79 replies to this topic

#1 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 921 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 10, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Any of you have one with XBMC installed?

I just got one, jailbroke it and installed XBMC with all my favorite addons. 

This thing is amazing. you just connect it with an HDMI to your TV, and Wi-Fi to the internet and you watch whatever you want, whenever you want. They are getting a bit expensive now though( $275-$350) in my region. Many people are moving over to Android based boxes. I ordered a few different Android ones and will be testing them all out. I'll let you know which ones I would suggest. 

But yeah, if you are someone who likes streaming/downloading shows and movies, I would suggest getting one. 

If you want to pay the premium price, go for the apple tv. Make sure it's the apple tv2, otherwise it won't be jailbreakable. Otherwise, hold up till I find out which Android based one is the best. 

I'll let you guys know. BTW, I was told they are completely legal, even when used to stream movies and shows for free. The only one who is actually out of the law is the person hosting the videos. Is this true?

#2 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,234 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted October 10, 2013 - 10:30 AM

I wanted to until the atv2 got replaced with newer atv's that can't be jailbroken. I'm not paying over $100 for a media box. I'll be getting a android box with XBMC pre-installed soon.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#3 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,565 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted October 10, 2013 - 10:38 AM

XBMC came out with 'The Little Black Box.'
I have XBMC on my SGS3 so I can watch whatever I want anywhere. I recently bought a Samsung hub hoping I could wirelessly steam/mirror my phone onto my TV but the connection sucks.

2hf753r.jpg

#4 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,234 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted October 10, 2013 - 10:46 AM

this is the box I'm getting:

http://www.amazon.co...d=ALYOLR8YDGC0J

"Little Black Box" isn't an official XBMC product and I haven't read much good about it. the X2 isn't an official product either but it has had the best reviews from what I've seen.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#5 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,565 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 10:51 AM

That does look pretty sweet.

2hf753r.jpg

#6 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 921 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 10:59 AM

XBMC came out with 'The Little Black Box.'
I have XBMC on my SGS3 so I can watch whatever I want anywhere. I recently bought a Samsung hub hoping I could wirelessly steam/mirror my phone onto my TV but the connection sucks.

The Little Black Box isn't by XBMC. I actually bought it and have nothing but trouble with it. I work in IT and Electronics, so I have a bunch of gadgets I don't actually use. I found it attractive so I wanted to try it out. Not worth it IMO. The Wi-Fi continuously disconnects compared to my other devices which don't. It's very slow when you use a media server. Just alot of bugs alltogether. And it overheats alot.

#7 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 921 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 11:00 AM

"Little Black Box" isn't an official XBMC product and I haven't read much good about it. the X2 isn't an official product either but it has had the best reviews from what I've seen.

I ordered the X2. Should be getting it shortly. Let me check it out and let you know if it's any good.

#8 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,565 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 11:08 AM

The Little Black Box isn't by XBMC. I actually bought it and have nothing but trouble with it. I work in IT and Electronics, so I have a bunch of gadgets I don't actually use. I found it attractive so I wanted to try it out. Not worth it IMO. The Wi-Fi continuously disconnects compared to my other devices which don't. It's very slow when you use a media server. Just alot of bugs alltogether. And it overheats alot.

Ok. I was thinking it came from XBMC cause one day I launched the app & a video the TLBB popped up on the menu screen.

2hf753r.jpg

#9 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,850 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:10 PM

I have a S4 and was thinking of getting the WD TV Live so I could take advantage of it's DLNA capabilities. I heard you can also jailbreak and install XBMC into it.

Anybody have any insight on how well it works? All the reviews I read are so mixed.

2div

#10 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 921 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 11:34 AM

Okay, so I ordered this one, and it's beast!

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4d14fe5c76

got it in two days, and it works great. the built in camera is cool extra feature to have for Skype calls and stuff.

XBMC is just the best thing on earth guys. Any show I wanna watch, is there. Any time. On demand and good quality.

If any of you are looking for something actually better than the apple tv, get this one.

BTW, if you call their number, they might offer you a free upgrade on the remote. I got a remote with a full keyboard which makes things just a whole lot easier.

