Photo

Horace Grant Says MJ Would Average 45 Points In Today’s NBA

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

• 40,365 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 10:24 PM

“No, you can’t compare (eras),” he said. “The rules have changed so much from our days and the Heat’s days. It was more physical back then. Today you can run around without getting touched. Today, Michael Jordan would average about 45 points.”

jordan_grant_111128_1.jpg

Read more at http://blacksportson...ARpLyTLuuGeU.99

yo.

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,853 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 11, 2013 - 10:36 PM

and would get 30 fouls a game =p

if we're talking about today's rules. 

Although zone defense would bother him more.  The star treatment would get more head achingly annoying than what LeBron gets. 

What Jordan would have that a lot of superstars today don't is elite isolation defense as in he could shut down another star if he had to.

Especially given how everyone carries nowadays and doesn't know how to dribble the ball away from the defense and always likes to square up, Jordan would get cookies all day.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#3 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,080 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 10:41 PM

Today you can run around without getting touched.

what are these? bunnies?

#4 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,019 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 12, 2013 - 09:37 AM

Zone defense > handchecking

#5 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,987 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted October 12, 2013 - 10:50 AM

Perhaps, I mean players like Lebron get pity fouls when barely going up, honestly half of the time I think the person by the basket was in position, hands up, and outside restricted, and still gets the foul is still aggravating as a general fan. Star treatment today is more unbalanced because of the buddy system, no real superstar like to talk bad about another meaning things like flops and lacking defense are accepted.

MJ alone would abuse the 'superstar' rules, so many opposing fouls. People point out at the zone defense, but athleticism and reflexes trumps zone, which is why hand checking is actually overrated when going against someone who is quicker than you, everything from balance to coordination which a 'smart' offensive player can abuse. Let's not forget the importance of the mid range in today's NBA, and I mean an actual jumpshot not volume.

I don't want to go to 45, but Kobe with a horrible team had 35 ppg, and well alot of the defenses Kobe see's today Jordan never saw. If anything I think Jordan thrived on bully ball. I can't help but think in today's NBA, Jordan would just be a little bored.

#6 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,530 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted October 12, 2013 - 12:08 PM

I'd say 35 PPG

#7 RawDawg

RawDawg

Rookie

• 65 posts
  • Fan Since:'98
  • Fav. Laker:MAGIC!

Posted October 12, 2013 - 01:30 PM

No player, past or present can average 45 in todays NBA. MJ played in an era where there were only 10-15 true superstars MAX. not to mention he was the best athlete AND the most skilled player. Look at Kobe - most skilled player in the NBA? i think so. but most athletic? there is a whole list of players who i think are wayyy more athletic than kobe ever was (lebron, rose, westbrook, griffin, just to name a few). the point im trying to make is athletes are not cars you cant say "they dont make 'em like they used to" because there are many more players today that couldve actually held a candle to Mike than in those days. the whole handchecking and softness argument is stupid because they dont look at the biggest factor in this debate-the fact that todays players are just plain better. There is MUCH more competition today and when you pair that with zone defenses, it seems almost impossible to me that someone could average 45

Edited by RawDawg, October 12, 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#8 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,763 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 12, 2013 - 06:23 PM

I'd say 35 PPG

I would say around this basically. If MJ would get the calls that we see Lebron or wade get he could avg 40.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#9 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 576 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted October 12, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Zone defense > handchecking

When you can't shoot.

#10 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,873 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 03:24 PM

:laughing:

de__anthony_thomas_by_eksde-d5e4v29.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#11 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,436 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 13, 2013 - 05:28 PM

The statement is stupid.  The defensive schemes of today are much more advanced than they were then.  Plus the pace of the game is a lot slower.  I think the year MJ avg 37 ppg the avg possessions per game was like 100 something.  Last year's avg in the league was 92. Thats 8 more chances to score on avg for a team. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#12 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 459 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted October 13, 2013 - 05:33 PM

I would say around this basically. If MJ would get the calls that we see Lebron or wade get he could avg 40.

Wade gets calls? You probably mean Durant and Harden. Those 2 gets all the call they want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users