Magic Johnson No Longer Part of ESPN Countdown

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,174 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 02:25 PM

ESPN sources tell us that Johnson's departure was the result of an old-fashioned power war, with one very clear winner: Bill Simmons. "It's Simmons's show now," said one source.
Magic apparently was not at all happy when ESPN told his buddy Michael Wilbon that his role on NBA Countdown would be diminished. He was "booted," according to one source. Another ESPN insider also said that Magic was "privately seething over the Wilbon thing and in general did not like that Simmons held all the power and influence." Magic didn't necessarily need the power, our sources explained; he just didn't feel like kowtowing to Simmons when he's, well, Magic Johnson.
"The bottom line is they turned that show over to Simmons," said our source. "That's why Doug Collins got hired and why Wilbon was out."

Doris Burke in....

urke said Mark Gross, a senior vice president and executive producer of production at ESPN, suggested the idea of working as studio analyst during a meeting at his office in Bristol, Conn., in August. When Burke is on NBA Countdown, she will navigate most of the ins and outs from commercial breaks. Gross described Burke's role as a hybrid between analyst and host.
[…]
Burke is expected to be part of a NBA Countdown panel that includes in some combination: Doug Collins (ESPN announced earlier this week that it had reached a multiyear agreement with former Sixers coach to serve as a studio analyst), Magic Johnson, Jalen Rose and Bill Simmons. Former Nets coach Avery Johnson and P.J. Carlesimo also remain NBA Countdown possibilities.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#2 Jack Lime

Jack Lime

Rookie

• 360 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 10, 2013 - 02:31 PM

And nothing of value was lost

VN8Tqa1.jpg

#3 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,329 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 10, 2013 - 02:39 PM

I'd be up for it if they pixelated Doris Burke.

Always find myself looking away

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#4 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted October 10, 2013 - 02:41 PM

Great individual and legendary player but didn't translate as far as commentary, never gave any real specifics or insightful opinions, just either flat out praised a player for no reason or stayed quiet for stretches of time. Basically the equivalent of Gruden of MNF.

As for Burke, very smart and articulate woman who knows the sport well. My issue and this is strictly personal preference is just her voice kind of makes it less pleasant, I don't know.

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 03:21 PM

I know a lot of you don't like Simmons here, but at the least, he's not afraid to push the envelope & spice things up a bit and I applaud him for that. He was unhappy as reported several times last season with how no one else seemed to wanna' be on his level with that & encourage it, but as this most recent report states, it appears that the suits in charge may finally be coming around to his way & Simmons may get to unleash more of himself.

As far as Wilbon goes, there was a thread here about his departure a while back & from what I gathered then (which wasn't mentioned too much in this thread's report for some reason), it appears that his leaving had to do more with ESPN wanting him to be able to be on PTI (Pardon The Interruption) more often with his partner Tony K. & not miss as many shows. They have the best chemistry by far being the originals of the show and it makes sense that ESPN would prefer him to focus more on that.

I'd be up for it if they pixelated Doris Burke.

Always find myself looking away

It sucks that it's the case, but again this sorta goes back to the Jaime Maggio/Andy Adler thread to some extent. When you're dealing with sports and the majority of the audience is male dominated, looks often tend to matter. You can have all the talent in the world, but more times than not, fair or not, looks will play a factor and to many, Miss Burke is not the most pleasant Woman to look at when you're watching television.

Now I know that sounds harsh, but it is the harsh reality for many nice or not. I mean honestly, can you imagine ESPN ever choosing Shelley Smith to have such a role?

Life is cruel, especially in the world of sports television regarding Female jobs.

This just happens to be one of those somewhat rare exceptions.

As for Burke, very smart and articulate woman who knows the sport well. My issue and this is strictly personal preference is just her voice kind of makes it less pleasant, I don't know.

Can you think of another Woman who is smart, articulate, knows the sport, is not that attractive, but has a pleasant voice?

yo.

#6 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,329 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 03:42 PM

cheryl Miller comes to mind as a a woman who i think has the 'it' factor and would be great with her knowledge and experience for this type of gig. I still like the NBA TV guys especially Brent Barry for the analysis part of the sport. Even better than tnt which is more comedy frat house stuff.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:01 PM

cheryl Miller comes to mind as a a woman who i think has the 'it' factor and would be great with her knowledge and experience for this type of gig.

You sure about that? I mean even after that infamous incident she had with Scott Pollard on NBATV? Some people think she might even be bi-polar.

yo.

#8 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,096 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:27 PM

You sure about that? I mean even after that infamous incident she had with Scott Pollard on NBATV? Some people think she might even be bi-polar.

She Bi alright ...

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#9 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,329 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:33 PM

I don't know of this. Hitting YT now.

Just watched. Nothing horrible. Perhaps trying to emulate a barkley/kenny smith faux argument. 

Edited by kball, October 10, 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#10 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,112 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 10, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Basically the equivalent of Gruden of MNF.

I don't think that's a good comparison at all. Jon Gruden actually knows what he's talking about and you can tell by the way he breaks down offensive/defensive plays. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:00 PM

I don't know of this. Hitting YT now.

Just watched. Nothing horrible. Perhaps trying to emulate a barkley/kenny smith faux argument. 

Not that bad I agree, but a lot of people were rubbed the wrong way by that immediately after and she didn't stay too long after & I haven't seen her since.

yo.

#12 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,724 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:35 PM

I don't think that's a good comparison at all. Jon Gruden actually knows what he's talking about and you can tell by the way he breaks down offensive/defensive plays. 

agree with windu here

hey may sound annoying, or irritating...or however one would describe it, but he knows his [expletive] for the most part, pretty good insight and analysis

Posted Image

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:38 PM

How can you hate on Chucky? He's got a brilliant mind and his enthusiasm's contagious.

yo.

#14 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,329 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 03:33 AM

Not that bad I agree, but a lot of people were rubbed the wrong way by that immediately after and she didn't stay too long after & I haven't seen her since.

When i was watching i was like, Did they sleep together and it didnt stick and now she's pissed? I'm probably wrong but it seemed like a good ol fashioned one way former lovers quarrel aired kinda in public.

In any case, back on topic. Love Magic. True legend and actually ran into and talked to him at a 24 hour fitness and he couldn't have been nicer. But he spreads himself very thin with all his various business activities. And that pregame show wasn't watchable and not just him. But how can you not be impressed with all he's done since being diagnosed? One of (perhaps) the all time great post career runs of any athlete in any sport.

• 40,431 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 08:36 AM

Sage Steele Officially New Host of ESPN NBA Countdown

Sage-Steele-4.jpg

yo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users