Hit me up if you need more info.

#11 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,416 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted November 13, 2013 - 11:58 AM

Okay, so I ordered this one, and it's beast!

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4d14fe5c76

got it in two days, and it works great. the built in camera is cool extra feature to have for Skype calls and stuff.

XBMC is just the best thing on earth guys. Any show I wanna watch, is there. Any time. On demand and good quality.

If any of you are looking for something actually better than the apple tv, get this one.

BTW, if you call their number, they might offer you a free upgrade on the remote. I got a remote with a full keyboard which makes things just a whole lot easier.

Hit me up if you need more info.

Can you please give me the short and sweet rundown of this product for a complete Tech novice like me?

#12 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,565 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 12:31 PM

THIS!!

Someone told me over the weekend about some promo that Netflix is having & I wanted to laugh so hard.

That Android TV does look sweet. 

2hf753r.jpg

#13 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 921 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Can you please give me the short and sweet rundown of this product for a complete Tech novice like me?

Sure.

So I'll tell you from A to Z how it works.

I took it out of the box, and it's already preassembled with the clamp. You easily clamp it to the TV, connect the power and HDMI cable and you're good to go.

Once it starts up, it has a very easy to navigate through operating system. It's android, just like on an android phone, android tablet or anything else. Just make sure you connect to the Wi-Fi otherwise nothing will work. But they provide a very easy 5-step guide that teaches you how to use the machine very easily. You then move on to the apps you want to use.

You click on apps, and then you have plenty of apps, to which you could add limitless other apps if you wish. 

You could click on Skype, for example, and call your friends and see them fullscreen on the TV, and they can see you with a pretty decent camera that has auto-focus. So the distance at which you're sitting from the TV doesn't really matter.

Now the interesting part. XBMC!

XBMC is an app that you could click on just like any other app. It's a media center.

Inside XBMC, it's very easy to navigate and very "Dumbie Proof" for the tech novice like yourself :P

You can select VIDEOS, MUSIC, APPLICATIONS and other stuff, but I mainly use it for videos.

Inside videos, you select TV-SHOWS or MOVIES. You then browse through different ways to find what you want to watch. You search by Genre, by Most Viewed, by Recently Added, from A to Z, or you can just search for what you want to watch by typing it in. 

If it's a movie, you select one of the many links that appears on your screen and voila! you're watching what you wanted to watch in good quality.

If it's a TV-Show, you then select the Season, followed by the Episode, and finally one of the many links that are provided to you. 

It's just amazing.

Basically setup time takes less than a minute for anyone, including my mom who doesn't know how to use the most basic functions of a computer. And to watch anything takes less than a minute as well.

BTW: for those of you that use Hulu or Netflix, it's installed on the machine as well and are also very easy to use. There's also PLEX, Crackle, Youtube, and countless other apps, and everything works great with very little effort.

Basically, I got it yesterday, and stopped my cable subscription today which I don't invision getting back in the near future. Well worth the money IMO. If you can use an iPhone, and Android phone or any other Smart Phone, then you can use this without any doubt. If you don't, then you go through the steps that are provided, and you'll be an expert in no time.

If you have a few bucks, I'd suggest getting it. You'll save on TV bills, trust me.

#14 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 921 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 03:10 PM

THIS!!

Someone told me over the weekend about some promo that Netflix is having & I wanted to laugh so hard.

That Android TV does look sweet. 

Trust me, it is sweet. and very slick looking too. Doesn't make your setup look ugly.

#15 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,416 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Sure.

So I'll tell you from A to Z how it works.

I took it out of the box, and it's already preassembled with the clamp. You easily clamp it to the TV, connect the power and HDMI cable and you're good to go.

Once it starts up, it has a very easy to navigate through operating system. It's android, just like on an android phone, android tablet or anything else. Just make sure you connect to the Wi-Fi otherwise nothing will work. But they provide a very easy 5-step guide that teaches you how to use the machine very easily. You then move on to the apps you want to use.

You click on apps, and then you have plenty of apps, to which you could add limitless other apps if you wish. 

