PM

Yeah cause to get a trade for young scoring PG would be with a trade only consisting of Pau.

Come on man.. Pau could a part of the trade. Trades aren't just two players...

Edited by Ham, October 14, 2013 - 07:34 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#48 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,191 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:35 PM

It's amazing that guys think GMs are dumb enough to trade a young quality all star potential like PG for Pau at this stage.  Lets go over the list of guys that fit this criteria

Why would Washington, Cleveland, Portland, DEN, MEM or Chicago take back Pau for those guys?  The Rondo story from 2 years ago is a wash as well.  Why would Boston trade Rondo for Pau in a rebuild?  Rondo could easily net the C's a young package of guys or another young guy they could be a part of their core going forward. 

Rondo is the one with the biggest chance of happening.

1. They don't know how he'll return from the injury or if he'll be the same player.
2.  The Celtics are tanking.  It's pretty obvious, they are going after Wiggins.   If Rondo doesn't look up to par they WILL part with him after that injury.
3.  If the Lakers traded away Pau and got Rondo. 

it would have to be a package.    So I'm gonna go hypothetics(I'm just gonna do hypothetics cause I think Pau is staying but for the sake of playing advocate)

Let's look at the people Boston refuses to play.

Marshon Brooks, Jared Sullinger, Jordan Crawford, Rajon Rondo.  

That's who they'd unload, we'd likely unload Pau and someone else(like Blake or Meeks) and with Blake's they could absorb it with the leftover from Pierce's for that.

At that point the Celtics would have Pau's 19 million coming off the books the next season as well as not having to deal with Rondo's 11 million for the next 2 years, as well as Humpries 12 million also coming off the books. 

At that point the only high paid player on the Celtics is Gerald Wallace and his 10 million over 3 years.  Question is could they amnesty him?  Not sure.

Anwyay that would clear the Celtics book, and if they were to bring in Wiggins they'd have enough money to bring in another talent as all that money would be off the books Humpries 12 million is off the books, Rondo's 11 million is off the books. 

It's very feasible that they'd make that deal for the sake of tanking and attempting for Wiggins especially if they know Rondo isn't coming back after his contract is up.

Now, in the Lakers situation what would they have.  They'd have lost Pau and Blake.    But they'd have gained Rondo, and Marshon Brooks as well as Sullinger and Crawford.  At that point they have a team option on Sullinger after this next year, Crawford is gone at the end of the season, all that remains would be Brooks and Rondo.

They'd still have enough to compensate someone like Carmelo, and if Rondo is already here and Kobe for sure is returning it makes that much more enticing.

If Nick Young picks up the player option then you have something really.

At that point it's about having enough money to re-sign Hill and the other young guys that pan out.  

If you re-sign Hill, bring back Henry and Johnson, Williams(shall they pan out) then your only issue at that point is whether Kaman comes back or not. 

So your team then looks like this

Rondo, Nash, Farmar
Kobe, Young, Brooks

Johnson, Henry
Williams, Sullinger

Kaman, Hill, Sacre

Not terrible, the glaring thing would be no Pau Gasol and Williams being moved to start.  But if you bring in Carmelo(which you would have enough to do even after getting Rondo) the lineup becomes this.

Rondo, Nash, Farmar
Kobe, Young, Brooks

Johnson, Henry
Anthony, Williams, Sullinger

Kaman, Hill, Sacre

There's 14 guys. 

Does that team contend is the question.   Are they surrounded with enough youth to carry them on.

Well I'd say if Johnson, Young, Henry and Williams all panned out to deserve re-signs I'd say so.

But that's a BIG IF.   However that team is depthful and could probably do some damage.

Now I DON'T expect the Lakers to do this, but I wouldn't put it past them to entertain it if worst came to worst with Gasol in terms of him not taking a paycut next season.

If the Lakers are mid season and they can't seem to get Pau to commit to take less to come back next year, and rondo is still a question mark I don't doubt that they'd dangle Pau's in front of Boston(especially if he's playing well) and see if they bit. 

I don't know if Boston would.  But to play advocate, the scenario I gave is the one they'd likely take(aside from a 3rd team being involved to take Sullinger instead of the Lakers taking them). 

We'd probably wind up losing our 2014 first round draft pick for that deal too but I didn't include it.  But there is your most likely scenario if it came to landing Rondo.

Do with it what you will.  Personally I don't see it.  But there it is.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#49 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Eh, I doubt anything comes of this. 

#50 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,253 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:56 PM

C'mon guys, of all the fan bases in sports we should be the most immune to this kind if a report.

