Photo

Jailbroken Apple TV

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

• 40,378 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 09:35 AM

Okay so I had been following this thread a bit before, but not as intensely as just recently.

Got a few questions: how smooth is the playback & how speedy is the overall performance of everything? Is this thing like a beast? Does it hardly ever buffer or have choppy picture?

Also would like to ask what are the major differences between that special box you LF are recommending as opposed to the little black box? Why do you say it's not very good. If anything, I'm seeing a ton of positive reviews for it from various venues... xbmc & all as well

http://www.youtube.c...black box&sm=12

http://www.amazon.co...8&condition=new

Edited by    , December 24, 2013 - 09:35 AM.

yo.

• 40,378 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 09:49 AM

DAMN IT LF! WHERE ARE YOU!? I NEED YOU RIGHT NOW!

lol. Seriously though. I'm thirsty

Spoiler

yo.

#63 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,166 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted December 24, 2013 - 10:03 AM

I'd never recommend the Little Black Box, I've heard nothing but bad about it. I have the Midnight MBox 2 and everything is silk with it. HD videos rarely take time to buffer and we use this every night. Sports isn't the best quality but that's because it pulls those streams from the usual firstrow, etc.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

• 40,378 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'd never recommend the Little Black Box, I've heard nothing but bad about it.

From where though? From who? Why am I not seeing that anywhere?

yo.

• 40,378 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 10:10 AM

and the one that LF recommends that he got.. I wish I could at least find some videos of it or something...

yo.

#66 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,166 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 10:23 AM

There are some reviews online, Amazon even has a lot. The one that clips to the top of the TV I haven't seen in person or any reviews yet since I already have the one I use and it works great for me. 

21lsbya.jpg

• 40,378 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 10:24 AM

^ No I did see yours and it's fascinating as well. Thankfully there's solid info on it enough around, but I was asking specifically toward the little black box. Where did you hear all these bad things or from whom?

yo.

• 40,378 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 10:49 AM

Now I'm doing deeper research and starting to find that supposedly something called Ouya is better than the little black box, although that thing's more for gaming as well, which I don't really care for... any of you know anything about Ouya?

yo.

#69 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 896 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 24, 2013 - 11:15 AM

Wow sorry, didn't see there was action in the thread. Good thing you sent me a pm.

Okay so... As you might already know, I have my own IT company here in Montreal, and we sell some media products as well, including Android TVs.

I honestly sell the Ouyas, and the MBox simply because they sell easier and have better profit margins. The one that clips onto the TV I haven't been able to sell as much, even though I firmly believe it is the best out of all the Android TVs I have tested. 

What do they do? They all do the exact same thing except that the one that clips actually has a camera on it so you could skype and take pictures.

Now the real question is How do they compare to each other? Well, as I said earlier, they all do pretty much the same things because they all run on Android, and therefore you can install any android app you would like onto them. However, Ouya and Midnigt MBox comes with their own custom Operating System which I find really slows down the machine. They also set it up with so much junk software that it slows it down even more. They don't have air-vents so they often overheat, which is something I have been seeing more and more recently in our store.

The one that clips on comes with the stock android Operating System, and XBMC installed and pre-configured. No extra junk, or anything else that will slow down your machine.

It has air vents on the sides, and under it to make sure it always stays as cool as possible and this minimizes overheating. I have gotten waayyyy less returns on this product than the others because of either "overheating issues" or just "too slow" comments.

Honestly, you could probably buy any one of those and will be happy. But going with experience and the odds of what I have been seeing, the clip on one is the best bang for your buck. It works well, doesn't freeze, very little buffering before watching stuff on XBMC (if you have decent internet), and just lasts a really long time. Also I believe the seller on eBay ships it with a remote that has a full keyboard on it.

You could find it for cheaper on eBay, but I wouldn't suggest buying from China because it will take like 6-8 weeks to get here, you will have to pay customs and import taxes. and if you have trouble with it, good luck! When you find a US/CANADA seller, such as the one i Posted which is in L.A, you get it in 2 days, and if you have trouble, you could be sure he will replace it for you. 

Edited by LakersFanatic, December 24, 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#70 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,166 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 02:51 PM

Interesting because my Mbox runs stock 4.2.2 jellybean and all software preinstalled is able to be removed. I agree about the vents but I've never had issues with heat. Also never issues with the speed. Mine runs silky smooth in Android and when XBMC is running.

21lsbya.jpg

• 40,378 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 02:51 PM

Another question, sorry to bug so much, lol. How good is this device at running content from an external hard drive and up to how much can it take? 1 TB, 2? 3? 4? Less? I'm assuming it can play 1080p or blu-ray-like content from there as well? Is it as expansive in formats as say this:

http://www.amazon.co...eywords=hdlinks

Can it playback like avchd content? Is all the playback from content on the external hard drive very smooth or fairly or a bit choppy & sluggish?

yo.

• 40,378 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Feel free to let me know how yours runs content from an external hard drive if at all as well Draztik. I'm curious.

yo.

#73 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,166 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 05:23 PM

I have a TB external hard drive connected and everything plays great. I have plenty if different formats including MKV and no lag at all. Bluray rips included as running well.

21lsbya.jpg

• 40,378 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 05:51 PM

I see that yours in under warranty for a year, but the one LF's suggesting is lifetime. That's crazy. Did you by any chance try & get one of those extra squaretrade warranties? Though I'm not sure if they apply for these things..

yo.

#75 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 896 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 24, 2013 - 09:50 PM

Another question, sorry to bug so much, lol. How good is this device at running content from an external hard drive and up to how much can it take? 1 TB, 2? 3? 4? Less? I'm assuming it can play 1080p or blu-ray-like content from there as well? Is it as expansive in formats as say this:

http://www.amazon.co...eywords=hdlinks

Can it playback like avchd content? Is all the playback from content on the external hard drive very smooth or fairly or a bit choppy & sluggish?

It'll play pretty much any format and up to 1080P, although you might have to install a different media player through the play store for rarer formats.

I use it with a 1tb external hard drive and it runs very smoothly.

#76 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,166 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 12:02 PM

I see that yours in under warranty for a year, but the one LF's suggesting is lifetime. That's crazy. Did you by any chance try & get one of those extra squaretrade warranties? Though I'm not sure if they apply for these things..

Nah I just have the year warranty.

21lsbya.jpg

#77 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,573 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted February 28, 2014 - 09:31 PM

http://www.amazon.co...ds=android xbmc

Buying this, good?

#78 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,166 posts

Posted March 01, 2014 - 05:47 PM

Buying this, good?

I'm using it as I type this. It works great

21lsbya.jpg

#79 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,573 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 01, 2014 - 07:14 PM

I'm using it as I type this. It works great

Cool. It should be delivered by Thursday.

#80 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,338 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted March 05, 2014 - 01:09 PM

Buying this, good?

LOL at the new going for $99 & the refurbed going for $149. 

My buddy swears by his Ouya. I recently seen it in action & the things is pretty sweet. Tons of game emulators. 

Edited by MAMBA24ILL, March 05, 2014 - 01:11 PM.

veqdeg.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users