You could click on Skype, for example, and call your friends and see them fullscreen on the TV, and they can see you with a pretty decent camera that has auto-focus. So the distance at which you're sitting from the TV doesn't really matter.

Now the interesting part. XBMC!

XBMC is an app that you could click on just like any other app. It's a media center.

Inside XBMC, it's very easy to navigate and very "Dumbie Proof" for the tech novice like yourself :P

You can select VIDEOS, MUSIC, APPLICATIONS and other stuff, but I mainly use it for videos.

Inside videos, you select TV-SHOWS or MOVIES. You then browse through different ways to find what you want to watch. You search by Genre, by Most Viewed, by Recently Added, from A to Z, or you can just search for what you want to watch by typing it in. 

If it's a movie, you select one of the many links that appears on your screen and voila! you're watching what you wanted to watch in good quality.

If it's a TV-Show, you then select the Season, followed by the Episode, and finally one of the many links that are provided to you. 

It's just amazing.

Basically setup time takes less than a minute for anyone, including my mom who doesn't know how to use the most basic functions of a computer. And to watch anything takes less than a minute as well.

BTW: for those of you that use Hulu or Netflix, it's installed on the machine as well and are also very easy to use. There's also PLEX, Crackle, Youtube, and countless other apps, and everything works great with very little effort.

Basically, I got it yesterday, and stopped my cable subscription today which I don't invision getting back in the near future. Well worth the money IMO. If you can use an iPhone, and Android phone or any other Smart Phone, then you can use this without any doubt. If you don't, then you go through the steps that are provided, and you'll be an expert in no time.

If you have a few bucks, I'd suggest getting it. You'll save on TV bills, trust me.

Wow, thanks man.

So all those TV shows and movies you browse for are all free? That's incredible.

$130 sounds like a great deal then. I'll have to take a serious look into this.

Also, how good is the movie selection? Good, recent titles? Same with TV shows?

Edited by Lakerace24, November 13, 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#16 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 921 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 04:29 PM

Wow, thanks man.

So all those TV shows and movies you browse for are all free? That's incredible.

$130 sounds like a great deal then. I'll have to take a serious look into this.

Also, how good is the movie selection? Good, recent titles? Same with TV shows?

I've never looked for a tv-show or movie that I havent found.

Also, I saw some movies while they were still at the movies.

tv-shows are normally uploaded within 24 hrs of when they aired.

Wouldn't even think twice if I were you. Just get it, trust me it's worth it.

Plus they offer lifetime guarantee. How could you go wrong with that.

#17 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 921 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 04:33 PM

Oh wow, I just figured something out that even better than everything I just said lol.

the browser has Flash pre-installed. So you could go to sites like atdee.net straight from the device, and stream live sports.

#18 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,416 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 04:43 PM

Oh wow, I just figured something out that even better than everything I just said lol.

the browser has Flash pre-installed. So you could go to sites like atdee.net straight from the device, and stream live sports.

That's definitely spiked my interest but how do you go about blocking pop ups on the browser? The site I use to watch NFL games on always has about 3 pop ups that need to be closed before I can watch. What sort of 'mouse' is available to use while you're browsing? Do you use a remote for that?

#19 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 921 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 04:53 PM

That's definitely spiked my interest but how do you go about blocking pop ups on the browser? The site I use to watch NFL games on always has about 3 pop ups that need to be closed before I can watch. What sort of 'mouse' is available to use while you're browsing? Do you use a remote for that?

So the remote that comes with it has a mouse function. You press on it, and then you move the remote around, and it moves the mouse on the screen to allow you to close whatever popup you want.

However, that isn't the most effective thing, So I just connected a wireless keyboard and mouse to make things a lot easier. It has a USB port, so you could connect any remote, keyboard, mouse or joystick.

The remote is fine, and more than enough for basic functions. But when you're browsing it becomes a bit difficult. By connecting the keyboard and mouse, it simulates exactly like a computer. No difference, except that it's tiny, clamps to the top of your TV, and shows you the glorious 'sigh' Lakers on the big screen :P

#20 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 921 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 05:07 PM

BTW, I played with this one too and all it does is freeze, and lag. I wouldn't suggest it to my worst enemy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users