Edited by MrKnowItAll, October 14, 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#51 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,253 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted October 14, 2013 - 08:00 PM

I think if the celtics were tanking they'd want to trade rondo for picks and maybe a young guy or two. I know Pau is a nice expiring contract but the celtics want to lose as many games as possible and Pau will obviously help them win a few games easily

#52 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,329 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted October 14, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Lol I absolutely adore Kobe. I love everything about the man, man crush level 500 on the guy. Doesn't change the fact before everything else, I'm a laker fan first. I'll accept any move as long as it's to improve the team(well any move except getting Lebron, I can't stand the guy and I'm too much of a Kobe fan to accept him lol). So if the Lakers believe if it's in their best interest to trade for prospects and throw Kobe's injury season away, I'm all for it.

If you're really a Laker fan first, you embrace Lebron when he comes here.

#53 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,005 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Lol no, I'll refuse to be a Laker fan if they disrespect thier best player in franchise history by bringing that trash in. You still have to respect the man.

• 40,556 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 08:23 PM

Eh, I doubt anything comes of this. 

Hardly ever does, especially at this time of year. Doesn't seem to hold much sense.

yo.

#55 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,191 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Lol no, I'll refuse to be a Laker fan if they disrespect thier best player in franchise history by bringing that trash in. You still have to respect the man.

Tell me how it disrespects Kobe by pairing Lebron with him....

Would it have been disrespectful to Michael if Magic had joined the Bulls or if Jordan had joined the Lakers(like he initially wanted).

Working on my MJ book. MJ deeply wanted to be a Laker, from his childhood right through UNC. Imagine that, if you will.

MJ idolized Magic. In high school MJ had a vanity plate on his car: Magic Mike. No lie.

Edited by Majesty, October 14, 2013 - 08:28 PM.

• 40,556 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Okay so you say you're a Laker fan first & foremost & then you turn around & say this? Can you really have it both ways?

yo.

#57 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,191 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Alright let me get this straight...

THIS....

LJMelo_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=432&q=85

nba-highest-paid-2012-13.jpg

IS DISRESPECTFUL TO THE LEGACY OF KOBE AND THE LAKERS ETC!!!!

But THIS ...

nba_u_kobe_durant_melo_b1_576.jpg

Would be just fine?   

Why don't ya'll just admit that you don't care what stars join the Lakers and that the only reason you don't want LeBron on the team is because you want Kobe to beat LeBron and if they join up that's impossible because they'd be going toward the same goal.

But honestly would you really HATE the play by play.. would it eat you away inside to hear "Kobe, to Melo, to LEBRON FOR THE JAM!!!!" 

Or "LeBron on the fast break .. NO LOOK PASS TO KOBE BRYANT!!!!!" 

Or "Kobe has the iso he can take him anyway he wants, Kobe goes!! Pass to Melo.. WIDE OPEN THREE... BANG!!!!!!"

Would that really eat away your soul??!?!?!? Could you seriously sit back and NOT enjoy it???? Really??? As a LAKERS fan???

Edited by Majesty, October 14, 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#58 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,565 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted October 14, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Im fine with LeBron coming here
The one that should stay away is melo
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

• 40,556 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 08:43 PM

I don't expect it to happen of course, but hypothetically speaking just seeing that image of Melo & Bron next to each other in Laker unis with their numbers, it'd almost only be fitting & perfect for Kobe to then go back to #8.

yo.

#60 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,005 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Lol no, I don't even understand how you guys would want Kobe to play with Lebron. Or even seeing Lebron in a laker uniform. Years of rooting against him and wishing hate upon him all of a sudden thrown away because he joined the squad? Nahh, I won't conform to that hipocracy. I want Kobe to win leading the team, not on the back of his rival.

Yes the Lakers will be dominant again and all that stuff, but it wouldn't even be fun being a fan. Part of the joy of the last run was rooting against Lebron and watching Kobe succeed in spite of him, not because of him. And I don't want the Lakers to be even more of the typical rich team that America hates. I want to see them start doing well in the draft and to bring someone new we can build the franchise around. Tired of depending on free agents and trades. That why I wouldn't mind if they tank this season to get a good pick, even if that risks Kobe wanting to retire. I don't want the franchise to be handcuffed like Favre tried doing with the Packers. Yeah, my opinion has shades of hipocracy and irrationalism itself as well, but that's how I feel about the situation. I wouldn't want to be a fan of the Lakers if we bring in Lebron like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users